Pregnant and baby too small...

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes last month dn have been put on insulin. I've changed my diet and lost 5lbs so far. Was actually happy to have gained this morning! However, at my 28 week scan I was told the baby is long, but doesn't weigh enough.

I was told to cut out carbs, which I did, as we worked out that was where the sugars were coming from. However, how can I introduce them again without a huge weight gain? I can't go near rice, that's the worst culprit, and potatoes aren't too great either. I had wholewheat pitta bread yesterday and my sugar levels were crazy high...

I don't know what to do :/ appointment isn't until Tuesday but want to feed the baby!

Replies

• fitmiks2015
    fitmiks2015 Posts: 53 Member
    I had gestational diabetes too, and was told to eat around 150gms of carbs a day. I mostly ate fruits, oats, quinoa and beans to stick to the limit. I spread the carbs over 3 meals and 2 snacks which meant no more than 30gms of carbs at any given meal. I always paired the carbs with some protein. For instance, I'd eat a half a cup of grapes with a cheese stick for snack, or a cup of quinoa with a chicken curry and a salad for lunch. I gained a total of 18lbs over my pregnancy and my daughter was a healthy 7+ lbs at birth. I only weighed 10lbs more than my pre-pregnancy weight after I had my daughter. I've lost all of that and more! Good luck with your pregnancy!
  • mwinters82
    mwinters82 Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you :) they've just told me to cut down but not by how much. I've gained 8lbs in total so far, none the last month :/

Thank you!
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Honestly I would call your insurance company or your doctor and ask them to refer you to a nutritionist that specializes in pregnant women. Asking here isn't the best resource for your baby.
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Ask your doctor. Eat vegetables (not starches.)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Ask for a referral to a dietitian. With my first pregnancy I had GD and they had me go to a dietitian help me with what I could eat, what I should avoid, and of course how many carbs I should be consuming.
  • mwinters82
    Honestly I would call your insurance company or your doctor and ask them to refer you to a nutritionist that specializes in pregnant women. Asking here isn't the best resource for your baby.

Yeah, in the UK but have my appointment on Tuesday.
  • hosek1
    hosek1 Posts: 3 Member
    I'd recommend filling up on meat/fish, low carb vegetables, beans and nuts.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    It is really important to eat carbs that have a low glycemic index - things that take a while to digest. So - avoid white foods (really). More specifically, the less processed the better. Beans, lentils, whole grains, quoina. Dark brown bread (the hard square stuff, not the white bread with food coloring). If you look up low glycemic index you'll find a list. Fruit is too easy to digest. Nuts in smaller quantities.

That way the carbs go into your system slowly and won't spike your blood sugar.

And call the doctor's nurse. She'll give you a list. I bet they have someone on call. This is pretty standard.
  • mwinters82
    Thank you
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    You are on insulin AND have cut your carbs? I had gestational diabetes as well but didn't take insulin. I controlled it by diet, basically carb counting. You definitely need further guidance from your doctor on what to eat. I think if you are taking the insulin you need more carbs than someone who isn't.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    I had GD and had frequent visits to walk through all the nutrition and they had me on a plan that carb-counted and equally spaced them out. Do you have access to that type of care? I think that is pretty standard in the U.S. at least.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Since you are taking insulin, you need to ask your OBGYN to refer you to a registered dietitian; preferably someone who specializes in diabetes management.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Since you are taking insulin, you need to ask your OBGYN to refer you to a registered dietitian; preferably someone who specializes in diabetes management.

Like she says. Or your GP

• suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    I went to the nutritionist and did everything i could to help with GD. i maintained my sugar levels really well with just diet and exercise. But my baby was born with weighing just a little under 6 pounds. But she was healthy.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Having only gained 8 lbs. at 24 weeks could be a real issue for the baby. I'd get to a Dietician that specializes in pregnancy asap. They can help you with the gd issue as well as make sure the baby is getting enough nutrition.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    I would agree to talk with your doctor rather than taking nutritional advice from the internet at this crucial time. I was born at only 4lbs and it didn't do me any favors.