How to make working out in the morning a habit?

Options
2»

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Planning helped me.

I lay out my clothes and plan out the workout I'm doing the night before. This helps to save time and takes the guess work out of what am I going to do.

In the morning I wash my face + brush my teeth, throw on my clothes, have a glass of water (no caffeine or snacks needed) and head to my home gym.

After a couple of weeks it became a habit. It feels great knowing my workout done first thing at the beginning of the day, plus it helps to energize me. I should note that I've always been a morning person, self-motivated and gotten good sleep prior to working out in the morning so I'm sure that helped me as well.

Good luck!
  • liftlovelunge
    liftlovelunge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wake up to work out at 5am and although it's become a habit it's not always easy. Here are some things that help me:

- Get to bed early the night before
    - Know what type of workout/routine you're going to do in the morning
    - Pretend your snooze button doesn't exist
    - Splash your face with cold water when you wake up
    - Chug a glass of cold water before your workout

Getting out of bed is the hardest part. Don't lose sight of what motivated you to want to work out in the first place (:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    When I hear a question like this I feel the person is not ready yet.
  • Annahasababy
    Annahasababy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have a friend who does this wOrk out w you. Or have a friend or family member call you to encourage you. After 10 days of forcing yourself it should become habit.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Try just getting started. Make yourself do it for a week or two. I started doing C25K in the mornings and was shocked when I started walking up before my alarm for the first time in my life (I was a snooze button addict). If you are lucky, you will find the increased activity helps change your sleep needs.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    4712270_need-some-motivation-shia-labeouf-screaming_46e5bb05_m.gif?bg=5C9B69

Looooool.

I am so pumped right now for real.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was setting a limited goal to achieve. I started 30 Day Shred and promised myself to just see it through those 30 days of getting up early and working out. Completing that goal was all I worried about, and following a set program made it easy to just get up and do it. By the end of that month, the habit had stuck, and I've been working out in the mornings ever since.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    What worked for me was setting a limited goal to achieve. I started 30 Day Shred and promised myself to just see it through those 30 days of getting up early and working out. Completing that goal was all I worried about, and following a set program made it easy to just get up and do it. By the end of that month, the habit had stuck, and I've been working out in the mornings ever since.

I had the same experience with C25K. It helps to have a defined program you can check off each day. With a finish line in sight!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    All the others are correct - just do it consistently until it becomes habit. I am sooo not a morning person. I am more of a mid-day kind of gal but I know myself. If I put off exercise for the evening, chances are I am not going to do it. After a long day at work and knowing I have to cook dinner? Motivation goes out the window.

I set my alarm for 5 a.m. get up and get my protein coffee smoothie, potty, brush teeth, change and am in the gym by 5:30 a.m. My clothes are laid out the night before and my water bottle and coffee protein smoothie is already waiting for me in the fridge beforehand. I do this Mon-Fri and allow myself to sleep in until 7 am on Saturday and take a rest day on Sunday.

Do I like getting up early? No way ... however, I like how I feel once I step out of that gym each day and that is why I do it. Oh and also so I can eat what I want :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Bull! OP has sleep issues, it's a legit problem for some people. In that case, it's tricky to figure out the best time for their bodies.

Also no one has to work out early in the morning to be committed.

I still say late afternoon / early evening is worth trying if you haven't, OP. That works for me, anyway.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Bull! OP has sleep issues, it's a legit problem for some people. In that case, it's tricky to figure out the best time for their bodies.

I still say late afternoon / early evening is worth trying if you haven't, OP. That works for me, anyway.

I guess I have "sleep issues" also, b/c I love my sleep too. It's a good thing I love my early morning workouts more!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I guess I have "sleep issues" also, b/c I love my sleep too. It's a good thing I love my early morning workouts more!

I'd like to hear what are these sleep issues that would override someone who wants to get something done?

• AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I just switched back to morning workouts. I get up at 4:30 am so that I can be home / showered and ready to get my kids out of bed by 6:30. There are really only 2 things that make this successful - 1. It's my priority. 2. I don't stay up too late at night.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

I'd like to hear what are these sleep issues that would override someone who wants to get something done?

Chronic insomnia, for one?

Something can still get done at 5 pm
  • Donnamar86
    Donnamar86 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the "just do it "comments.
    I am not a morning person, and spent the last year forcing myself to get up and exercise. I have all my workout clothes ready to go, I stretch and get started.I tried to set a schedule to workout in the afternoons, but that lazy side of my often kept me from sticking to it.

The plus sides are the time you have in the afternoon, and it helps knowing that I have an approaching rest day which makes sleeping in that much sweeter :)

This works for me, and occasionally if I have the energy I hit the gym after work.

Good Luck.