1200 calorie goal + workouts?

Options
They say 1200 calories is the lowest you should go. Is it okay to make this my goal if I workout a lot to get more calories, therefor actually eating closer to 1600 calories a day? I know some people say you shouldn't eat back your burned calories or not all of them at least. Its been awhile since I've been here.

Replies

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Depends on your stats I would say. What are they, what's your lifestyle and when you put your stats into MFP, what calories did it give you?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    With the MFP plan you are supposed to eat your calories.

I have no idea what your size and activity level are so I'm not sure if 1200/1600 calories is right for you.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Of course. THey just warn against OVERCOUNTING calories.
  • briana12077
    briana12077 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Well it seems like the app gives you a lot extra cals for a workout. For example Ill do the elliptical for 30 mins and on the machine it will say 300-350 cals and the app will say 550 or something and I usually go with what the machine says. Im 270 ibs wanting to lose as much as possible. Also I try to not eat back all of my cals and leave at least 100 or so but that is pretty hard.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I have no idea what your size and activity level are so I'm not sure if 1200/1600 calories is right for you.

Both of these. MFP tends to overestimate workout calories, so don't eat all of them back. Most people eat about half their calories back.

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

Both of these. MFP tends to overestimate workout calories, so don't eat all of them back. Most people eat about half their calories back.

I got 91 calories on my pilates workout this morning. Yeah. Right.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    They say 1200 calories is the lowest you should go. Is it okay to make this my goal ...

Is 1200 what MFP gave you as a goal or are you just picking this yourself?

• marthaelisa80
    marthaelisa80 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I tried 1200 calories recommended by Jillian Michaels but i wasn't losing anything! I switched to 1700 calories and things are going much better for me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i get 1400/ cals/day. i generally eat back half to 75% of my exercise calories. so 1600-1700 is pretty common for me. sometimes i eat them all but not so much anymore (when i started i was on 1200 a day and a raving bitchy hungry lunatic and DID eat them all back! LOL)

i lose a pretty consistent 2 lbs/week the vast majority of the time.
  • briana12077
    Options
    I figure 1200 is low enough so if I eat them all back I will be safe. I just chose that number by myself...
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I figure 1200 is low enough so if I eat them all back I will be safe. I just chose that number by myself...

Why not use MFP to calculate your deficit for 1 lb a week?
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I tired that and failed, im now on 1600 and losing weight each week
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    For long term sustainable weight loss that is too low for most full grown people. Especially if you're going to workout. That would put your daily burn more than your BMR. Please come check out the EM2WL group on MFP.
  • briana12077
    Options
    The app doesnt really give me accurate calories and I want to lose more than 1 ib a week if I can. i have to lose over 100 ibs and 1 a week will take forever. Im shooting for 2 at least. I use those websites with calculators to find out my calories. Honestly most days I am closer to 1500-1600 with exercise but I am still trying for 1200.