mindset

Options
cuckoo_jenibeth
cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
edited July 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I am not sure if this makes sense, but after focusing on losing for so long, holding at one steady weight almost feels like failing!
Don't get me wrong, I intellectually know that maintaining is a very, very difficult thing; it is just about developing a new mindset and perspective.
Any tips from those much more experienced and knowledgeable would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• lisag0109
    lisag0109 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It can be a tough transition for sure!
    I find it easier if I am always setting a new goal. Now my goals are fitness related vs. weight loss goals.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I love that idea! I did just set a July challenge with my swim mates. I will focus on those efforts! Thank you!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My goal wasn't to lose, but to stay at that new lower weight forever. So every day I step on the scale and I'm still there, I do the happy dance. Three years and counting.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yeah, focus on improving performance while maintaining weight. Also know that maintaining a healthy weight is the responsible thing to do. You're awesome! Well done
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My goal now is to eat well every day, be the same weight today as I was one month ago, and accept fluctuations.
  • moosekelly
    moosekelly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    jenibethbu wrote: »
    I love that idea! I did just set a July challenge with my swim mates. I will focus on those efforts! Thank you!

• RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Makes perfect sense actually.

My goal was never to lose X weight in X time. It was always about incremental changes to make this a 'rest of my life' thing.

Weight was certainly one of the marker I used as a sign of success & it definitely took some getting use to no longer seeing the scale in the same progressive fashion.

Similar to @lisag0109 I refocused my energies towards other goals. ie. Do a single unassisted pull up or work to define my shoulders etc. This type of goals has helped reshape my mind to focus more on my nutrition and exercise in regards to how it will help me achieve better looking arms for example rather than X weight on the scale.

Hope that makes sense.

Best of luck to you!