Macros vs. calories

Options
Which is better, counting based on macros or calories? What are the benefits of counting macros?

Replies

• JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Counting macros, I imagine, can work for certain circumstances, such as weight lifting (need a lot of protein) or if you have diabetes (gotta watch those carbs) but it doesn't always tell the whole story if you're just trying to lose weight.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If you're counting macros, then you're literally just a simple math problem away from knowing the calories as well. Why would these two things be mutually exclusive?
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Oh god, this is not going to end well.
  • JoanaMHill
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    If you're counting macros, then you're literally just a simple math problem away from knowing the calories as well. Why would these two things be mutually exclusive?

They aren't always. But if you're just starting out, seeing "500 calories" for a meal is easier than figuring out how many calories it is from the fat, carbs and protein counts.
  • BetterBod91
    BetterBod91 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Okay because I've heard of people who have lost weight that count just macros and don't pay much attention to calories. I thought that there may be some benefits to doing things that way.
  • aybarlow
    aybarlow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'd say that if you want to just "lose weight", counting calories will be just fine for you. If you are wanting to change body composition, macros may be the better way to go so you're fueling your body sufficiently for muscle growth, fat loss, etc. I have done both but have been more successful changing my body by macros.
  • JoanaMHill
    Options
    Okay because I've heard of people who have lost weight that count just macros and don't pay much attention to calories. I thought that there may be some benefits to doing things that way.

I'd say MAYBE. It depends on the person. But really, keeping a leash on your macros is just another, slightly different way of counting calories since, like the person said above, each macro has a certain calorie count per gram.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I always count both, it's not particularly hard maths at all.

Lets say, you're eating 1800 calories.

It's 60g protons, 270g harbocydrates and 52g fats.

Protein; 63g x 4 = 252 calories
    Carbs; 270 x 4 = 1080 calories
    Fats; 52 x 9 = 468 calories
    TOTAL; 252 + 1080 + 468 = 1800

Idk, I coun't both.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple to count both, especially with mfp as it gives you a running total of both.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about the calories. People sometimes ask a question like, "I've hit my calorie goal for the day, but am under on protein. Should I eat more to hit the protein goal?" That's a personal decision. Depends on your personal goal.

I gave up on macros. I was forever eating protein foods that I didn't want and skipping foods I did want. It was a mess. I cannot eat to a number.

Now, I eat healthy food and watch my micros. I want to try to get all my nutrients from my diet and am working on that. The macros just have to fall where they may. Very often, I'm under on protein and over on carbs. I'm fine with it.

I don't eat X amount of calories a day, either. Some days, I'm hungrier than others. When I'm hungrier, I eat more. When I'm less hungry, I eat less. Some people call it "intuitive eating." :)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

It's 60g protons

Protons are delicious but they don't give you as much energy as eating electrons.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

It's 60g protons

Protons are delicious but they don't give you as much energy as eating electrons.

no.
  • katerams
    katerams Posts: 50 Member
    Options

It's 60g protons

I laughed
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Which is better, counting based on macros or calories? What are the benefits of counting macros?

Whatever keeps you at your required calorie goal for weight loss or whatever your goal is. Hunger signals and energy output depend on the macros, but weight change depends only on the calories.

So...both? Its a Catch 22
  • RockstarWilson
    Options

It's 60g protons

Eat as many neutrons as you want though. Those are free :-)
  • RockstarWilson
    Options

Its anecdotal. Some people eat in such a way that, if they count their macros, their body will only take in a certain range of calories, or they won't need to eat more than is necessary.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If you are counting anything at all, then its calories you need to count to lose weight. But macros are important too. You need balance in your diet. You need a good amount of protein. You don't want to restrict your fats too severely because your food won't taste good and you won't be able to sustain your calorie reduction. No one has trouble getting enough carbs. Carbs are in just about everything.

Eat quality food - unprocessed food and lots and lots of fruit and vegetables.
  • angelaleip
    angelaleip Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    In my opinion, you can optimize performance and likelihood of reaching your goals if you count macros, but it depends on if you want to put the time and effort into doing it