TDEE?

Options
I recently got a Fitbit and it gives me an average daily burn ( about 2100) Is this my TDEE?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes, within some margin of error. Or at least it was during that time period.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    what the weird looking dinosaur zombie thingamajigg said
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Trackers like that can get close, but it's best to go by calorie intake. The amount of calories that you can eat and maintain weight over time if your TDEE. That may or may not match what a Fitbit says.
  • hapeximendios
    hapeximendios Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply's. I just thought it was high considering i'm quite old and short!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I had to tweak mine a little to give me slightly less calories when I walk. After that, I found over time mine to be off by +/-70 calories or so per day based on careful tracking over a long period of food intake and weight change.
  • hapeximendios
    Options
    How did you tweak it to give you less calories for walking? The only exercise i do is walking, my fitbit gives me about 400 extra for 10,00 steps (which i do eat!)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    At 120 pounds, you'd probably have to walk over 11 miles to burn 400 calories.
  • hapeximendios
    Options
    So do you think i've got it set up right? 10,000 steps is about 3-4 miles for me? Should i not eat my extra exercise calories? I know that you guys don't know me or anything but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    So do you think i've got it set up right? 10,000 steps is about 3-4 miles for me? Should i not eat my extra exercise calories? I know that you guys don't know me or anything but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Are you meeting your weight loss/gain/maintenance goals at the moment?

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I don't remember all my tweaks. There's a bunch of settings. I think I shorted myself an inch for my height and did a "calibration" of my stride. It knocked my BMR down by about 50 cal/day, if I recall, was one of the changes.

I tweaked this after some CAREFUL data tracking that showed I was losing weight slower than predicted. I think over time it was off by about 1 lb per month at first. If you're worried about the 1 lb mis-calibration... honestly I'm just a nerd and most people probably shouldn't bother.
  • hapeximendios
    Options
    I wouldn't be worried about one lb a month , I haven't got much to lose and it seems to be working. Thanks for your help.