Annoyance: Deceptive Serving Sizes

Options
So this is something I noticed a while ago, but today at the store I noticed it again and it really ticks me off. The deceptive serving sizes on some foods is awful. Good example is poptarts, the serving size is ONE poptart...not one packet of poptarts which comes with 2 tarts in it...ONE poptart. Nobody I know opens a poptart foil package and eats only one, as the package is not resealable and they go stale quickly. They also list the calories on the front so they LOOK healthy if you don't see the super fine print over the nutrition info saying "Per one poptart". Same thing with Ramen, one package of ramen is supposedly 2 servings. Yea, right. Even the butterfinger king size candy bar is 3 servings, even though the bar is broken up into 2 smaller pieces which leads you to assume it is 2 servings...not 3.

This kinda "gotcha" labeling irritates me, and I feel like there should be some FDA rule that if your packaging is clearly broken up in a way that appears as a single serving you cannot list the serving size as less than that. While most of these foods listed are unhealthy to begin with, and ones I no longer eat, it seems to me that part of the obesity issue might be this kind of labeling. People are likely grossly underestimating the calories in what they eat due to companies purposely being deceitful.

Replies

• Will108
    Will108 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are some FDA regulations but they just aren't enough. Not too long ago a 20z soda was labeled as 2.5 servings instead of the 1 serving it is labeled today
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Completely agree.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Welcome to food industry marketing 101. Their sole goal is to get you to eat more of their food. They WANT to confuse you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I bought a non-resealable drink a little while back which was 1.3 servings. ???
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Ha!

Also, in before personal responsibility / what's wrong with wanting to make money crew
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes, they lie big and tell the truth in very small print. Yes, it's annoying. I'm not even sure why they do it. Lying about the calories will not entice anyone who actually cares about them. People who care will read the label.

Most people who are eating King Sized candy bars do not really care about how many calories they're taking in. They could put "5000 Calories!" on the front of the package and people would still buy them and eat them.

That heart attack restaurant ADVERTISES that the things are terrible for you. They have had two mascot-spokesmen who ate lots of their food and then died. People lined up to get in.

McDonald's has the calories on the menu. I haven't heard one person say, "Wow! I sure was surprised about those calories! I had no idea that food was so fattening! I'm not going to eat that now!" People are like, "Can I have a Big Mac...and a large fry and..." They don't care.

They're so ridiculous, wasting time and money lying about the calories. All they do is get people who care to not trust them. They should just be honest.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Yes, they lie big and tell the truth in very small print. Yes, it's annoying. I'm not even sure why they do it. Lying about the calories will not entice anyone who actually cares about them. People who care will read the label.

Most people who are eating King Sized candy bars do not really care about how many calories they're taking in. They could put "5000 Calories!" on the front of the package and people would still buy them and eat them.

That heart Attack restaurant ADVERTISES that the things are terrible for you. They have had two mascot-spokesmen who died. People lined up to get in.

McDonald's has the calories on the menu. I haven't heard one person say, "Wow! I sure was surprised about those calories! I'm not going to eat that now!"

They're so ridiculous, wasting time and money lying about the calories. All they do is get people who care to not trust them. They should just be honest.

Well, reasonably accurate calorie counts help people who are trying to watch them .

And people definitely are surprised by amounts once they start
  • Kalikel
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

That heart Attack restaurant ADVERTISES that the things are terrible for you. They have had two mascot-spokesmen who died. People lined up to get in.

McDonald's has the calories on the menu. I haven't heard one person say, "Wow! I sure was surprised about those calories! I'm not going to eat that now!"

Well, reasonably accurate calorie counts help people who are trying to watch them .

Yes, it would be nice if they were just honest and up-front about it. Agreed. :)
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Some people, especially those for whom English is a second language, don't understand food labels or how to read them. The food industry really preys on them.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Yup, we're in agreement, @Kalikel :)
    whmscll wrote: »
    Some people, especially those for whom English is a second language, don't understand food labels or how to read them. The food industry really preys on them.

