Recomp Workout Plan (Maybe?)

Options
thop83
thop83 Posts: 47 Member
edited July 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Lately I've been going to the gym with my brother and a friend and have been following our own homemade routine. Lately, I've been reading that people are suggesting to pick a routine that is known to work and there is proof of such claims. I've been thinking on this and though I want to recomp, I would like to build some mass as well. I'm eating at maintenance each day and have found the following workout to try. To the recomp professionals out there, would this be a decent routine to follow or would it matter enough for me to change from my routine:

Monday:
Bench Press
3 sets of 6-8 reps.
2-3 minutes rest between sets.

Rows
3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Incline Dumbbell Press
3 sets of 8-10 reps.
1-2 minutes rest between sets.

Lat Pull-Downs
3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Lateral Raises
2 sets of 10-12 reps.
1 minute rest between sets.

Triceps Press-Downs
2 sets of 10-12 reps.

Dumbbell Curls
2 sets of 10-12 reps.

Tuesday:
Romanian Deadlifts
3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Leg Press
3 sets of 10-12 reps.

Seated Leg Curls
3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Standing Calf Raises
4 sets of 6-8 reps.

Abs
x sets of 8-15 reps.

Wednesday:
Rest

Thursday:
Pull-Ups
3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Barbell Shoulder Press
3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Seated Cable Row
3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Dumbbell Bench Press
3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Dumbbell Flyes
2 sets of 10-12 reps.

Barbell Curls
2 sets of 10-12 reps.

Skull Crushers
2 sets of 10-12 reps.

Friday:
Squats
3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Split Squats
3 sets of 8-10 reps.

Laying Leg Curls
3 sets of 10-12 reps.

Seated Calf Raises
4 sets of 10-12 reps.

Abs
x sets of 8-15 reps.

Weekend:
Rest

NOTES: Same weight for each rep for each set. Going up in weight after all 3 sets are in the range of the workout being done.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    where did you get this workout routine from? Are you new to lifting?

check out the below sticky on recomp:

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

• thop83
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

I've read the entire thread actually and no, I have been lifting for about 3 years now. Only recently got into the act of counting out calories and eating at maintenance.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Recomposition:

I've read the entire thread actually and no, I have been lifting for about 3 years now. Only recently got into the act of counting out calories and eating at maintenance.

I would suggest find a lifting routine that is designed by a pro and is structured, rather then trying to design one on your own ..

wendlers, ice cream fitness, etc,...
  • thop83
    Options

Recomposition:

I would suggest find a lifting routine that is designed by a pro and is structured, rather then trying to design one on your own ..

Not sure if the one above is considered "by a pro" but it can be found:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/

My current workout plan (made by myself, brother, and friend) is as follows, and I can give the details of each day as well if needed:

Monday: Chest/Triceps
    Tuesday: Back/Biceps
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Shoulders
    Friday: Legs
    Weekend: Rest
  • ndj1979
    Options

Recomposition:

My current workout plan (made by myself, brother, and friend) is as follows, and I can give the details of each day as well if needed:

got ya...

sounds like a decent program with progressive overload built into it.

The one thing I did notice is that there are no deadlifts....
  • thop83
    Options

Recomposition:

got ya...

In my current plan or the one from the website?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Recomposition:

got ya...

I meant the one from the website.

sorry...
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    It's your typical 4-day Hypertrophy split. It's decent for a recomp. If you're sole purpose is to change the way your body looks then this is a good program to follow. Don't over think it.

In my opinion - a 3-day/week full-body plan is what I prefer. Here's the program I'm currently running during my bulk. It can be used as a recomp plan. It's just meat & potatoes of wanting to look good.

http://content.tigerfitness.com/juggernaut-fitness-linear-hypertrophy-program/

• ndj1979
    Options
  • thop83
    Options

Recomposition:

got ya...

I meant the one from the website.

sorry...

No worries mate. I do plan on doing the Romanian deadlift with that workout if I choose to do it.
    jmule24 wrote: »
    It's your typical 4-day Hypertrophy split. It's decent for a recomp. If you're sole purpose is to change the way your body looks then this is a good program to follow. Don't over think it.

In my opinion - a 3-day/week full-body plan is what I prefer. Here's the program I'm currently running during my bulk. It can be used as a recomp plan. It's just meat & potatoes of wanting to look good.

http://content.tigerfitness.com/juggernaut-fitness-linear-hypertrophy-program/

I'll look into that also, thank you for the input!
  • jmule24
    Options

That duck face though......lmao!!! Barbell curls with 10lb rubber plates looks so badass too.....lulz.......

Nick - if the OP simply wants to look good and isn't worried about building strength then they don't need a 5 rep scheme. A basic hypertrophy based plan with progressive overload will get them stronger over time too.....
  • thop83
    Options

Thank you for this!
  • ndj1979
    Options

That duck face though......lmao!!! Barbell curls with 10lb rubber plates looks so badass too.....lulz.......

Nick - if the OP simply wants to look good and isn't worried about building strength then they don't need a 5 rep scheme. A basic hypertrophy based plan with progressive overload will get them stronger over time too.....

LOL ...

true..I was just tossing it out there as something OP might want to consider..
  • jmule24
    Options

LOL ...

Variety - the spice of life!!!! :smile: Dude looks like Dolph Lundgren's love child.........LULZ
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

LOL ...

Variety - the spice of life!!!! :smile: Dude looks like Dolph Lundgren's love child.........LULZ

I prefer the spice melange.

2955147513_9da8db6434.jpg

stole dis

DA UNIVERSE

to the OP:

uhh that routine looks complicated as *kitten* and only appropriate for a bodybuilder, if even appropriate for anyone at all

if you are new then ignore your friend and get on a program like Starting Strength
  • jmule24
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yoooo BROOOO.....not everyone needs to hop on SS if they are new to lifting......just sayin'

the-rock-return-o.gif

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

LOL ...

stole dis

DA UNIVERSE

to the OP:

uhh that routine looks complicated as *kitten* and only appropriate for a bodybuilder, if even appropriate for anyone at all

if you are new then ignore your friend and get on a program like Starting Strength

Pretty sure OP said they aren't new to lifting.
  • jmule24
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

LOL ...

stole dis

DA UNIVERSE

to the OP:

Pretty sure OP said they aren't new to lifting.

Soooooo...what's your HELPFUL addition to this thread then????