dizzy when I take a multivitamin

Options
2»

Replies

• martinettebee
    martinettebee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses.
    Seems to be any brand but presently it is the COSTCO version of mens one a day vitamin.
    I don't feel dizzy throughout the day, or during workouts, or on an empty stomach....but as soon as I pop a multivitamin...within minutes I feel dizzy. It passes but kind of freaky.

Ill switch brands, and only take it on a full stomach but if it continues it aint worth the trouble.

Within a few minutes? Sounds like a placebo effect.

That is why I am posting. Seemed strange to me, cause it is virtually instantly and I am thinking to myself "how can it even react that quickly and make me dizzy".

I will monitor carefully the next few days and make sure I am on a full stomach and not exhausted from a workout. Start with the most likely culprits first. I never ever get that feeling from taking aspirin, or other pill forms of supplements (not like I do often!) so I really was hoping to make this a ritual but I don't need this happening.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I was taking Boots Multivitamin and Mineral with Ginseng every day for about 2 years and felt good afterwards, then all of a sudden a couple of months ago, I started getting really nauseous and dizzy a minute after I took it. It was the weirdest thing ever.

I have just emailed Boots to ask if anything has changed in the ingredients or production process...

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    You don't have any food allergies by chance? Reason I ask it that, I have Celiacs disease and have to be real careful about the pills that I take, since some of them contain gluten.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    What is your water intake?

I don't think this is what's triggering, but its recommended to take an additional 2 glasses of water to help flush out your renal system when taking a multi.

Your reaction is much too quick, so it has to be something in that brand of vitamin. Can you get a full blood work panel and see if you have some vitamin deficiency? Chances are you don't need a multivitamin to begin with.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I never take the multi alone, but if I take the vitamins on an empty stomach, I will get horribly nauseated and a little woozy. One time, I vomited. After a few episodes - when I actually threw up, lol - I linked the nausea to the vitamins and began taking them with food. Voila, no more nausea or wooziness.

Even a little granola or a couple strawberries seems to do the trick.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I Can you get a full blood work panel and see if you have some vitamin deficiency? Chances are you don't need a multivitamin to begin with.
    You can over do it with some of those vitamins. The smart approach is to figure out what you are deficient in and fill in the gaps individually. If you eat health enough you don't need a daily multi. If you do take one everyday and already eat sufficient amounts of say vitamin A and constantly adding to it, your body will hit a threshold eventually. Vomiting is a common symptom of overdosing/poison levels. Make sure you read the labels and watch you own food micro-nutrients.
    Full blood panels will solve this case the fastest.
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The first 2-3 days of taking my B12 supplement, I also felt dizzy. It did go away after that.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    multivitamins make my stomach upset so I usually take them right before bed.
  • ppinto1234
    ppinto1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What you think about Solaray Brand?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if the vitamins had iron in them? I had the same problem when I was a kid, my parents would give me a vitamin (you know those flintstones ones!) and every morning on my walk to school I'd throw up. Apparently I can't tolerate straight up iron. Since switching to vitamins without iron I'm fine. May be the same scenario for you?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I'm curious if the vitamins had iron in them? I had the same problem when I was a kid, my parents would give me a vitamin (you know those flintstones ones!) and every morning on my walk to school I'd throw up. Apparently I can't tolerate straight up iron. Since switching to vitamins without iron I'm fine. May be the same scenario for you?

I hope they already worked it out.... Over 3 years of being sick from a multivitamin is a bit much!
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »

I hope they already worked it out.... Over 3 years of being sick from a multivitamin is a bit much!

Woah didn't realize this thread was that old LOL 😳
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Anyone else experience this?

It happens almost every time I take a vitamin, i get real dizzy after and it prevents me from taking them consistently.

Definitely worse after a workout or on an empty stomach but I can't seem to find anything online about other people noticing it.

I can take it with food from now on but just wondering if anyone else noticed this effect at all.

Take them with food, it helps.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    Definitely take with food, esp soluble fat, since it helps absorb. You can also try switching brands. It keeps up, it might be time to see a doctor. Maybe you don't process something well? Maybe a filler is causing it?

The only vitamins that are fat soluable are A, D, E, and K. So this may help a little, but multivitamins are notorious for making people feel nauseated, it's why I never recommend them to my clients.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Dang. Zombie post.
  • JocylinAnthony
    JocylinAnthony Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know Im a whole three years late but I swear I have the exact same problem. Two- three weeks ago, I bought the Walmart brand one-a-day Women's vitamins and I get a headache after about 20 minutes every time I take them...unless I wait until around 4 PM to take it. If I take it before that, doesn't matter if I've drank over 60oz of water or ate breakfast or whatever, my whole body feels weak.

I began dreading taking them to the point where instead of taking them at 9AM every morning it was gradually getting later and later. Now, even if I haven't really ate more than 250-300 calories (sometimes I just eat an apple and a bag of chips for breakfast 😂🤦🏽‍♀️), as long as I've drank around 50oz and I take it in the afternoon, I don't feel nauseated and I don't get a headache. I don't know though, maybe my body is just getting used to the vitamin intake now? Anyway I'm just glad to see someone else had this experience as well because my sister didn't believe me when I brought it up to her.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I know Im a whole three years late but I swear I have the exact same problem. Two- three weeks ago, I bought the Walmart brand one-a-day Women's vitamins and I get a headache after about 20 minutes every time I take them...unless I wait until around 4 PM to take it. If I take it before that, doesn't matter if I've drank over 60oz of water or ate breakfast or whatever, my whole body feels weak.

I began dreading taking them to the point where instead of taking them at 9AM every morning it was gradually getting later and later. Now, even if I haven't really ate more than 250-300 calories (sometimes I just eat an apple and a bag of chips for breakfast 😂🤦🏽‍♀️), as long as I've drank around 50oz and I take it in the afternoon, I don't feel nauseated and I don't get a headache. I don't know though, maybe my body is just getting used to the vitamin intake now? Anyway I'm just glad to see someone else had this experience as well because my sister didn't believe me when I brought it up to her.
    If it's a tablet, try cutting it in half (or thirds) with a razorblade. It's probably the high amounts of b-vitamins ingested at once that is causing you problems. Build up your tolerance. Also take it in the middle of a meal or after. I'm guessing you didn't have issues taking it at 4pm because you had more food in your stomach to buffer it.
  • AntonyC77
    AntonyC77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Anyone else experience this?

It happens almost every time I take a vitamin, i get real dizzy after and it prevents me from taking them consistently.

Definitely worse after a workout or on an empty stomach but I can't seem to find anything online about other people noticing it.

I can take it with food from now on but just wondering if anyone else noticed this effect at all.

Yes, I do.
    I have taken all variations of Centrum AND I thought I'd give Seven Seas Cod Liver Oil based multivitamins a try - as the "Filler" could be causing the reaction. I felt exactly the same - off balance and a slightly fuzzy head throughout the day once taken the tablet. I took these for over a week before stopping. Within 24-48 Hours of stopping, I felt absolutely fine.
  • DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread but I need it to come back alive!!! I'm looking for a daily multivitamin. Why are some so cheap (10 bucks for a bottle from Walgreens) and some SOOOO expensive (50 bucks a bottle at GNC.) Does it matter? If you google this information, the articles that come up all seem to be written by the vitamin companies.
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Vitamins always make me 🤢 🤮