Why so many locked food diary's?

Options
cpeak1
cpeak1 Posts: 9 Member
Just wondering why so many people have their diaries locked and profile locked? Is it just for personal security and should I keep mine locked?

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    some people on here have some really high days, myself included. Only my friends can see my diary, and I really let it all hang out. I do not lie about having eaten a package of oreos to myself, or an 800 calorie hunk of pie for breakfast. Not everyone wants to share all that info with the world :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    -Some people want to hold themselves accountable and not "put on a show" for their friends
    -Some people don't want to be judged for what they eat
    -Many people don't know they can open it
    -Some people think it's nobody's business what they eat
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Because that's the default.
    Because some people are here to track their own food and don't need feedback.
    Because seeing as it is the default, if you go out of your way to unlock it, you're impliedly inviting feedback.
    Because people have different methods and don't want to discuss them.
    Because people have had their diaries open in the past and have been attacked over them.
    Because really, it's none of your business what people are eating unless they want to make it your business.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The default setting is for a locked food diary and many users just don't ever change that setting.

It's up to you if you want to have open access or not.

I have everything locked because I use MFP for my own records. I'm not looking for comments or judgement about my food diary. I'm only accountable to myself. I don't depend on others (or want them to depend on me) for individual support.

On the other hand, some people really enjoy sharing and building a group of friends around themselves while they share everything about their weight loss journey.

You just need to decide what works best for you.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    yeah, I dont put on a show, but I can see the temptation to do so may be really strong. Oh well.
  • cpeak1
    Options
    Ok I get it . Just a question . Don't take it the wrong way. I understand.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    cpeak1 wrote: »
    Ok I get it . Just a question . Don't take it the wrong way. I understand.
    It was a perfectly good question.

I don't think anyone took it the wrong way.

You'll never know unless you ask.
  • cpeak1
    Options
    Thanks for the insight, and I see how it could hurt someone's feelings of people judged them about something they had in their diarie. I would never do that but I see what the pros and cons could be. Thanks again.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Some people just prefer privacy. If you open it, be prepared to hear comments on what you eat, good and bad. There are all kinds of people on the Internet, lol.

I once said that I don't think anyone cares what I eat, but I'd tell anyone who asked what I ate for breakfast or whatever. Then a former poster who was fond of specialty peanut butters asked, just to be a smarty pants, lol. So I told him what I'd had for breakfast.

Nobody has asked since...because nobody cares. :)

Dinner tonight, Sweetart Chicken (I made it up):
    90g chicken breast
    57g Honeycrisp apple
    19g Spansih onion
    45g tomatillos
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    1/3 tsp Dijon mustard
    Splash of Apple cider vinegar

See? Boring.

If you ever want to know, ask. :)
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Because I eat like *kitten* somedays and don't want people to see- it's embarrassing!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I figure it's my business and no one else's, plus I'm not asking for advice. I lock the door to my house. I lock my car. If you start threads where you're asking for advice, then it's a little different. Well, even then it's optional imo. I'm kinda radical on individual rights.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm just not a fan of comments about my eating. I eat now to fuel my lifting and for slow fat loss - so my days are generally high. That said, if someone wants to take a gander, I have no problem unlocking it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why would I open it? I'm not asking anybody for anything...
  • cpeak1
    Options
    I guess I was just wanting to see how other people do theirs because I want to make sure I'm being accurate with my intake. I am still seeing results so I guess I'm doing ok . Anyway thanks for the feeback.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I leave mine open. If go over my allowed amount the only person I'm letting down is myself. I worked out for almost 10hours in the last 4 days. I also ate a box of fried chicken and drank alcohol.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Mine is open and it's not to put on a show, I have never had anyone be rude and if someone wants to be rude, they need to get a life!! I have friends on here that eat different than I do, they stay within their deficit and are losing weight, everyone needs to do what works for them. I also don't feel that having an open dairy gives anyone the right to judge what I am eating, now if I ask the question: please look at what I eat and tell me what I need to change. Than yes I am opening myself up. I don't do that, I also NEVER tell anyone what they should and should not be eating open dairy or not! I have found having my dairy open and having friends with open diaries has helped open up food ideas for myself and other people and have also been asked for some recipes that is why mine is open.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Some people just want to use the tool but not share their diary with the world.

My diary is open. Some of my friends have open diaries and some don't. I haven't really asked them why.
    I don't care if someone else sees my diary. I don't feel emotional or embarrased about my eating habits. No one has made a negative comment to me though.
    I find it interesting to see what other people eat sometimes but I'm not going to give criticsm or advice unless someone asks.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    To be honest, while I calorie count, I don't log it on MFP. I keep my diary locked to avoid the eyerolls if someone stalks my profile when I make a suggestion such as weighing all your food. Just because I don't log it doesn't mean I don't check my food - I keep a good mental count every day. <3 /yes, still losing weight
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I didnt want you to know that on thursday I ate nothing but taco bell...yep, lunch and dinner. by saturday I was down a pound :-)