Tracking

Options
addonald
addonald Posts: 11 Member
Hi All,

I'm new to MFP and I noticed that not only does this program keep track of your calories, but it also tracks other nutrition information such as sodium, carbs, fat, etc. As someone who is just starting out, this all seems like a lot to keep up with. Is it okay to just focus on calories right now? I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks so much!

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I basically focus on calories for weight loss and sodium because it will cause me to retain water and appear heavier according to the scale. Definitely worry about your calories for now and as you get better at tracking and more focused on your goals (wanting to build muscle and would need to increase your protein, for example) then you can focus more on the other stuff. Also, if you are diabetic you may want to pay attention to your sugar level even if you are just starting out.
  • addonald
    Options
    Thank you!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    addonald wrote: »
    Thank you!

You are most welcome! You can add me as a friend if you would like.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will lose weight if you just focus on calories.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I mostly focus on calories and protein. When I include 80-100 grams of protein a day, I feel more satiated and less likely to be tempted to snack on high calories stuff.

Chose 1 or 2 things to start with, you can always add more things to pay attention to when you get the hang of calories.
  • addonald
    Options
    Great! Thank you!
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    As others have said, calories is key.

Personally I like to watch my fibre and protein as well as they help keep my appetite in check, and make getting through the day easier. If I hit these two goals, the carbs, fat and other stuff seems to fall into place.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Oh, and water!!! Make sure you are properly hydrated!!
  • addonald
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Definitely start with just focusing on calories. If you have medical issues, monitor whatever nutrient(s) you need to for that, too.

Beyond that, don't worry about it too much for now. My one recommendation is to evaluate how foods make you feel.

For example....if I eat granola and milk for breakfast (totaling around 300 calories), I'm usually hungry again in about 2 hours.

If my breakfast is 2 scrambled eggs, some turkey sausage, and an english muffin or slice of toast for the same amount of calories, it'll be 3 hours before I'm hungry again.

The more time between meals, the less I'll end up eating overall. Most of the time anyway. I don't like being hungry so I usually eat something as soon as the hungry kicks in.

~Lyssa
  • addonald
    Options
    Good to know. Thank you!