Did it take some getting use to seeing you look different?

Options
After some weight loss we being to look different. Slimmer face, neck line, breast maybe. Clothes fitting different. Wondering if we still "look good" or not.
How did you get use to the new you?
Were you self conscious all over again?
Did others say "please don't lose anymore weight?
How are you feeling within?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No it really didn't. I got a lot more hateful stares from larger ladies, especially when I go to town on ribs at a restaurant.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Any big shift in weight can be hard to get used to. Our bodies can change faster than our mental image of ourselves.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If this isn't a ladies only thread... Yeah. I strongly identify as a bigger guy. 6' tall and atleast 240lbs most of my adult life. And usually pretty strong at that.

Coming up on an even 200 now and sometimes I feel weird being this small. I think that's one way we get trapped in the world of fatness, we come to identify our selfs this way and we simply see others as... Well, others.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    1.5 years into maintenance after losing 80lbs...and yes...I still look in the mirror and see a fat guy from time to time.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I still look at the XL shirts when shopping then snap back to reality and remember that I'm a medium now.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am much more self conscious about how I look now than I was when I was heavier. As a fat woman, I felt like I could blend into the scenery a bit more easily and I felt like there was no point to dressing as nicely as I could, etc. Now I spend more time trying to figure out if an outfit looks okay or if I need to go down/up a size or if my hair looks weird or my forehead is too big. It's annoying.

I haven't had any "don't lose more weight" comments. My family and most of my friends have known me for a very long time and thus knew me when I was thin before. I am at a healthy weight now, compared to too thin then so I'm not at a point where they would be alarmed or worried about me.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I remember after losing my first 20lbs looking at my hands one morning and being startled - they looked skeletal to me. I could see my veins across the back of my hands more clearly, my fingers were slimmer and my knuckles were defined.

I had a mini-panic attack thinking my hands were wasting away or something, then I realized I'd allowed myself to get so fat that my hands got fat.

Since, I've learned that my fat loss tends to happen from my extremities in (meaning hands, arms, feet, lower legs, upper chest, then the rest) first and I look forward to seeing what new surprises my hands hold for me. I'm loving the changes now and I find they're really fun to watch slowly emerge - like how I love watching hip definition slowly come about. Plus, now that I have bony hands, I deal more pain while punching in karate. It makes being the only small woman fighting in a group of men twice my size much more fun.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Ugh no I still look in the mirror and see the fat girl there. It's something I'll probably have to deal with forever.
  • tiffanyslimdown
    tiffanyslimdown Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for commenting MFP mates.
    Seeing a slight difference in my under chin and neck was like a "whoa" moment for me. I didn't see that plump face and big jaws people had been calling pretty all my life.
    With more weight to lose, a great deal of it, I better get prepared to have many "whoa" moments lol.
    Happy Healthy Lifestyle y'all!!! I plan to lose 50lbs by November.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It took a long time before I noticed any real difference. At 60 pounds down, I was still, "I'm not sure if I see any difference...maybe..."

But now I see it. And it's freaky. Seeing bones in places where bones were never visible. As if it's not normal. Feeling my knees when they knock together, etc. Lots of changes. Every five or ten pounds now makes a HUGE difference.

I'm just used to seeing mounds of fat and seeing bony shapes is weird. Like my arms shouldn't be bone-shaped - they should be big and round.

I'm starting to have a waist. Everyone comments on it (very annoying,) Two days ago someone mentioned that I am going to have an hourglass figure. She's not wrong. I'm starting to have curves.

After all those years of just having big fat blobs all over my body, this is all taking some time to get used to. It has taken years to get the fat off, but now that I'm developing into a normal-shaped person, it seems like it's happening so very quickly.

And it's just weird.

Wrinkles, too. They're popping out and that just sucks asps.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    [quote="Kalikel;33161238"

Wrinkles, too. They're popping out and that just sucks asps.[/quote]

I was worried about this. I can remember my mom telling me that fat would fill out my skin and keep me from having wrinkles. So far (knock on wood) I think I'm doing okay without it but only time will tell.
  • LindaKuglarz
    LindaKuglarz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I still look at the XL shirts when shopping then snap back to reality and remember that I'm a medium now.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal a few weeks ago (83 pounds down) - and I'm still having a hard time "seeing" myself. During the 15 month long process, I had "ahhh" moments, but I still can't wrap my mind around what I actually look like now.

ffze9chnjyan.jpg
  • marijoski
    marijoski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice the weight loss until I went to try on dresses at a store and noticed how nice my shape was. All the curves in all the right places... lol
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a ton, but enough to make a noticeable difference, and I'm down two pants sizes and one shirt size. I don't see it in the mirror. Only in pictures. It's depressing, but at least I know it's working.

0da4da83440b89fd59b81e951ce4b4f9072c.jpg
  • tiffanyslimdown
    Options
    I haven't lost a ton, but enough to make a noticeable difference, and I'm down two pants sizes and one shirt size. I don't see it in the mirror. Only in pictures. It's depressing, but at least I know it's working.

0da4da83440b89fd59b81e951ce4b4f9072c.jpg

It's definitely working & you look good! Hang in there, I'm going to need encouragement also.
  • tiffanyslimdown
    Options
    I hit my goal a few weeks ago (83 pounds down) - and I'm still having a hard time "seeing" myself. During the 15 month long process, I had "ahhh" moments, but I still can't wrap my mind around what I actually look like now.

ffze9chnjyan.jpg

Have a hard time wrapping your mind around what you look like now, really.
    I would hate to lose & forever see the "obese" me. How well do u accept compliments from others?
  • webs_21
    webs_21 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've lost 4.5 stone and still think I look exactly the same I probably more self conscientious now then I was before. It's only when I look at pictures I think oh I look different here. ylaik4ca6ncz.jpg
    1cii7gyajue5.jpg
  • tiffanyslimdown
    Options
    I can only smile & think..... How will the new me be!?
    Great reads!
  • tiffanyslimdown
    Options
    webs_21 wrote: »
    I've lost 4.5 stone and still think I look exactly the same I probably more self conscientious now then I was before. It's only when I look at pictures I think oh I look different here. ylaik4ca6ncz.jpg
    1cii7gyajue5.jpg

So does it really become addicting after a lost, thinking that enough is never enough?
    You look great!