Walking goals for a beginner?

Options
2»

Replies

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    It definitely can build stamina. Start with a slow walk, target around 5,000 steps then the week after do 6,000 and build up like that. Then increase the speed in which you walk.

I'm walking about 3.5 - 4 mph on a 5 miles walk now and considering whether to use the opportunity to start running as I'm feeling I have built up enough strength to start building it into my walk.

My days usually include another 3-5 miles of walking. I walk on average 8 miles a day and a moderate to fast pace from nothing so it can be done. Just do what you're comfortable with.

I do 30 - 45 minutes of yoga a day alongside this.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your current fitness level. I would start out with a brisk walk as far as you can and see how many steps that gave you. Repeat a couple of times a week, then increase the time and/or step count.

I was very unfit so I started with 2000 steps (just shy of a mile). I built up to where I now do a daily average of 15,000 steps in total. My fitness walks typically are 3-5 miles each. I typically do a long one in the morning and a shorter one later in the day. I break it up into two because of an issue with arthritis in the foot.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    phurst00 wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    It's walking. Let's not overthink this. Go for a walk in then go for a longer walk.

I wouldn't count on getting too much of a stamina increase tho

Way to motivate...

It's the truth. Unless the OP is very out of shape or the walk is very brisk (14 min a mile pace or better) it won't provide much in the way of a stamina increase.

Sorry, but I beg to differ.

I went from walking at 1.5-2 mph to 2.5mph to 3mph. From 3mph, doing 8-12 miles a day, I was able to do 4.5 miles running an interval of :20 on/:60 off. And I wasn't exhausted after. I'm now at :25/:55, and today will be :25/:50.

When I started walking, I was so out of shape that hitting 5,000 steps at an ambling pace made me sleep all the next day.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    It's walking. Let's not overthink this. Go for a walk in then go for a longer walk.

Way to motivate...

It's the truth. Unless the OP is very out of shape or the walk is very brisk (14 min a mile pace or better) it won't provide much in the way of a stamina increase.

I went from walking at 1.5-2 mph to 2.5mph to 3mph. From 3mph, doing 8-12 miles a day, I was able to do 4.5 miles running an interval of :20 on/:60 off. And I wasn't exhausted after. I'm now at :25/:55, and today will be :25/:50.

When I started walking, I was so out of shape that hitting 5,000 steps at an ambling pace made me sleep all the next day.

I said unless the individual was very out of shape, which would be the case if someone slept all day after walking 5000 steps, slow walking won't do much to improve stamina.

Congrats on your progress.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Way to motivate...

I said unless the individual was very out of shape, which would be the case if someone slept all day after walking 5000 steps, slow walking won't do much to improve stamina.

Wouldn't the same parameters apply to any activity? Someone could run 5 miles then go back home and sleep the rest of the day and they wouldn't accomplish much.

Or how about lifting...lift for 30 minutes the sleep all day?

Why don't we add eating 5000 calories after walking...running...lifting...biking...etc...etc...how fit would you be? How much stamina would you build?

The OP said nothing about walking then going back home and sleeping all day. Nor did anyone else mention that. Not sure where you got that idea.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Way to motivate...

Way to motivate...

I went back and reread MBB's post. She did say that she slept all day afterwards. However...

She started out a very slow pace but has improved until she is now doing intervals.

What we don't know is if MBB had any medical conditions that caused her to be so tired. The OP however didn't mention any medical conditions.

From my own experience...when I started walking I had to sit down and rest every few minutes. I could hardly walk around a block. I kept at...yes building my stamina...until I was able to walk a 4.0 mile...walk several miles during my outings...walk up hills...go hiking...I have even tried running...my knees won't cooperate.

• tiffanyslimdown
    tiffanyslimdown Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Agree with not overthinking. Just go for a walk and enjoy it. As you keep walking, you'll be able to walk further and further.

Don't make it harder than it needs to be, you know? Just do what you can and don't worry about the numbers. They're going to be whatever they're going to be. All you can do is your best, so don't worry about whether your best meets some number goal or not.

Can't do better than your best. :)

This was me....as I walked and walked and didn't think about how many steps I was making or counting my laps or concentrating on if my legs were hurting I WALKED MORE & MORE! Just listened to my music and walked without over thinking.
    Good luck. I'm a beginner with 50lbs to lose by November and 50more to lose by June'16.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    grrrlface wrote: »
    It definitely can build stamina. Start with a slow walk, target around 5,000 steps then the week after do 6,000 and build up like that. Then increase the speed in which you walk.

