I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

Options
Hi all,

This is my first post so please be kind!

Around 3 months ago now I decided that enough was enough and I needed to lose some weight.

I'm 5"11 and started at 12st7. Three months later and I'm....wait for it... 12st6 :(
I've been eating well, putting in correct amounts, going to the gym 3 sometimes 4 times a week but just can't shift my weight at all!

I've given up twice, for about a week then i start again. But nothing is working. I started at a 1300 calorie intake and have steadily made it down to 1000 calories to see if that made a difference. Alas, no!

At the beginning of the year I went on a low carb diet and lost 5 pounds, but piled it straight back on when I came off of it, so that's a no go for me now.

Any tips or motivation people can lend me? I just feel like giving up all together if I'm honest :(

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If you'd please kindly answer these questions:
    • Are you using an electric scale to weigh your foods?
    • Are you weighing accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?

Also, open your diary so we can look at your logging. Don't eat at 1000 calories, the minimum RDA is 1200 and I still think that is too low for most.
  • workmss
    workmss Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'll also ask if your body measurements are changing??

don't let the scale master you..its just a number. Keep putting in the effort for the entire time you've set aside and see where you end up. I know in the past when I've lost weight that it was almost to the end of the 12 weeks before the scale showed any significant change.

Keep the faith. Working out and eating right is rarely a bad decision. However, reducing your calories that low is bad for you and could send your body into starvation mode and make it hold onto every calorie it gets. So give that some thought.

Stef
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    workmss wrote: »
    I'll also ask if your body measurements are changing??

don't let the scale master you..its just a number. Keep putting in the effort for the entire time you've set aside and see where you end up. I know in the past when I've lost weight that it was almost to the end of the 12 weeks before the scale showed any significant change.

Keep the faith. Working out and eating right is rarely a bad decision. However, reducing your calories that low is bad for you and could send your body into starvation mode and make it hold onto every calorie it gets. So give that some thought.

Stef

No. It's a myth.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How are you determining your caloric intake? Can you open your food diary?

(and no starvation mode as that poster used it isn't a thing).
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I hate this conversation, starvation mode may not be a thing but metabolic damage certainly is and I think that is what most people refer to when they use the term starvation mode. If you are not eating enough your metabolism will slow and burn fewer calories. Your body is a complex machine and needs to be treated properly.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You are not eating at the deficit you think you are.

To put it simpler: You're eating too much.

HINT: You are not eating at the 1000/day you think you are, or we wouldn't be having this conversation, right?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I hate this conversation, starvation mode may not be a thing but metabolic damage certainly is and I think that is what most people refer to when they use the term starvation mode. If you are not eating enough your metabolism will slow and burn fewer calories. Your body is a complex machine and needs to be treated properly.

Go away.

Your misinformation is not needed here.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    If you'd please kindly answer these questions:
    • Are you using an electric scale to weigh your foods?
    • Are you weighing accurately? i.e. using grams instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, HRM or machines?

Also, open your diary so we can look at your logging. Don't eat at 1000 calories, the minimum RDA is 1200 and I still think that is too low for most.

^^this!
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You are not eating at the deficit you think you are.

To put it simpler: You're eating too much.

HINT: You are not eating at the 1000/day you think you are, or we wouldn't be having this conversation, right?

ALL of this!
  • ashleebear23
    ashleebear23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    In all honesty I haven't been using an electric scale, I have a pretty demanding job so don't always have time to weigh my food! The last couple of weeks I've majorly slipped out of MFP so my diary as it stands is a load of BS ha.
    I've been writing my calorie burns off of the machines, as MFP was counting way higher.

Would you recommend the way to go is to weigh food ultimately?

I have noticed a change in my body shape which is great, just want to look at the scale going down now!
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    In all honesty I haven't been using an electric scale, I have a pretty demanding job so don't always have time to weigh my food! The last couple of weeks I've majorly slipped out of MFP so my diary as it stands is a load of BS ha.
    I've been writing my calorie burns off of the machines, as MFP was counting way higher.

Would you recommend the way to go is to weigh food ultimately?

I have noticed a change in my body shape which is great, just want to look at the scale going down now!

You need to be weighing your foods to get the correct amount of calories into your body. You have been eating more than you think, I'm afraid.

Eat around 50-75% of your calorie burns from machines because they are notoriously inaccurate.
  • ashleebear23
    ashleebear23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How long of weighing until I start to see some weight loss do you estimate??

Thanks for helping!
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    How long of weighing until I start to see some weight loss do you estimate??

Thanks for helping!

Usually, in the first week of calorie restricting you will see some water weight reduction. After that, it sort of depends on the person... for some people the scale doesn't go down but the measurements does in the first week.

Just keep with a caloric deficit, made accurate by logging foods :)
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Go away.

Just for clarification, you don't think metabolic damage is real?

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Go away.

Just for clarification, you don't think metabolic damage is real?

Eating 1000 calories for a couple weeks isn't going to cause long-term metabolic damage.

That doesn't mean it's good idea.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    take pictures, take measurements, and use a food scale. After 4 weeks, check and see if there was a change (and don't have your check in week be your TOM, lol).
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I also suggest getting yourself a heart rate monitor. I find that it is more accurate than what MFP and the machines calculate what you have burned. I find that MFP and the machines can either be way under or way over. This gives me more peace of mind when I use my heart rate monitor. I wear mine like a watch, it's with me all day, every day.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Let's not hijack the OP's thread.

OP, if you open your diary, there is a good chance folks here will be able to point out some issues that may be preventing your weight loss.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    Let's not hijack the OP's thread.

OP, if you open your diary, there is a good chance folks here will be able to point out some issues that may be preventing your weight loss.

We already pointed that out.

• DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Meal prepping is the way to go if you don't feel you have time in a day. I meal prep on sundays, and takes me up to a couple hours to cook everything. I weigh everything in my containers, and then prelog the meals I prepped. It has worked for me so far. :)