what was your final straw?

Options

Replies

• Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My final straw was a couple of things. Big family reunion last summer in which I was only in 2 pictures because I was parked on a picnic bench all day which started me thinking about how I was missing out on my life. Then right around Christmas I was reading Where's Waldo with my 4-year-old nephew, who had to stand next to the rocking chair instead of sitting on my lap because i have no lap, and he said, "look auntie Cole! A big fat lady, just like you!" I know that he didn't say it to hurt me, in fact he often says he likes to sit next to me best because I'm so soft & squishy, but that hurt me more than any stranger's comments. I knew at that point that i just couldn't live like this anymore. I'm incredibly lucky to have the support of my family, friends & most importantly my boyfriend, it's much easier when you have people supporting & believing in you. And my nephew loves that he can go hiking with his Auntie Cole now.
  • jaystacers
    jaystacers Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    when my younger 120 and 110 lb. sisters were at my house swimming and when I went to jump in the pool one of them said everyone watch out shamu is going to drown us all. Then they all made jokes about how the water was moving like a tidal wave hit when I jumped in. Thank goodness we were in the water because they couldnt tell that they made me cry. I have never forgot that and I have lost 16 lbs. since then, so maybe I should be thanking them.
  • ischmelle
    ischmelle Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    sannferris wrote: »
    The last straw? Which time!!

This!! My final straw never seems to be my final. At this point, I'm working on a whole box of straws!!

• Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    jaystacers wrote: »
    when my younger 120 and 110 lb. sisters were at my house swimming and when I went to jump in the pool one of them said everyone watch out shamu is going to drown us all. Then they all made jokes about how the water was moving like a tidal wave hit when I jumped in. Thank goodness we were in the water because they couldnt tell that they made me cry. I have never forgot that and I have lost 16 lbs. since then, so maybe I should be thanking them.

I'm sorry your sisters are such B******s. My sister has always been thinner than me our whole lives but she has never made me feel bad about it. I never really realized how awesome my family is until I came on this website & started hearing about people's own family members making fun of them. Jeez!
  • SharronRiddleHoudek
    SharronRiddleHoudek Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I ignored the photos and the scale, because everyone in my life was telling me I looked beautiful no matter what, as the pounds packed on. My moment was when an MRI showed my liver was enlarged due to fatty deposits. I knew I had to do something, my life depends on it. I'm down 12 lbs so far.
  • slks320
    slks320 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My final straw was in NY I lost all the pics I took and so people sent me pics of me that they had took, when I wasn't looking, from behind, when I couldn't crop the pictures myself or delete the unflattering ones I realized that weight loss and looking and feeling good are not as simple as deleting what we do not want to see; it is about accepting it, learning from it then DOING something about it. So today I started the 12 week Venus program and am seeking out strangers for support, encouragement, and understanding where my family and friends seem to be lacking those qualities that I so desperately need!!!
  • Life0fbrian
    Life0fbrian Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had a lump in my arm and thought i was going to die from cancer, ended up being nothing but it changed me for the better and i appreciated what i had and made change.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Doing some spring cleaning and finding my tiny running shorts from the last half marathon I ran, and not even trying to put them on because I KNEW they wouldn't fit.
  • asmith2013
    asmith2013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am consistently being asked "when are you due" I am not pregnant nor have I ever been. My older sister has 3 children (13, 6, &4) and she is much smaller than I am. After a pool party at her house over the weekend I realized I am bigger than all of the other women in our life's and I have absolutes no excuse!
    I am currently 5'3'' 200 lbs and want to lose 70 lbs. Today is day 1 of my weight loss journey!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For me, photos played a huge factor. The picture of me that I have in my head, and even what I see in the mirror, is completely different from how I appear in photos.

So true.

Looked at myself in the mirror today at work. I look awful. Not only weight, but skin and hair. I've GOT to start taking care of myself. One day at a time.

I also noticed that eating crap every day was affecting my skin- sallow and pale, no glow whatsoever. 6 months on MFP and I've lost 41 lbs. and think my skin and hair both look better.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough the protests against Protein World. I looked at all the unhappy women and realised I was unhappy too. Not because of some kind of oppression by an advert but because I was unfit and unhealthy.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For me, photos played a huge factor. The picture of me that I have in my head, and even what I see in the mirror, is completely different from how I appear in photos. I absolutely hate taking photos now. It was also discouraging to look at myself in old photos, which I'm trying to use as motivation now.

I agree with this too. The crazy part is that it worked in the reverse, as well. Now that I'm nearing my goal, I'm surprised by how thin I look in photos. Trust, me, that's a first!! You can do it!
  • daintyinches
    daintyinches Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My recent and absolute last final straw came when I had been binging for weeks at a time and hadn't been able to get back on track. I kept gaining and gaining and gaining weight. The time before school starts is ticking down every day. This year is the year I am coming back completely changed and with a brand new body. I have come so far and I refuse to stop. This is final and I'm doing it. I have been on track for 4 days now and have lost 0.8 pounds. :) Gonna keep going until I am at my goal weight!! Then I'm gonna maintain. No more fat years. No more fat living.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I was looking at my shadow and realized that I didn't walk, I waddled.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    My moobs were getting really out of hand. I was able to make a respectable cleavage.
  • jumpybeans
    jumpybeans Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes you will!!!

I have a similar story. I also packed on the chub with pregnancy - got up to something like 72 kg instead of what was my normal/decent 60kg. After baby was born I went down to 68 and just stayed there.

My clothes don't fit, I had to buy stuff but didn't want to spend money on big new clothes because kept thinking it was only temporary and so ended up getting cheap stuff that makes you look even frumpier and more horrid.

Photos were also a big killer - horrid to see big beefy me next to normal sized people.

And lack of fitness also a factor. Before baby I did capoeira and was fit. Post baby was just a beached whale.

Now am slowly getting to where I want to be. My top part is looking much better but still have the paunch hanging over my pants!!!

I have been doing the exact same thing - buying cheap, ill-fitting clothes to hide the weight I've gained, thinking this will only be temporary...
  • tdv1319
    tdv1319 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The final straw: I realized I couldn't hardly breath while I ran and always had a shortness of breath. When I saw a picture of the man I used to be and compaired it to the now me, I buckled down. Lost 22 Lbs in 3 months, and couldn't be happier. Still focused and wont miss a beat!
  • jumpybeans
    jumpybeans Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of things that made me realize enough was enough.

I'm 36 years old and was in shape most of my life. Climbing one flight of stairs wears me out. A day at work wears me out. I'm constantly dealing with boredom, brain fog, lack of motivation, irritability, poor sleep, stress, etc. I used to stop by my local pub every now and then for a quick pint, just for fun. I found I was doing it more often and not even enjoying it any more. I just did it because I didn't want to be anywhere else or do anything else. I overate at lunch because I got stressed. Everything started getting tight and snug, and I am constantly adjusting my waist band to be more comfortable.

I just feel myself slowly digressing. More weight, poor skin and hair, wrinkles, lack of energy, higher risk of disease.

I also have blood pressure readings that are a bit on the higher side (I have for awhile now) and have done nothing about it.

• JacquiMayCrook
    JacquiMayCrook Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    tdv1319 wrote: »
    The final straw: I realized I couldn't hardly breath while I ran and always had a shortness of breath. When I saw a picture of the man I used to be and compaired it to the now me, I buckled down. Lost 22 Lbs in 3 months, and couldn't be happier. Still focused and wont miss a beat!

Wow. Inspirational! I've been anywhere between a size 6 and a size 24 since I was 20. Now currenty a UK size 14, but as I am so short, look so much worse!