Best running shoes?

Options
What's your favorite? I wanna try the nike frees.

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If you plan on putting in some serious mileage on the shoes, you are probably better off to have your gait analyzed at a running supply to see which shoe is best for you. Personally, I have Saucony Gel Cohesion 7 (I love them) that I picked up from a chain shoe store mainly because I liked the colors and price. But, now that I am running regularly I have realized that I need to get new shoes or orthotics because my right hip goes out and puts pressure on my right knee and ankle to the point that they push in when I run. Even though I do exercises to strengthen my hips and knees I still get out of whack and have pain.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking the best advice we can give a novice runner (I'm assuming you are because you are asking the "Best Running Show" question, forgive me if I've misunderstood you) is to visit a competent running speciality store and get them to work with you to buy the right shoe for you.

But... that said, things are changing in running shoe land, notably the trend (or is it a fad?) towards a more parallel to the ground foot angle via zero-drop or low-drop shoes.

Here's a summary of what the term zero-drop / low ramp angle means:

http://www.runnersworld.com/rt-web-exclusive/zero-drop-shoes

I've become a fan of zero drop shoes and a more minimalist shoe at that, but what's right for you is unknown. Try to find a good shop that is aware of the difference between low ramp angle and traditional shoes so you get an informed fitting, whatever the outcome may be.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Saucony. LOVE Saucony soooo much. I'm an under-pronator, and NO ONE makes shoes for under-pronators as good as Saucony's.

I have bad knees, and I changed my stride to a mid-foot land and stopped over-stretching for distance, and the pain difference is PHENOMENAL. If you tend to get ankle problems, heel strike is better.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Nike Free Flyknit 3.0's mainly because I am a mid foot striker (I don't actually run anymore).

I guess if they work well with your feet, that's good.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Saucony. LOVE Saucony soooo much. I'm an under-pronator, and NO ONE makes shoes for under-pronators as good as Saucony's.

I have bad knees, and I changed my stride to a mid-foot land and stopped over-stretching for distance, and the pain difference is PHENOMENAL. If you tend to get ankle problems, heel strike is better.

See, I HATED my Sauconys. They were awful and I was miserable in them.

This, OP, is why we always recommend getting fitted by a qualified professional in a specialty running store. There are so many tiny variations that can affect your choice in a shoe, and that'll change for each runner over time, too. I started in stability shoes with a significant drop, then gradually transitioned over to neutral, minimal drop shoes.

Trust the pros. They exist for a reason.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Have your gait analyzed and ignore other people's recommendations. Shoes are SO personal and what helped one person could hurt you.
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ditto, ditto, ditto. Don't try the hit and miss approach to running shoes. Somebody loves a shoe and another person will hate it. kkenseth is right, shoes are personal.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »

See, I HATED my Sauconys. They were awful and I was miserable in them.

This, OP, is why we always recommend getting fitted by a qualified professional in a specialty running store. There are so many tiny variations that can affect your choice in a shoe, and that'll change for each runner over time, too. I started in stability shoes with a significant drop, then gradually transitioned over to neutral, minimal drop shoes.

Trust the pros. They exist for a reason.

I did specify for under-pronators. :) Almost no one else manufactures truly neutral shoes! You have to know what your foot does and what that particular style of the particular brand is meant to do. (Other Sauconys are meant for over-pronators, which is much more common. Those are terrible for me!)

Get your gait analyzed and find out WHAT they see. High/low/mid arches, under pronation/correct pronation/mild supination/major supination. Then you can mix and match.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Generally speaking the best advice we can give a novice runner (I'm assuming you are because you are asking the "Best Running Show" question, forgive me if I've misunderstood you) is to visit a competent running speciality store and get them to work with you to buy the right shoe for you.

But... that said, things are changing in running shoe land, notably the trend (or is it a fad?) towards a more parallel to the ground foot angle via zero-drop or low-drop shoes.

Here's a summary of what the term zero-drop / low ramp angle means:

http://www.runnersworld.com/rt-web-exclusive/zero-drop-shoes

I've become a fan of zero drop shoes and a more minimalist shoe at that, but what's right for you is unknown. Try to find a good shop that is aware of the difference between low ramp angle and traditional shoes so you get an informed fitting, whatever the outcome may be.

I'm also a fan of more minimalist shoes. I hate the "heaviness" of more traditional running shoes. That being said the Nike Frees you are thinking of are more this type of shoe. Be aware that you probably will not get the cushioning and other protection from the road that you would get with a traditional shoe. I've learned to hate running on concrete, but that's the only option 'round where I live for most of my running routes. Certainly working on strengthening the feet though.

That being said, go to a running store. If you think you'd prefer the more minimalist style let them know, but also let them fit you with what they think is best.