Foods to suppress hunger

Options
What are some good low carb foods I can snack on?

Replies

• pixelatedsun
    pixelatedsun Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You want protein. There are soooooo many ways to get protein, though, that options are just about limitless. You haven't named calories, but try for stuff like nuts (be careful with portions), pepperoni, beef jerky, Quest bars.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    higher fat items such as olives and avocado really help me with hunger
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    my favorite snack is cheese and almonds.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What foods do you like?

^^Eat those...but in a portion that stays within your calorie budget.
  • hiachoag
    hiachoag Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. My problem is with food cravings at night. Especially bad when I have reached my calorie/carb/sodium budget in the evening. Very tempting to cheat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For me, carbs are key to staying full.

Nothing keeps me satiated like fiber.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn. They're carbs, but mostly air and fiber.

Celery.
  • JCWANNABE
    JCWANNABE Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Remember that fat is your friend when it comes to feeling full. Nuts are nice for snacking, but the carbs add up quick, and can add up too high before you are full. Macadamia nuts are awesome. Lots of fat and few carbs. 1.5 net carbs per ounce. They are expensive though. Low carb veggies dipped in homemade ranch can give you an nice "fix" if you are having carb cravings. Cream cheese is high in fat and low in carbs. Even my kids and husband love cream cheese roll ups. Just make little burritos with lunch meat (watch in ingredients on all packaged foods of course) and fill them up with cream cheese. Also good with salami or pepperoni I like to put some raw onion slices in with them. Please stay away from popcorn like it's the plague! It may fit into calorie counting, but will really damage your weight loss efforts on a low carb ketogenic diet. Remember not go get too caught up in just being low carb and focusing on protein. It is important to have your macro-nutrients in the right percentages. Fat at 70-75%, protein at 20-25%, and carbs at 5%. You will be amazed just how full you are when you eat a high % of fat. I feel very full and satisfied eating high fat and I don't try to count calories. But I use MFP to track my food and it automatically shows my calories. I end up averaging out around 1200-1300 calories a day. Some days I can't eat more than 800 or 900 calories. I try to aim for 1600. Oops! Sorry I went on a rant ; )
  • JCWANNABE
    JCWANNABE Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    hiachoag wrote: »
    Thanks for your suggestions. My problem is with food cravings at night. Especially bad when I have reached my calorie/carb/sodium budget in the evening. Very tempting to cheat.

I had that problem too. I tried to make sure that my dinner was really filling and high fat and it worked like a charm. No more late night munchies! I don't worry about sodium at all (I just use all natural sea salt to my taste and stay away from most prepackaged foods).

If you are still hungry shortly after dinner try a coconut oil based fat bomb.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I take 6000 mg of Spectrum's Fish Oil tablets every day. I take 2 pills with meals, and this helps A LOT.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Carbs make me sleepy so I focus on higher protein and fat ratios during the day and save some carbs for a pre-bedtime snack. I like oatmeal, which fills me up but doesn't make me want more carbs.

c4c6e721d0f74ea43bd8a49b4914af14.png

• andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    For me it is high fiber foods like fruit.
  • Christillia54
    Christillia54 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to add ground flaxseed to everything I eat.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

A night time snack that keeps me full is cheese wrapped in deli meat. I also like vegetables dipped in hot sauce or salsa.
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Meats do it for me. When I'm very hungry and don't want to eat too many calories, I'll go straight to chicken or pork tenderloin.

I mean, 3oz of cooked marinated bourbon pork tenderloin is only 100 calories. 6oz of that personally fills me up good enough and is only 200 calories. Same with chicken which hovers around the same range.