I'm walking about 3.5 - 4 mph on a 5 miles walk now and considering whether to use the opportunity to start running as I'm feeling I have built up enough strength to start building it into my walk.

@grrrlface, I agree with you. After I got my fitbit and started walking regularly, I definitely built up my stamina. In, fact, after 2 months of power walking, I was able to RUN a full 5K race withOUT stopping. I was not fast by any means (38 minute finish time as I recall), but I did it with NO prior running training, just the power walking. That day was the start of my running. Now, not even 2 months later, I've got three 5K's and one 10K under my belt. All because walking built up my stamina.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @phurst00 Listen to folks like @7lenny7 and @grrrlface. You can build your stamina up big time with walking if you progressively challenge yourself. Your idea to break up your sedentary day is excellent.

As far as "how long"... why pick a number? Or if you are going to pick a number, how about targeting 1 hour minimum moving time each day, however you want to break it up.

If you can't walk for an hour in two 30 minute walks or three 20 minute walks, adjust accordingly and then slowly build until you can. If it seems too easy, pick up your pace, add some hills into your path, or make the walks longer.

If / when that also seems too easy you might find you enjoy doing introducing some running into the mix too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Walking can increase stamina......regular daily steps not so much. I'm going to "overthink" this and say these are 2 different things.

Is your goal added activity (ie: 10,000 steps)....or is your goal added exercise (XX miles per week)?

For walking to count as exercise (IMO) you will need to walk briskly, swing your arms and challenge yourself (power walking). If you are just adding steps, you can increase your activity level in MFP to something above sedentary.

I don't have a daily step goal. Instead I wear a FitBit and have an exercise goal. For my exercise goal: I started very small and added more time each week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I work from home with a lot of sitting and want to start walking as a way to build my stamina back up so that I can start doing workout classes again. My plan is to take a quick walk every 1-2 hours and drink a glass of water after each one. My question is, what step goal should I set for the day? I'd rather do a step goal than a time (ie must walk 15 minutes each time etc). Once I have a step goal I want to add on each day (I have a pedometer).

I just have no idea what number to start with - any tips or ideas would be awesome!

Check out the The 30-Day Walking Challenge. She suggests you start at 2,000 steps if you are an "off-the-couch" walker and 5,000 steps otherwise.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-30-day-walking-challenge/

What is it about fitness walking that makes it more “successful” than other exercise? Part of it is the simplicity. By putting one foot in front of the other, you can not only walk off weight, but also dramatically reduce your risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, depression, osteoporosis, diabetes, high cholesterol, and help clear artery-clogging plaque … Are you walking yet? You don’t need trendy classes, expensive gyms and crazy fitness gadgets. What you need is a simple routine that you can build on, week by week, to make you stronger and fitter at a pace that you can manage.

I’ve got the plan for you—no matter what fitness level you are at right now, you can zap calories, up your energy, and start to view fitness walking as a joyful habit! Join me on a 30-day walk challenge to reach 10,000 steps by the end of the month. Day by day during the first week, you’ll start to feel stronger. Over the next couple of weeks, the walks will begin to seem easier. By the end of a month, you’ll not only notice shifts in the way your body feels, but also a difference in your mindset.

Along with the triumph of meeting the challenge, you’ll have established a daily habit of fitness, which is no doubt the most important result. And exercise will become something that you don’t want to go without. It’s life-changing!

Leslie_Training-Plans_beginner.png
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I'll probably do the 30 day challenge. Taking quick walks throughout the day has already helped break up the monotony of work and ease my occasional back aches. Hopefully I can get back to my step classes soon!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I do 1200 steps blocks all throughout the day . 1200 steps = 10 laps around my house.
    My daily step goal is 20,000.
  • ah5564
    ah5564 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - I think I'll start the 30 day challenge; I bought a pedometer, just need to get it set up.

I hope your walking will help you to meet your fitness goals.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I started walking in March, which is when I got my fitbit. I was averaging 2,000ish steps a day. Pretty terribly sedentary :flushed:
  • Dianawalking
    Dianawalking Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have made it my goal to walk outside for 1 hour and 45 minutes each day. I set the "chrono" button on my wonderful and easy to use Timex watch and it keeps track of the minutes that I walk each day. I am thrilled with how well this is working for me. I have lost 4 pounds so far and I am not even counting calories. Thank you Jesus !
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    6,000-10,000 steps seems reasonable. If you are going for stamina, I suggest a timed walk. Here's why: You can track your progress easily, you will push yourself harder, and you can plan your day and workout easier. You will be able to go farther each day in the same time limit. Feel free to add me!