Eat more Calories to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    sorka wrote: »
    Have had a look at myfitnesspal and it says 1200 calories a day as a sedentary person (another forum said to set to sedentary and then the true calories burned from steps each day is added through the vivosmart).

Which I thought this would work but went to a nutritionist and they said that was way to low for my muscle percentage and a minimum of 1800 is what I need to eat before any walking or anything is taken into account. I have checked and the exercise doesn't double up with calories. I have configured the viviosmart and most days (when not working at my desk) I hit 1200 steps.

oh - and I didn't weigh out 8.33g - it was a third of 25g

No matter what your nutritionist said, you are now eating too much, otherwise you would be losing weight.

If you want to lose weight, you must eat less food.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    sorka wrote: »
    Have had a look at myfitnesspal and it says 1200 calories a day as a sedentary person (another forum said to set to sedentary and then the true calories burned from steps each day is added through the vivosmart).

Which I thought this would work but went to a nutritionist and they said that was way to low for my muscle percentage and a minimum of 1800 is what I need to eat before any walking or anything is taken into account. I have checked and the exercise doesn't double up with calories. I have configured the viviosmart and most days (when not working at my desk) I hit 1200 steps.

oh - and I didn't weigh out 8.33g - it was a third of 25g

If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit.

And 1800 to lose BEFORE eating back exercise sounds crazy to me. I maintain at 1650 + exercise calories, and I'm 5'7.
  • salstg
    salstg Posts: 504 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm not as savvy as these other folks but if you are concerned with losing cm then you should probably be more concerned with that than weight. It could be possible that you are gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time especially with the weight training and HIIT. Monitoring your cm's would be a good indicator if what you believe is correct or not. You saw a nutritionist so I assume they probably know what they are talking about but the myfitnesspal site works for me as it probably did for everyone that posted already.

I personally don;t eat back all the calories from exercise. I have it set at 2lbs per week and sedentary. I don't weigh my food (I just estimate... i know... I'm lazy) but I've lost about 4 lbs a week. Just try something different and see what happens. My calories are at 1460.... just for reference.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Here a link with an excellent explanation why you are not losing.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yep like the others have said it looks like your exercise cals are pretty off. For comparison, I'm your height and around 61kg, and I log around 200 calories per 10000 steps (I estimate on the conservative side to account for error) and I often only log steps if I go over 3000 anyway as I figure even a sedentary life would include some walking to and fro. I do stationary bike too, and usually log around 350-400 cals per hour of biking (heart rate around 140 bmp).
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    salstg wrote: »
    I'm not as savvy as these other folks but if you are concerned with losing cm then you should probably be more concerned with that than weight. It could be possible that you are gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time especially with the weight training and HIIT. Monitoring your cm's would be a good indicator if what you believe is correct or not. You saw a nutritionist so I assume they probably know what they are talking about but the myfitnesspal site works for me as it probably did for everyone that posted already.

I personally don;t eat back all the calories from exercise. I have it set at 2lbs per week and sedentary. I don't weigh my food (I just estimate... i know... I'm lazy) but I've lost about 4 lbs a week. Just try something different and see what happens. My calories are at 1460.... just for reference.

You're losing 4 lbs a week stv1460? How much weight are you trying to lose?

There are quack nutrtionists.

You don't gain muscle on a deficit, except for newbie gains. Building muscle is very difficult and intentional.
  • sorka
    sorka Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    salstg wrote: »

You don't gain muscle on a deficit, except for newbie gains. Building muscle is very difficult and intentional.

Ok - so I'm all good with reducing my calories to around 1200, but obviously doing strength training also I do want to gain muscle. So where does that leave me? Or do I focus on getting my weight down to the 60kg I want and then add muscle from there?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For the people questioning op's step calorie burn. We are similar in weight, except I'm 7cm (2 3/4 inches) taller.

Thus far today I've earned 504 calories for 12,000 steps. Trusting my fitbit has so far worked for me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I just want to know how someone weighs out 8.33 grams of anything, on a kitchen scale.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I just want to know how someone weighs out 8.33 grams of anything, on a kitchen scale.

they said it was 1/3 of a 25g portion further up he thread.

My scale measures 500g x 0.01g so I could do it if necessary.
  • chewmonster
    chewmonster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mychum has just enlisted help of Pt and nutritionist to help her with last stone to lose. Working out 4/5 tines a week they have given her a plan of about 1750 calories a day. Lots protein and veg, eating her carb mod meal after her workout. Lots healthy fats too. Lost 0.5% body fat in 10 days.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - your problem is that you are eating too much. As others said make sure that you eat back only half of exercise calories and net the number that MFP gave you. So if MFP says to eat 1400 and you burn 500 then you eat 1650 - 250 burned = 1400 …

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    all of the calorie calculators and food logging and exercise calculators are estimates. If your actual results are not matching your expected results, then your estimates are off plain and simple. Nothing against you personally, it just happens.

So, fix it by creating a larger deficit. If you are trying to lose 1 lb/wk and you are losing 0 lb/wk, you need to create another 500 calories a day for your actuals to match your estimates. This can be done by eating less, or not counting all the exercise, or whatever, but the net result needs to be another 500 calories (in my example) reduction per day.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

You don't.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

• SLLRunner
    Options
    rushfive wrote: »

Wow, I could be wrong then. What scale do you use?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    rushfive wrote: »

Wow, I could be wrong then. What scale do you use?

I'd like to know, too.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Wow. I didn't think scales with that kind of accuracy existed, except they probably have them in the meat department at the supermarket.