Losing in an odd way...

Options
I have been at this for almost 3 months now. I am really amazed by my progress, but I'll take it!

I have noticed my body loses weight in a certain pattern. I will lose 1-1.5 pounds a week for about 3 weeks, and then the 4th week I will drop sometimes 5 pounds. This is the second time I've gone through this pattern. I am set up for a 2 pound loss.

Nothing significantly changes from week to week. I weigh myself once a week, wearing the same clothes, weighing at about the same time, and weighting without food or drink prior. Today's weight was shocking, and I must have taken it at least a dozen times.

Can anyone shed some light on why I lose a little, then lose a lot? Am I just an oddball? Thanks!

Replies

• adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Things like this happen to most people. Do you notice the big loss right after your TOM? That is what usually happens for women.
  • JennMuc
    JennMuc Posts: 70
    Options
    I am the same way...sorta. I've found that I lose very little (or none at all) for 2-3 weeks and then when I'm getting desperate I drop like 6-7 lbs in the 3rd or 4th week. I'm not doing anything different...I know that's no help to you but you aren't an oddball...or if you are I am too!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have been at this for almost 3 months now. I am really amazed by my progress, but I'll take it!

I have noticed my body loses weight in a certain pattern. I will lose 1-1.5 pounds a week for about 3 weeks, and then the 4th week I will drop sometimes 5 pounds. This is the second time I've gone through this pattern. I am set up for a 2 pound loss.

Nothing significantly changes from week to week. I weigh myself once a week, wearing the same clothes, weighing at about the same time, and weighting without food or drink prior. Today's weight was shocking, and I must have taken it at least a dozen times.

Can anyone shed some light on why I lose a little, then lose a lot? Am I just an oddball? Thanks!

scales are very inconsistent, you might try looking at your sodium intake or lack thereof on the weeks you lose a lot of weight. Or your carbs compared to the slower loss weeks.
  • snickerpants
    snickerpants Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Is it the week after your period? Maybe you're losing water weight that week?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yup. TOM for me :) One nice benefit of having it over: all my water weight disappears.
  • Lpfeifer419
    Lpfeifer419 Posts: 82
    Options
    scales are very inconsistent, you might try looking at your sodium intake or lack thereof on the weeks you lose a lot of weight. Or your carbs compared to the slower loss weeks.

Wouldn't using the same scale help cut down on error?

To answer the question about TOM: I haven't gotten it in about a year because of the obesity. It's very slowly getting back to normal.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I lose an average of about 3lbs a week, but I'll lose 5-6lbs in one week and less than a pound the next. It has been like that consistently. I really don't worry about it, I just accept that it happens like that so don't look for the scale to move much every other week.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Even as a guy with no TOM to factor in, and consistent sodium and calorie level, my weight loss is still not consistent from week to week. I had 6 weeks in a row where I lost .4 pounds one week, followed by two the next.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I concur with previous posters. Even if you are not actually having Aunt Flo to pay a visit, your hormones are still cycling. I have had this happen to me personally.

As a second thought: are you weighing at the same point in your digestive cycle? IOW, have you had a BM each time before you weight? This will have an effect as well.

As a side note: I find it humorous that the only person not to mention this effect was a guy. :p
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options

Wouldn't using the same scale help cut down on error?

To answer the question about TOM: I haven't gotten it in about a year because of the obesity. It's very slowly getting back to normal.

Let me rephrase that, the scale isn't consistent, it's very consistent. The inconsistency isn't the the scale, it's the human body.
    The body can fluctuate as much as 5lbs in the same day.

Let me ask you this, lets say you reached your goal weight and you didn't like how you looked. Would you be happy? What if your goal weight is to lose 50lbs and you lost 25lbs, and you love how you look.

Point is, you're doing all this for a reason, women like to fit in to a new dress, bikini's. Things of that sort, some say they want to look sexy. What does all this have to do with a number? not one thing. Just working on what your "real" goal is.