True. And even native speakers have better and worse literacy. Food should be labelled in the plainest (and most honest) language possible.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Agree, it's obnoxious. A lot of it is done so that the front of the box can claim "fat-free" or "only 2g of sugar!" or some such, because they manipulated the serving size to be able to make virtually bs claims about their product.

On the flip side, some companies have serving sizes that make life more complicated than need be. Like why does a box of Oreos think I'm interested in the nutrition of 2 Oreos instead of just one? Why does a bag of Murray's Gingersnaps think I want to know the nutrition of 5 gingersnaps instead of just one? Why does a box of Hostess tell me the nutrition of 2 Twinkies (individually wrapped, mind) instead of just one? But yet Hostess will tell me the nutrition of just one Ding-Dong so there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it all! :p
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,980 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Serving sizes have been a pet peeve of mine for years. I think they are getting a bit better than they were, but still not great.

I have had to correct food information in the food database here on a few occasions because someone entered a package of something as 1 serving when it is actually 2.

Most recently for me ... I'm standing in the yogurt section checking out calories on the yogurts. All are the same size or pretty close to it ... what I would consider 1 serving. But my favourite yogurt is, for some unknown reason, 2 servings and therefore the calorie content doubles making it the highest calorie yogurt on the shelf.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Agree, it's obnoxious. A lot of it is done so that the front of the box can claim "fat-free" or "only 2g of sugar!" or some such, because they manipulated the serving size to be able to make virtually bs claims about their product.

On the flip side, some companies have serving sizes that make life more complicated than need be. Like why does a box of Oreos think I'm interested in the nutrition of 2 Oreos instead of just one? Why does a bag of Murray's Gingersnaps think I want to know the nutrition of 5 gingersnaps instead of just one? Why does a box of Hostess tell me the nutrition of 2 Twinkies (individually wrapped, mind) instead of just one? But yet Hostess will tell me the nutrition of just one Ding-Dong so there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it all! :p
    They used to list one and people got in a huge uproar for a while about how they listed serving sizes that were smaller than anyone actually ate. So, they passed laws about how the serving sizes had to be bigger.

It was a big thing for a while. I don't remember when that was. Could've been 20 years now. I just don't know.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was mildly annoyed when I bought a box of muesli over the weekend - since I don't control my portions that well when poring from a box I decided to preportion everything. The box was supposed to give 11 x 50g servings - the box total was 580g so actually either every serve is 58g or there is one small left over 30g serve
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Is it deceptive if it's written? And Ew to poptarts and ramen. Meat and fresh veggies don't have that problem!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

^^^I just HAD to look up about the comment about the Heart Attack Restaurant......

Honestly, I thought it was a joke....OMG :o .....are there any still opened after all the deaths etc????

....and couldn't agree more about difficult to understand the context of nutritional and calorific content in packaged foods and plus the writing is DAMN small too boot. I am having to take reading glasses with me now and even then it is a struggle.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I find this with chocolate milk. A carton of milk you generally wouldn't share, like 600ml like a coke but it actually contains 2 servings.

Not sure if it's the same else where but here the nutritional information is based on one serving and 100g. Maybe a 3rd column is needed for the total product.

Tub of icecream 150 cal per serve, 400 per 100g and 5000 for the entire tub.

• tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ha, derail was here, sorry
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

And that's what annoys me the most! You might log two servings of something and there is no fat in your macros, even though you've consumed at least one gram.

I watched a show about the Heart Attack Restaurant once. The guy's whole point is to wake people up about the way we eat (or so he says). He seems to be making money hand over fist doing it and I'm not sure how awake we are.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I find this with chocolate milk. A carton of milk you generally wouldn't share, like 600ml like a coke but it actually contains 2 servings.

Not sure if it's the same else where but here the nutritional information is based on one serving and 100g. Maybe a 3rd column is needed for the total product.

Tub of icecream 150 cal per serve, 400 per 100g and 5000 for the entire tub.

I'd forgotten the choc milk issue - last time I bought what is obviously intended for 1 person the label said 2.4 serves