Going to a Japanese steakhouse tonight, what should I get?

Options
tusher2011
tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
I'm a vegetarian and I looked up the menu online and it looks like I can have this:

tofu-vegetables (fried tofu, grilled royal trumpet mushrooms, asparagus, bok choy)

Does that sound ok? How bad is it that the tofu is fried?

Replies

• KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I looked up the menu online and it looks like I can have this:

tofu-vegetables (fried tofu, grilled royal trumpet mushrooms, asparagus, bok choy)

My guess is the fried part of the tofu won't add as many calories as the rice you will probably eat with it. :) Looks fine to me, as long as you log it as accurately as possible and it fits within your limits.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Oh my. Fried tofu? Surely there's got to be something else on the menu. If all else fails, enjoy your night out, eat your meal in moderation, and get right back on track tomorrow!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    If the tofu is being cooked on the hibachi, then it won't be deep fried. If not, you could always request that it be stir fried or sauteed.

Drink lots of water and enjoy yourself!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    ...Japanese Steak?
    lol
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sorry...had to...
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    ...Japanese Steak?
    lol
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sorry...had to...

m220712844.jpg
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Tofu is very often fried in an attempt to give it some flavour. Ghastly stuff. Not that I'm anti-veggie, paneer is one of my favourite Indian foods, but really if that's all they have to offer, it's a bit pointless going to a Japanese steak house - I hope for your sake you're going because you're in great company, rather than the food!
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Tofu is very often fried in an attempt to give it some flavour. Ghastly stuff. Not that I'm anti-veggie, paneer is one of my favourite Indian foods, but really if that's all they have to offer, it's a bit pointless going to a Japanese steak house - I hope for your sake you're going because you're in great company, rather than the food!

Oh trust me....this was and would never be my first choice!!! Dinner with a few girlfriends and everybody was raving about it and didnt' want to be the loser that said no:)
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Oh trust me....this was and would never be my first choice!!! Dinner with a few girlfriends and everybody was raving about it and didnt' want to be the loser that said no:)
    Eat a proper meal before you go and just order a side salad! :bigsmile:

Hopefully the restaurant will have a good ambience and the girls will be good company so the food isn't the main focus. Have fun. :)
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Eat a proper meal before you go and just order a side salad! :bigsmile:

Oh wow. That sounds like a blast.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Kobe beef from Japan is the best! About $10-20 per pound. It is a special treat. Too bad you're a vegan. Its not a bad thing, just Japanese beef is TDF.
  • gwynh
    gwynh Posts: 160
    Options
    Kobe beef from Japan is the best! About $10-20 per pound. It is a special treat. Too bad you're a vegan. Its not a bad thing, just Japanese beef is TDF.

My husband just went to a nice Japanese Restaurant in Little Rock AR. He asked the waiter how much the Kobe Beef was per pound. He said it was only $135 a pound. :noway:

I guess the Earthquake and tsunami have had a major impact on that market.
  • crystalinda
    crystalinda Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Have some of the sides, edamame (soy beans), miso soup, the stir-fried veggies,spring rolls (not fried), and salad. All veggie all high in protein/fiber. Or take other poster's suggestion and eat in advance to curb your appetite and just enjoy the company.

Agree with the other poster that said not to have the rice, its high in carbs and calories and low in overall nutrition. Also agree with other poster about the tofu - if its prepared on the hibachi it will likely be sprinkled w/ oil but not deep fried in it so it won't be too bad.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Kobe beef from Japan is the best! About $10-20 per pound. It is a special treat.
    For price per pound, read ounce... If it was as cheap as $20 per pound, I'd be eating 4oz steaks every day! :bigsmile:

Our advice is kinda wasted on the OP though, who is a vegetarian!
  • TourThePast
    Options
    [quote}Have some of the sides, edamame (soy beans), miso soup, the stir-fried veggies,spring rolls (not fried), and salad.[/quote]Oh yes, I agree, edamame beans are not so much a food as an activity toy, and miso soup is delicious, especially with shredded "bits" in, eg egg / spring onions (you may call them green onions in the US?) and noodles.

Also, as it's a Japanese establishment, they may also serve sushi - reasonable sized portions are healthy. :smile:
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Oopsie on price of Kobe beef. My bad. It is awesome. I have had it.