Struggling on Quetiapine

Options
hi everyone.

I've been taking 300mg of this medication for Bipolar disorder since just over a year ago now. I've gone from a healthy 8st 7lbs (the weight I plateued at when I was in my early 20's- I'm also a short *kitten*) to 12st in a YEAR. I last last this weight when I was very late in to my pregnancy with my daughter.

Has anyone else had any success stories with weight loss and this med? And does anyone know how long it takes to be able to lose weight easily once off them?

I cannot, whatsoever, taper off this med without the green light from my psychiatrist, and I have requested to come off them with his permission. However, as mental health services are these days I've been left in limbo for about a month now and I really want to get the ball rolling, I'm at a point now where I am putting my foot down now that I have unfortunately hit the 12 stone mark (week ago I weighed at 11st 3lbs, I'm gutted)

Megan x

Replies

• rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have been taking this for about 10 years. I take it at night. I have lost 55 pounds in the last year and a half through diet and exercise. In this time I stopped taking Paxil. Not sure if that helped or not but I know that I've been very diligent with the fitness aspect and building a healthier lifestyle.
  • iambabygoose
    iambabygoose Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow well done! It does help because I know that if is actually possible, and hopefully will spark some more motivation for me. So thank you. I'm trying to eat cleaner and push myself to exercise (even in my never ending drowsy state) and cutting down sugar is a biggie for me as the medication makes me crave it
  • amyrose1387
    amyrose1387 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I gained about 8kg in the first 6 months I was on quietiapine. It was really hard, I was just starving hungry all of the time. I also have bipolar and take 300mg each night. I have managed to lose most of the weight I initially gained by doing one thing = no eating at night after I take my meds. I try to take them as close to going to sleep as possible, and since I have done that I have realised the same rules apply to me as everyone else, if I eat more than I burn than I gain weight, if I eat less than I burn I lose weight. Quietiapine does make it harder to eat sensibly and move enough. But it can be done, and it gets easier with practice. Be kind to yourself :-)
  • rdlewis123
    Options
    (even in my never ending drowsy state)

Do you take it during the day? I had to switch to taking it at night. Made all the difference in the world.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I take it at night to sleep. I do have issues with late night hunger because of it so I make sure I have a sizeable snack planned to eat just before bedtime. I have managed to lose over 100 lb while taking it. I am on a low dose, though, so the effects are much less.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I take 300mg (have for years) at night and have lost 35 pounds in the last six months (59 lbs. since Nov. 2014). It would have more if I had been more mindful and motivated. Take it one day at a time or even hour by hour or minute by minute. You can do it :)
  • iambabygoose
    Options
    rdlewis123 wrote: »
    (even in my never ending drowsy state)

Do you take it during the day? I had to switch to taking it at night. Made all the difference in the world.
    I take it last thing at night, I try to aim for about 10pm. But I still feel like I'm in a bubble during the day.

All of your posts give me hope. I've really made the effort the past week so I think as long as I stay motivated and I at least manage to shift that first lbs I might just find the fight in me to keep on going.
  • rdlewis123
    Options
    Hang in there. You WILL see progress!!!
  • iambabygoose
    Options
    rdlewis123 wrote: »
    Hang in there. You WILL see progress!!!

Thank you for taking the time of day to give me a little push! People are so supportive on here :)

• rdlewis123
    Options
    I also sent you a friend request
  • iambabygoose
    Options
    Accepted :smile:
  • Becky_charles29
    Becky_charles29 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have just been put on this - albeit only 50mg - modified release. After years of being diagnosed as having depression, I have just been diagnosed as having Bi-Polar II. I have struggled with weight most of my life, however started making a serious attempt in March this year and, through Prozac and the addition of Quetiapine, have lost at a steady pace of between 0.5 and 1.6lbs per week. It's tricky - but I have found allowing myself a few extra calories at the weekend helps then I am better through the week.