crankiness

Options
I get really cranky when I'm cutting calories, I guess that means I'm an emotional eater? I hate that I'm like this, do any of you get cranky when your hungry? I feel horrible and grouchy!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I get really cranky when I'm cutting calories, I guess that means I'm an emotional eater? I hate that I'm like this, do any of you get cranky when your hungry? I feel horrible and grouchy!

Perhaps you are aiming for too large a calorie deficit?
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I get really cranky too, i think its just making sure you're eating enough so you're not deprived and eating foods that are good for you and balanced (not three candy bars a day and feeling good cause it was under 1200 cals).
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    More then likely its a mix of too large of a caloric change and depriving yourself. This is really a learning process and a lifestyle change. If you make small changes and slowly reduce youre more likely to be successful in the long run.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options

If you're restricting carbs, that can also be the issue.
  • AliCat2705
    AliCat2705 Posts: 22
    Options
    I get this way too, but its usually because I am not eating enough, or im eating the wrong kinds of foods that have spiked my sugar levels or whatever and then i crash. I would pay more attention to what your eating and make sure its filling calories, and healthy calories. Also be careful not to make to big a deficit, it will just make you frustrated and your more likely to give up. Or binge eat because you are to hungry and that gets ya no where either.
  • lersie
    lersie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get cranky when I haven't eaten much and don't get much sleep. That's when I am at my worst.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am a downright grouch when I am hungry. Sometimes i won't even realize I'm hungry and my husband will say, "jeez you're in a mood, are you hungry!?" You don't have to be hungry when cutting calories though. Choose foods that fill you up and eat more meals that are smaller portions throughout the day. Always keep an emergency healthy snack with you when you start to feel the grouch coming on!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    You're in no rush so trim out one bad thing with a healthier alternative every week until you hit your calorie goal. Go slowly and take some pride in the changes you are making for yourself. Give yourself some mental kudos for sticking with a good day and enjoy it. Try to remember every single day why you started this journey. Crankiness will not last long if you do this...
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Sounds like u need to eat more... If i dont eat enough im cranky... I eat plenty though, never cranky...unless my boyfriend is dwoodling to go out to dinner and im hungry and have to wait an extra hour to eat...then im a biotch. I eat 6-9x a day.. apple/peanut butter breakfast, generall 2 snacks in between--like carrots and a string cheese, lunch, then snacks like a banana and celery, then dinner, then another night time snack 2hours before bed. Minimum i eat 1 snack in between meals and 3 meals (6x a day)
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It will pass! I used to eat a lot of junk but I eat much healthier now, not much in the way of processed foods, refined sugars etc. I'm pretty sure it's withdrawl you're going through. I went through the same thing. Grumpy, cranky, MEAN. It was awful. But, if I ate a bag of chips, or some chocolate, or jellybeans, I felt better. Once I made the connection it was easier for me.
  • annacataldo
    Options
    When you stop caffeine, junk food, sugar, etc ur body can go through withdrawls and make you more cranky... but also if this isnt the case (or maybe its both combined), when my body doesnt eat, i get lower blood sugar levels (even though im not diabetic or pre-diabetic), and it makes me be cranky... so i eat more, and then im fine...

Your also not eating enough calories... Your barely netting 1000calories a day (Starvation mode). You need to have NET calories of at least 1200 a day.. If you are still cranky at that point, try changing goal plans to only loose 1 pound instead of 2, to allow urself more calories, while still being able to loose, and reexamine your mood after doing that for awhile.

Throw in some carrots to munch on, or almonds, popcorn, etc---something that you can munch on for long periods to boost your blood sugar, etc.. It will also boost your metabolism to eat more often.
  • annacataldo
    Options
    lol, also.. Your drinking alot of coffee... did u know coffee depletes the water in your system? Your barely getting 8cups most days, which is the bare minimum you want to be drinking (not the maximum), but then you drink several cups of coffee that near remove all the water from your system that u did drink (when u drink any caffeine drink, u need to drink the same amount of water to replace it--and that extra water shouldnt be counted as part of your daily amount).

Id also be curious to see your sugar levels with having that much milk in one day to go into the coffees, and the pure sugar that goes into them as well.
  • dd122436
    dd122436 Posts: 39
    Options
    lol, also.. Your drinking alot of coffee... did u know coffee depletes the water in your system? Your barely getting 8cups most days, which is the bare minimum you want to be drinking (not the maximum), but then you drink several cups of coffee that near remove all the water from your system that u did drink (when u drink any caffeine drink, u need to drink the same amount of water to replace it--and that extra water shouldnt be counted as part of your daily amount).

Id also be curious to see your sugar levels with having that much milk in one day to go into the coffees, and the pure sugar that goes into them as well.

Thank for your help! Yes I am drinking a ton of coffee, its my "go-to" snack to fill me up between meals. I had a nightmare the other night about the amount of coffee I'm drinking (no sugar in it though) I didn't realize I wasn't eating enough calories? I'm THRILLED to know that! I will gladly eat more! Off I go! Thanks for all your help!
  • dd122436
    dd122436 Posts: 39
    Options
    It will pass! I used to eat a lot of junk but I eat much healthier now, not much in the way of processed foods, refined sugars etc. I'm pretty sure it's withdrawl you're going through. I went through the same thing. Grumpy, cranky, MEAN. It was awful. But, if I ate a bag of chips, or some chocolate, or jellybeans, I felt better. Once I made the connection it was easier for me.

This is exactly my problem I think. Today I tried to eat less and eat mostly protein and my god I was craving sugar like nobody's business! I'm a sugaraholic! I had a piece of bread with peanut butter and the euphoria was disturbing...anyways, I've learned my lesson, thanks for your help!
  • anonymia
    anonymia Posts: 3
    Options
    For me, the crankiness comes when I don't eat enough carbs. Even if I'm strictly watching calories, I have to make sure I consume at least a moderate amount of carbohydrates or I'd kill people on a regular basis (and I don't think that's in the exercise database, so how would I know how many calories I burned doing it?).