Swimsuit Shopping

Options
Anyone else hate swimsuit shopping as much as I do?

My recently graduated son and I are taking a trip in a week just the two of us since he's leaving for college in August. I tried on swimsuits earlier this week and need a new one - much to my dismay - for the trip. We are in a small town so there aren't tons of options number 1, number 2 my shape narrows that down quite a bit more and number 3 the ones that fit and look nice (relative term) are usually way too expensive.

By the time I try on suits, I'm tired, sore from contorting my body to get them on and sweaty from the tiny dressing room struggle and usually depresed by the image of myself in a swimsuit (which is equivalent to a sausage roll with a monoboob and two bags of marbles tucked into flipflops). I guess I'm not even sure what I'm asking for other than emotional support for the ordeal I'm about to partake.

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I hate swimsuit and bra shopping.

I've gotten really lucky though -- I found bras I LOVE so now I just go into the store, pick up my size and be done with it.

AND I managed to buy the first bathing suit I tried on this year!
  • 50x30
    50x30 Posts: 8
    Options
    If you have the funds to do so, try ordering a few online. You'll probably have a better selection of sizes and styles and you can try them on in your own time in the comfort of your own home. Return the ones that don't work out. Zappos has a big selection and does rapid shipping for no extra fee. Good luck and enjoy your trip!
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    Sending you good fitting room karma now, girlfriend!
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Lands' End - if you are near a Sears Store, go there for trying on, if you wish. Otherwise, hop on their Website, chat with a Swim Fit Expert, give them your measurements, and they'll get you hooked up! (yes, I used to work there so I know this - only suits I own and will ever own!)

And, if you don't wanna be cramped in the stupid dressing rooms with horrible lighting, just order online, try 'em on, return to Sears what doesn't fit!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    You may need to take an afternoon and drive further. Secondly, I would write down exactly how you are feeling in that moment of swimsuit shopping and use that as a reminder and motivation. Work hard and by the time your son comes home to visit, You'll be hot mom!!! I also favor swimsuit covers that are like a dress style or the wrap. I am large busted so I bought a cheap strapless to wear under my top. It makes for no more monoboob!! Good luck. PS Love Lane Bryant, you may want to try them.
  • jocewar
    jocewar Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Always for me has really good swimsuits in larger sizes. I ordered one from that site, and believe me, I am not a online shopper for clothes, I always try things on first. But in this case, I read the reviews and such and thought to heck with it and ordered. I got the swimsuit pretty fast, considering I live in Canada and it came from the States. And it fit perfectly!!!! It sucked in my gut and tummy, hid the lovely fat under my armpits, and it flattered my shape. It wasn't too terribly expensive and it is good quality. Just thought Id share that with you.
  • wildwhiterabbit
    Options
    Roamans online has a great selection with super cute and super flattering swimsuits in larger sizes. They usually have a pretty good selection clearanced and their things are super easy to return. I've bought 3 suits from them over the past couple years and have never had any complaints, just lots of compliments!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Miracle suit. Worth every penny! Sucks it in, holds it up and flatters.
  • MindiKat
    MindiKat Posts: 49
    Options
    Miracle suit. Worth every penny! Sucks it in, holds it up and flatters.

I think this is what the old one was in the drawer that just is worn out. It sucks everything in and has underwire but lycra so the cup size is flexible. I even wore it under clothes like a bodysuit a few times until I decided comfort was more important.
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    I like tankinis with a little skirt. I prefer the halter tops (ties around the neck)--more girl support. I hate bathing suit shopping with a passion, so I totally understand! I just always try to remember that nobody cares what I look like anyway!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm both tall and big-busted so swimsuit shopping is a nightmare- I really sympathise! If you have big boobs I'd recommend Fig Leaves or Bravissimo. Not up on American stores I'm afraid but Marks & Spencer also do good, decently priced tummy control. Like everybody else I vote with go online. Good luck!