To Avocado or Not to Avocado ???

Replies

• Alli4Chocolate
    Alli4Chocolate Posts: 139 Member
    I love Avocado! I never tried Subway's...so many it is just how they make it?!
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    I was never a fan of avocado (didn't hate it, just didn't like it), and then all if a sudden, bam, I thought it was the tastiest food in the universe. A few of my friends agree they had a similar experience.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    I like it better with a bit of salsa, or cottage cheese, add it to anything, you only need a little to get the health benefits.
  • dpaden25
    dpaden25 Posts: 99 Member
    Awesome! So the verdict is to Avocado, and ditch the guac Subway has.. never knew it was prepared anything but fresh. Hence their 'EAT FRESH' logo. I'm almost completely done with any prepared food place. Fast food or not! :neutral:
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    in a brown bread sandwich with chicken & lettuce :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Add fresh lemon juice and a dash of garlic salt.
  • jdickson014
    jdickson014 Posts: 1 Member
    Mexican restaurants have great guacamole, but lemon juice and garlic work to
  • jenevievethegreat
    jenevievethegreat Posts: 1 Member
    Mash fresh avocado up with salt, pepper, lime juice, a salsa you enjoy, and some garlic. Go light on salt at first; you can always add salt but you can't take it away. Simple and easy guac recipe guaranteed to be delicious.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Chipotle has great guac! I love avocado though so I can eat a whole one plain. I use it in place of mayo on sandwiches, slice it up in my salads, etc.
  • aprilf05
    aprilf05 Posts: 1 Member
    I like to eat avocado as a dessert by mixing it with a little evaporated milk and a little sugar and then chilling it in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    A great way to use avocados is on sandwiches instead of mayo. If you like mayo on sandwiches, try some mashed avo with a dash of salt.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Seasoning is everything! A little lemon juice, some pepper and some salt. Delicious! I love it with poached eggs, in smoothies to add creaminess, and as a side to healthy chillis and burrito bowls. I could eat avocados for days, I need to ration it. My favourite weekend breakfast is avocado with salt, lemon juice and pepper with super runny poached eggs on sourdough. *drooling*
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I make my own guac and it's killer! Here's what i do:

Smash the avocado in a bowl
    add lemon juice of half a lemon
    add diced onion
    add diced tomato
    add crushed garlic
    add salt
    Bam. Done.

It's easy, and it's delicious. I love avocado in general, but yes i'd say it's somewhat "bland". It's not a very strong taste, but the silky and fattyness it adds is amazing.
  • rgoulart13
    rgoulart13 Posts: 11 Member
    So I love avacados in general so I can eat them just sliced. But if you mash them up, add some lime juice, crushed garlic, and chopped tomatoes (or salsa) put that on a turkey sandwhich instead of mayo...yum! My son and I (let me add that my son is only 18 months old and would eat this every day) love to eat the avacado mixture on toast with refried black beans and a poached egg on top, with a few splashes of hot sauce. Might sound odd but oh so good! And all that protein! Or try making a layered dip with avacado, light sour cream, black or refried beans, salsa, a little shredded cheese, shreded lettuce, and diced tomatoes and onions on top! Good luck finding your love for avacados :)
  • skinnyminnyme80
    skinnyminnyme80 Posts: 11 Member
    I like avocado with my salmon burgers. So yummy!
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Avoiding Avocado because you had it at Subway is like avoiding beef because you tried it once at McDonalds. Knowing Subway, it probably was only about 50% Avocado and the rest was fillers and crap. Chipotle has good guac, and it's easy to make yourself.
  • Garlic_Geek
    Garlic_Geek Posts: 8 Member
    Though probably not quite as healthy as gauc or plain avocado, it can actually be used in place of butter and less healthy fats in some desserts. One of my favorite recipes uses it to make chocolate chunk cookies:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/double-chocolate-chunk-walnut-cookies-51252340
  • goopsmom6719
    goopsmom6719 Posts: 2 Member
    If I have to eat at Subway (my son's current favorite) I get a 6" honey wheat with avocado, not guacamole. I then pile on the veggies and finish it with some vinegar. It's actually not too bad. Trader Joe's has guacamole mixed with Greek yogurt that is very good. I think they call it Guilt-Free Guacamole. I like it on top of their chile lime chicken burgers with some peach salsa, no roll. It's also yummy on a black bean burger.
  • sammyv87
    sammyv87 Posts: 2 Member
    I love avocado. I just chop it up, sprinkle a little sea salt and drizzle with chilli oil. Yum!
  • RAFREGROB
    RAFREGROB Posts: 25 Member
    I just had a chicken and avacado salad with rocket and it was delicious, although my favourite is to slice in half, season with tabasco and add prawns or any seafood really. Amazing!