Strength/resistance training on a deficit

Options
What effect does resistance training while on a deficit have on your muscles? Not heavy lifting, just general body weight exercises like lunges, squats, push ups etc. I know it's not possible to gain muscle this way, so is it just a case of preserving existing muscle?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cathjb1989 wrote: »
    What effect does resistance training while on a deficit have on your muscles? Not heavy lifting, just general body weight exercises like lunges, squats, push ups etc. I know it's not possible to gain muscle this way, so is it just a case of preserving existing muscle?

Yep primarily. Encourages your body to maintain muscle mass and shed fat.

Tho 'heavy' lifting is going to be even better at that than just body weight exercise (which is still better than nothing at all).
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    In my experience, doing some basic body weight helps preserve the muscles you have. When you lose weight over a period of time, it will always be some combination of fat, muscle and other organs (like bone). Resistance training will help preserve muscle a bit, and self-supported medium impact (like walking or skating -- or jogging if you're into higher impact) will help preserve bone.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    cathjb1989 wrote: »

Yep primarily. Encourages your body to maintain muscle mass and shed fat.

Tho 'heavy' lifting is going to be even better at that than just body weight exercise (which is still better than nothing at all).

I heavily suggest you lift heavy while in a deficit, OP. ;)

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There have been some studies that would suggest the HIIT can help preserve LBM while in a deficit. I believe the key though is working them hard enough to break down the muscle tissue, so it's forced to rebuild.

But using weights would definitely promote this more vs body weight. And using weights will definitely increase strength more.
  • PattiWalling
    PattiWalling Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I began lifting weights the very day I started eating healthy and have continued for 4 1/2 years now. I have gained muscle and shed body fat. (BF % 51.2 then and now at 28.9%) It helps tremendously. I had lost weight hundreds of times before but never lifted weights or did cardio like I do now. I'm convinced the weight lifting is what has helped me stay motivated more than anything, primarily because I fell in love with lifting and I like knowing when I do choose to sit and watch a little tv (which isn't often) that I'm burning more calories while doing that than I would had I not chosen to build some muscle.
  • grza36
    grza36 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting at a deficit for the past month and change and I'm definitely noticing some muscle development. It's possible that it's because I'm a relatively young man and beginner gains are fairly easy to come by, but I can assure you there was no significant muscle there to start with.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    grza36 wrote: »
    I've been lifting at a deficit for the past month and change and I'm definitely noticing some muscle development. It's possible that it's because I'm a relatively young man and beginner gains are fairly easy to come by, but I can assure you there was no significant muscle there to start with.
    Also could be less fat making the muscle you had more prominent. It would be pretty hard to put on a noticeable amount in a month even in a surplus for most people.

• cathjb1989
    cathjb1989 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks for your replies!