Any advice about a healthy diet welcomed?

Options
Hi, I have just begun a new weight loss/get fit regime. I have my exercise routine sorted, including running, weights and aerobic exercises that I can do at home.
I'm not too sure however what I should be eating in order to maintain weight loss, whilst at the same time intake enough energy to complete my exercises? Any advice would be welcomed, thanks.

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? (Height, current weight, goal, weight, age) What calorie allowance did MFP give you to use to lose weight? MFP is set up for you to lose weight without exercising, and you will need to eat back 1/3 - 1/2 of the exercise calories back that you get from MFP (grossly exaggerated by MFP) or a heart rate monitor (still an estimate but way better than MFP's calorie burn estimates).

Once you have established your calorie goal, invest in a digital food scale to weigh all of your food to make sure that you are eating at goal. Many pre-packaged foods are not correctly weighed in the package according to their information and can cause you to be eating more calories than what you think! Weigh everything! Basically, you can still eat the foods you enjoy just in moderation and by working them into your calorie goals. I have pizza, cheeseburgers, and chocolate throughout the week and have lost 70 pounds in about 18 months.

Good luck! You can friend me if you like.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest logging your current diet for a few weeks to find out what you are doing now. The MFP stats will tell you how much protein, fat, and carbs you are getting in on a typical day. Use that information to make adjustments.

All you need to do to lose weight is to eat less than you are now.

Eating for health is a little different than eating to lose weight.
  • francoisd90
    francoisd90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are many diets out there and lots of people will surely have strong opinions about each and everyone of them.

So my only recommendation would be to find one that you will be able to enjoy and stick to long term.
    For example, if you love meat, don't go vegan and if you hate meat, don't do Atkins !

First thing to do in my humble opinion: stop eating processed junk.

Eat real food (meaning real vegetables or fruits, real meat or fish and not pre-packaged, ready to microwave stuff)

Then you can adjust calories, macros,etc to fit whatever plan you choose.

And most importantly, have fun doing it !

Happy journey to you !
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    There are many diets out there and lots of people will surely have strong opinions about each and everyone of them.

So my only recommendation would be to find one that you will be able to enjoy and stick to long term.
    For example, if you love meat, don't go vegan and if you hate meat, don't do Atkins !

First thing to do in my humble opinion: stop eating processed junk.

Eat real food (meaning real vegetables or fruits, real meat or fish and not pre-packaged, ready to microwave stuff)

Then you can adjust calories, macros,etc to fit whatever plan you choose.

And most importantly, have fun doing it !

Happy journey to you !

Solid advice.