Stopped weight training and jumped on the body weight train.

Options
mrob811
mrob811 Posts: 12 Member
Hello Everyone,

My name is O'B and I have actually been a member for quite sometime. I recently came back though because I started body weight training and need to get lean. I already knew that carbs was my worst enemy, so I have pretty much cut them out of my diet.

Anyone can add me, but especially looking for other carb cutters for some ideas.

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    mrob811 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

My name is O'B and I have actually been a member for quite sometime. I recently came back though because I started body weight training and need to get lean. I already knew that carbs was my worst enemy, so I have pretty much cut them out of my diet.

Anyone can add me, but especially looking for other carb cutters for some ideas.

What? So much no...so, so much no.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Cutting down carbs to help lean down sounds like a reasonable plan to me, sending you a request. I've been trying to keep my carbs between 50-100g/day per the Primal Blueprint.
  • tspencer824
    tspencer824 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am an NPC bikini competitor and I keep my carbs very low at all times other than on my refeed days. If you look at my diary (it is set up calorie wise for a 115lb woman, but you get the picture), you will see my carb intake is from veggies and very low. After subtracting fiber, my net carbs are usually under 35g. I try to keep carbs 15% of my intake. I keep my fats and proteins similar, however, after my show in 5 days, I will jack my fats to probably 50-55% of my intake to help me reverse diet, and gain more size without putting on a lot of body fat.

This is called Keto dieting and I am becoming a pro at it. I love to use recipes that involve protein powder (look at www.rippedrecipes.com which has a tracker for macros, and proteinpow.com).

With my carbs, when I do cycle them, I eat brown/wild rice, sweet potato and oatmeal, mainly steel cuts. I love the oats the most! I always eat green veggies and peppers and this is pretty much a daily thing.

Good luck with the process and be sure to be eating enough and for your body to get the results.
  • mrob811
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

:) read up on 'body types'. I am an 'endomorph'.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    idk, I've done the low carb thing and didn't really notice much of an advantage other then I kind of liked to eat that way.

probably most useful in contest prep

big thumbs up on body weight exercises though. what are you doing there?
  • mrob811
    Options
    I am strictly concentrating on the ability to successfully do certain power feats such as handstand push-ups and muscle-ups. I have taken up yoga as well, due to flexibility being an important part.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

:) read up on 'body types'. I am an 'endomorph'.
    Somatotyping theory has been debunked. It wasn't even discovered by a physiologist, but a psychologist who designated the body types by behavior.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    In for carb love!!!!!!!!!!!

1rebl1xh8a7b.png
  • mrob811
    Options
    I was talking to another buddy about that the other day, Ninerbuff. I have done it before, and it has really worked for me. A personal theory that I had though was that I was simply lowering my daily intake when I cut carbs, thus eating at a deficit. For people that do a lot of cardio, carbs are not an issue. I have always been into weight training though, and the heavier I lifted, the less I had to worry about carbs.

When I trained for a marathon, I could eat all of the carbs I wanted, when I wanted! It was great.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you'd stop using weights in order to focus on body weight training. Sure, the ability to do handstand push-ups is cool, but I'm almost positive that actually lifting weights would help in that area, as well.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I agree that they certainly don't have to be mutually exclusive
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I was talking to another buddy about that the other day, Ninerbuff. I have done it before, and it has really worked for me. A personal theory that I had though was that I was simply lowering my daily intake when I cut carbs, thus eating at a deficit. For people that do a lot of cardio, carbs are not an issue. I have always been into weight training though, and the heavier I lifted, the less I had to worry about carbs.

When I trained for a marathon, I could eat all of the carbs I wanted, when I wanted! It was great.

I don't understand what this means? if you're lifting you didn't worry about carbs- and if you're running you don't worry about carbs??

Ultimately in order to build muscle- you NEED carbs. So if you ever were trying to put on muscle- well- you need dem 'ther carbs for dem gainz.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

That's not a theory, that's what is actually happening. If you are eating 300g carbs a day and all of a sudden drop down to 100g a day, you've cut out 200g (or, 800 calories) that were not allocated into another macronutrient.

Carbs are not inherently an issue. They are generally more easy to overeat, and that can create an issue for people who cannot or do not track accurately. It is not the carbs themselves that cause issue (outside of medical conditions).
  • hopemae2
    hopemae2 Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've done food plans with carbs and I've done diets with low-carb high-fat's, (Keto diets).... i'm not here to argue one way or the other I like them both for different reasons and it just depends on what I'm doing. I think for people that are just getting into weight loss and aren't doing it to do some sort of body competition, should just look at caloric reduction and sensible exercise. I find beginners have a Lotta luck with circuit training, because it doesn't take that long and it keeps their interest and introduces them into basic key exercise elements.

If I were to run a marathon I would not do a keto diet, and while doing a body competition I would not do a high carb diet unless I'm in the bulking phase. I think just being sensible as well as accountable is a great place to start. Every food plan when starting should have some complex carbs, yummy green leafy vegetables, lean proteins, and good fat. Just because you're allowed 1600 cal and you only decide to eat once a day at Subway does not make a good diet plan. Plan lower calorie meals that are well-balanced 6 to 7 times a day. If you're not going to be doing much for the day sure cutting down on your carbs is great. But if you're going to be highly active,hiking all day or something that's gonna be vigorous don't be afraid to add in some carbs.whichever way you want to skin that cat. What's right for one person is not right for another you have to look at your lifestyle and what's gonna work for you. Congratulations on your journey I wish you the best of luck and will be rooting for you!
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    *stars this*
  • mrob811
    Options
    I don't see why you'd stop using weights in order to focus on body weight training. Sure, the ability to do handstand push-ups is cool, but I'm almost positive that actually lifting weights would help in that area, as well.

I have been lifting for quite some time. It is more of a shift in gears to be honest. A personal preference. Truly, weight is weight. Being in the 1000lb club really doesn't prepare me for much. All I have to do is eat and lift.

I ran a marathon a few months back because I wanted to do something different, and get away from the weights. I have been doing the body weight training and noticed I needed to be a lot more lean to be effective at it. I call it living the culture of fitness. No one aspect is the best. The end game is to be as fit as possible.ux4k80ix78ui.jpg

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I have been lifting for quite some time. It is more of a shift in gears to be honest. A personal preference. Truly, weight is weight. Being in the 1000lb club really doesn't prepare me for much. All I have to do is eat and lift.

I ran a marathon a few months back because I wanted to do something different, and get away from the weights. I have been doing the body weight training and noticed I needed to be a lot more lean to be effective at it. I call it living the culture of fitness. No one aspect is the best. The end game is to be as fit as possible.ux4k80ix78ui.jpg

Not to take away from your 1000 club. There is a big difference being in the club depending on how much you weigh and how much body fat% is at that time.

I will never swap out weight training for body weight training. We got different goals though.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Being in the 1000lb club really doesn't prepare me for much. All I have to do is eat and lift.

Strength is never a weakness
  • mrob811
    edited July 2015
    Options
    wrote:

Not to take away from your 1000 club. There is a big difference being in the club depending on how much you weigh and how much body fat% is at that time.

I will never swap out weight training for body weight training. We got different goals though.

Trust that you didn't come close to taking away from my 1000lb club. I earned it. The same way I earned completing that marathon, and the same way I will conquer this body weight regiment. Lol
  • philfryberger
    philfryberger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "I'm not training for a 5k. I'm not preparing for a competition. I'm not trying to set a new record. I'm not trying to impress you. I'm saving my life."