How many hours of walking?

Options

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Set to at least lightly active, maybe higher, or purchase an activity tracker.

This is what I would do...set your default activity to slightly active. Then you don't have to worry about logging.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    As others have said - set your activity level to lightly active and don't log it.
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Get a Fitbit, definitely! Even one of the cheap $50 ones will help. I do retail part time and some days I'll walk 5,000 steps at work and others I'll walk 22,000, depending on how busy we are. Fitbit really takes the guesswork out of it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You only need a fitbit or zip, the HRM ones are no better at logging this kind of activity

But if you don't want to I'd set your activity to lightly active and judge your weight loss over the next 6-8 weeks and adjust accordingly
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'd include it in my activity level and forget about it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    jcal1021 wrote: »
    Hey all!
    I work retail and am on my feet all day. I work 7-8 hour shifts with one 1/2 hr break. The rest of the time I am sticking,helping customers,walking back and forth.

My question is, how should I log this?

Work (including housework, yard work and child care) is part of your activity level, and should not be logged as exercise.

^^^This!!^^^
  • suefromgrays
    suefromgrays Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit honey it got me to goal weight :-)
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Not likely that you're breaking a sweat or getting up your heart rate. I would not log it.

You've obviously never worked retail. Downstacking pallets of freight, and then working said cases of (often heavy) merchandise can absolutely cause you to break a sweat and get your heart rate up.

I also work retail, on my feet 40 hours a week. Some days I work tons of freight, some days I walk the length of the store 20-30 times doing various errands, some days are slow and I catch up on paperwork and other mostly sedentary activities. I set my activity level to lightly active and don't log any of it. Unless I do something insanely higher, like unloading a truck or something. I tried setting myself to sedentary and logging something like 1/2 hour walking or something on "rest days", but I found it made me less honest with my food logging, so I put it back at lightly active. Works for me, and I'm still losing.

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I too love my fitbit zip. I see you only have a few pounds to goal. With so little weight to lose, unless you are very tall, what you set your activity level at is not going to make much of a difference in the calories you can consume and still lose weight. I would set my activity level at active and work at logging my calories in as precisely as possible. Just get a handle on how much you really are eating. If you are not losing or worse yet, gaining, over the next 4-6 weeks, then adjust your activity level down to create a larger deficit and add some exercise.
  • jcal1021
    jcal1021 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! 3 months till my wedding and I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing as much as I can. For everyone that said don't log it,I can see that point of view so I won't. For everyone that said get a Fitbit, I have been looking into them :-). Just needed a few extra opinions
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    culver531 wrote: »
    Hey all!
    I work retail and am on my feet all day. I work 7-8 hour shifts with one 1/2 hr break. The rest of the time I am sticking,helping customers,walking back and forth.

My question is, how should I log this? Could I say a low pace walk? How many hours would I put in to make it fair?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I think its important to realize that if your body is use to this routine walking the store etc. Its not really going to help you lose weight, you need to add exercise that is beyond your regular calorie burn. Like a 30 cardio video, yoga meltdown, or outside jogging or walking after work.
    Why would that walking be any different between my routine 4 mile walks in the morning and evening?

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    That kind of thing is really hard to log unless you have some kind of HRM like a FitBit. I would recommend setting your activity level on MFP to lightly active rather than trying to record the actual amount of walking you're doing.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's already included in your activity level.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    culver531 wrote: »
    Hey all!

My question is, how should I log this? Could I say a low pace walk? How many hours would I put in to make it fair?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I think its important to realize that if your body is use to this routine walking the store etc. Its not really going to help you lose weight, you need to add exercise that is beyond your regular calorie burn. Like a 30 cardio video, yoga meltdown, or outside jogging or walking after work.

First of all weight loss starts in the kitchen

But walking certainly helps and get me fitter than i was.
    I lost almost 100 pounds till now, and my exercise was walking every day!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    If you are on your feet assisting customers and walking about the store straightening things up, set your activity level to lightly active. If you are carrying and unpacking boxes of inventory every day, plus stocking shelves & racks, plus carrying merchandise back and forth often, mark your day active.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend getting a step tracker of some kind. I have a Fitbit Flex; some people prefer the One or Zip, others prefer similar products made by other companies (Jawbone, Garmin, Misfit).

I leave my activity level on MFP set to Sedentary. Once I go above 2k steps for the day, I start earn calories. If I get in ~10k steps, I earn 400 extra calories.

Considering my goal is 1250 before exercise when I'm trying to lose weight, that extra 400 adds up!

Having my Fitbit gives me some flexibility and I'm more aware of how much or little I move. I can choose to just not be as active if I'm really tired that day, earn fewer calories, and eat a little less.

~Lyssa
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would walk 500 miles.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I work 12hr days cleaning homes, i dont log any of it. Its part of my daily activity level. When i first started here, i saw people logging things like gardening, cleaning and such. So i thought thats what i was supposed to do. Well it turns out, i was double dipping those calories. So i quickly learned not to log those things..