Cheat Days

Options
2»

Replies

• annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've never had cheat days, not even now when I'm maintaining which drives my family mad because I refuse to eat anything that isn't good for me. But to be honest, I don't want anything that would be considered a cheat, if I don't fancy eating it or crave it, why should I? Surely eating something more nutritionally beneficial to me, that I WANT to eat, is going to be better. Just now that I'm maintaining, I get to eat a higher quantity of the foods I enjoy, which is a bonus for me. I don't see why I should eat something I don't want for the sake of it.
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Personally for me, cheat days typically end in disaster. I've yet to actually calculate one, but I know it wouldn't be pretty. Also, for me, a cheat day can easily develop into 2 cheat days. Or the space between cheat days begins to drop (instead of every 3 weeks, it becomes every 2, then eventually every week).

This is just a failure in willpower and motivation on my part though. Everyone is different.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I personally eat what I want when I want... and so far, that has resulted in an almost 20 pound loss.

The way I look at it, is the more that you deprive your self, the more your just setting yourself up for failure later on. So if I have really been thinking about a "cheat" food, then I have just one serving. Once I have that one serving, its done and over until I get a major craving again.... and for me, thats not for months at time.

I feel its easier to stick to healthier eating, if you know that you can eat what you want but just in healthier versions.
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Who do you cheat with a cheat day??? YOURSELF!
    I work to hard to keep my self on track i don't want to be
    the one to sabotage myself.
    All restaurants serve vegs and some type of salad I
    would think.

Sorry as a passionate lover of food I would NOT go to a great restaurant and order a bowl of lettuce, no thanks.
  • joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you do decided to "cheat" be prepared, the scale will go up. I was one pound away from my goal so I figured I deserved a cheat day, afterall I hadn't had any soda, chips, candy, fast food or any junk food in over 2 months. Well long story short, I ended up gaining like 5 pounds because my one cheat day turned into 2 and so on... Anyway it took me almost two weeks just to get back to where I was.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think one bad meal a week isn't going to hurt. I always look at it this way... If an overweight person with very bad eating habits ate one low calorie healthy meal per week they are not going to lose weight...so someone who eats well all week long is not going to gain weight by one unhealthy higher calorie meal..

Wow...I never thought of it that way! *high five* lol
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I NEVER schedule a cheat day. That's just silly to me. But I plan to eat well every day, so that whenever a co-worker or friend wants to go out, I can without feeling guilty.
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    and to add I don't schedule them but a couple times a month they happen.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Who do you cheat with a cheat day??? YOURSELF!
    I work to hard to keep my self on track i don't want to be
    the one to sabotage myself.
    All restaurants serve vegs and some type of salad I
    would think.

Sorry as a passionate lover of food I would NOT go to a great restaurant and order a bowl of lettuce, no thanks.

I love food as well, however a salad is much more than lettuce if ordered properly
    red lobsters can really get me in trouble!
  • booboosaw
    booboosaw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I dont think you need a cheat day ..I just dont deny myself everything....I do my best to stay in calorie goal ..so if that means i have to do a extra workout , i do it ... You should be able to enjoy yourself without busting your goal... I just weigh my desires if i really want that extra piece of chicken or that dessert Ive been craving, I weigh that against if I have the time or desire to do that extra workout ...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat what I want and stay in my calorie range, but for special occasions - birthdays, weddings, etc. - a splurge now and then isn't going to hurt you.
  • supersecretsquirrel1877
    Options
    I have a day that I don't count every calorie and eat foods I normally wouldn't but keep my portions small. I don't deny myself anything though...if I have a craving I find a healthy way to satisfy it or just break down, get what I want and eat 1 serving only. I find if I don't do this, I will have a "binge" type day and wreck things for my diet for a few days, then get depressed and next thing you know, it is 5 months later and I have gained 20lbs.
  • ashleynicole8912
    Options
    I think everyone should be able to go out and have dinner at their favorite restaurant once in awhile. As long as you have the will power to keep it to one day, then I don't think it should be much of an issue. I'm going to my favorite mexican restaurant later this week, but I will stay on track after that. If you deprive yourself from the things you love completely, I feel like it would set you up for failure in the long run. But everyone works different, so I guess it really depends!
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Just had my cheat meal tonight... first time I redeemed my coupon this month... but I don't have the urge to go again tomorrow.... I guess it all depends on the individual and their will power/control not to keep binging...