Recovery from holiday crash after overindulging?

I've been "watching what I eat" for quite some time, but really started getting serious about eating clean with no added sugars about a month ago. Well, this weekend was my husband's birthday and the 4th obviously, and let's just say I really overindulged. Both eating and drinking. Sugary cake, ribs, vodka, you get the idea. The next day I felt like crap, horrible headache, and stayed in bed all day. Today my blood pressure is so high and I still feel pretty crappy.

Does anyone know how long it takes to recover from this type of drastic change to my body or any recommendations on how to detox all the sugar away? If nothing else at least next time I think about indulging I will remember how I felt yesterday/today.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    There is no "detoxing" of sugar to be done. Just get back on track and do a little bit of physical activity to burn off some of the extra calories you endured over the weekend.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    I agree with that advice. Your body processes will sort everything out.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    sugar is not a toxin, so why would you feel the need to detox from it????

I probably over ate by about 1000 calories this weekend, which is no big deal because I am back on track today.

Maybe you feel like crap because you drank too much...

Also, I would ditch the whole clean/unclean/good/bad food mentality...
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    I was in Spain for 5 days, didn't eat fantastically. Just get back on track. Less than 2 weeks since I left for Spain and I'm already 4lb lighter than when I left :P just keep moving forward!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    just move on with your life. no fixing it- just move on.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

This.
  • ndj1979
    my one piece of advice would be to increase water intake to help flush out water retention/bloat
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I probably over ate by about 1000 calories this weekend, which is no big deal because I am back on track today.

Maybe you feel like crap because you drank too much...

Co-sign.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    And how do you know it was the food and not too much sun or late nights? There's no need for guilt, you had fun and now it's time to get back into your usual routine!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    You're hungover and dehydrated. Drink more water and move on.

Maaaaybe consider taking a more moderate approach to added sugars so that you don't overindulge when you do eat them.
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    The best thing I've done/do after a day of non-stop eating is - going to the gym the next day. All the surplus of calories and stored energy can be extremely useful. Put all that energy to good use and workout heavy.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2015
    khkramer6 wrote: »
    I've been "watching what I eat" for quite some time, but really started getting serious about eating clean with no added sugars about a month ago. Well, this weekend was my husband's birthday and the 4th obviously, and let's just say I really overindulged. Both eating and drinking. Sugary cake, ribs, vodka, you get the idea. The next day I felt like crap, horrible headache, and stayed in bed all day. Today my blood pressure is so high and I still feel pretty crappy.

Does anyone know how long it takes to recover from this type of drastic change to my body or any recommendations on how to detox all the sugar away?

So you drank like a fish and ate ribs and stuff, but it's the sugar you need to 'detox' from? Alrighty, then. :)

Just log it, drink lots of water, and move on.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    biodigit wrote: »
    The best thing I've done/do after a day of non-stop eating is - going to the gym the next day. All the surplus of calories and stored energy can be extremely useful. Put all that energy to good use and workout heavy.

yup, this is what i do.
  • ndj1979
    betuel75 wrote: »
    biodigit wrote: »

yup, this is what i do.

I would of done that yesterday but the hangover sucked too much....LOL
  • khkramer6
    khkramer6 Posts: 5 Member
    I've been hungover lots of times in my life but never felt this hazy 3 days later. I'll keep drinking more water. Thanks everyone. Also not to start a debate but I do feel a million times better since cutting out processed and refined sugar in my diet. I started with drinks made only with juice but all the sweets.. cookies, brownies, cookie brownies lol I felt so foggy I didn't even make it to my favorite gym classes the past 2 days (and one of them was yoga.. really should've went to that one!) I'm going to step class today for sure.

I've not seen my BP this high in a very long time it just had me worried this is different than a normal hangover. Thanks again I appreciate all your advice.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    khkramer6 wrote: »
    I've been hungover lots of times in my life but never felt this hazy 3 days later. I'll keep drinking more water. Thanks everyone. Also not to start a debate but I do feel a million times better since cutting out processed and refined sugar in my diet. I started with drinks made only with juice but all the sweets.. cookies, brownies, cookie brownies lol I felt so foggy I didn't even make it to my favorite gym classes the past 2 days (and one of them was yoga.. really should've went to that one!) I'm going to step class today for sure.

I've not seen my BP this high in a very long time it just had me worried this is different than a normal hangover. Thanks again I appreciate all your advice.

I too have felt like utter garbage after over indulging like you described. And I am talking times where alcohol was taken our of the equation. Drink lots of water and get back to eating the foods you are used to. Next time you'll remember how bad the food hangover was and indulge a little less.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    People can say what they want but I know on the rare occasions I have strayed from my normal diet (no added sugars and minimal carbs) I felt awful (bloated, sluggish...). It usually lasts a few days. I suggest, as others have, drink a lot of water and try to make it to the gym. It's a good reminder as to why you choose to eat as you do.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited July 2015
    Your body can still process the food. It didn't forget.

The booze might take some time to process, especially if there was lots of it. That stuff actually is toxic, unlike the food.

If you're still not well a day later, call the doctor.

I felt stuffed yesterday after two days of indulging. Stuffed and not all together well, lol. But not actually sick. I didn't booze it up, though. The hunger didn't hit me until near bedtime and I just ignored it. I ate about 700 calories yesterday. Today I'm all good.

And amazingly, I seem to have gotten away with it. I did some extra workouts and ate low-cal yesterday, but compared to what I'd done July 3rd and 4th...if you go by the numbers, there should've been some increase by today. Nothing! I was all prepared for it...and it may still show up!...but so far, nothing. Like it never happened.

Yay. :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    800 mg Ibuprofen and lots of water - straight from the US Navy Corpsman guidebook. Not really, but my goto cureall after a particularly good night.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2015
    And bacon. Lots of bacon. :)

To put this minor blip into perspective, your thread title "Recovery from holiday crash after overindulging?" could've been about something a hell of a lot worse than a mere hangover.