1 kilo a week

Options
I'm around 65-66 kilo. I eat heaps so when I do eat a bit healthy I lose weight quite quick. Is this healthy? Cos I want to get back on track and below 60 kilo in 2 months

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you want to lose 6kgs, then 1kg a week is way too aggressive! With that little to lose you want to aim for about 0.2kgs a week (0.5lbs/week). When you first start eating in a deficit you'll probably lose a few pounds of water weight quite quickly, but then it'll steady out after the first week or two.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Depends on your height, but not very likely.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    6kg in two months, that would be roughly 5800kcal less per week, or 833kcal less per day. With the small amount you have to lose, and (not knowing how tall you are) supposed low amount of maintenance calories Iwould say this is not possible. If you tried you'd restrict yourself to much and start to binge at a certain time, and more importantly your body would munch on your muscles. Instead of looking a bit slimmer you'd look wobbly. Eat at a small deficite and give it time. The weight didn't come out of nowhere in two months, it won't go away that quickly either.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? 65 kilos is my goal weight!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I disagree with @DemoraFairy. It doesn't matter how much you are hoping to lose. However, a more realistic goal is 1% of your current weight, so you shouldn't try to lose more than 0.6 kg per week.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I disagree with @DemoraFairy. It doesn't matter how much you are hoping to lose. However, a more realistic goal is 1% of your current weight, so you shouldn't try to lose more than 0.6 kg per week.

Well, I figured if she's trying to lose 6kg then she's probably either already a healthy weight or close to a healthy weight (I assumed someone wouldn't put their goal weight at a weight that's still overweight), and generally go by 0.5-1lb a week being healthy at that point... not 2lbs/week. Even with your recommendation of 0.6kg a week, 1kg is still too aggressive.
  • EvaMGlen
    EvaMGlen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm about 168cm tall. Im overall aiming to get down to 54 kilo but just want to get to 60 by September.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    In two months? The goal would be healthier if it's closer to 4 kilos in two months.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Nope, won't happen. I am about the same height as you, and lost a around 1.5kg per month in that weight range.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I lost 1 kg/week for my first 15 weeks here. :)

I am about your height, and pretty close to your weight.
  • EvaMGlen
    Options
    Cheers for the feedback! When I eat well, 1200cal a day, I seem to lose 0.3kilo Every 2 days. Doesn't feel aggressive , it just goes pretty quick! Yiara, I would have to overeat to lose that
  • EvaMGlen
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Awesome, its do-able just hoping its healthy cos most people on here lose a lot less :neutral:
  • EvaMGlen
    Options
    If you want to lose 6kgs, then 1kg a week is way too aggressive! With that little to lose you want to aim for about 0.2kgs a week (0.5lbs/week). When you first start eating in a deficit you'll probably lose a few pounds of water weight quite quickly, but then it'll steady out after the first week or two.

Do you not find that little progress makes u lose motivation? I usually lose that every few days if I'm sticking to calorie goal!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When I was down to my last 5 kgs I was lucky to lose a 1kg a month :confounded: But I got there in the end!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options

.5-1%. If you're nearing the bottom of healthy weight or don't have a lot of fat to begin with, you can't lose 1% of fat a week. It starts coming from muscle.

Basically, the most fat you can reasonably burn is 27 calories per lb of fat that you're carrying per day.

• Rnej
    Rnej Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1 kg a week is too much. not only do you lose more muscle than with a less agressive approach, the possibility of stalling and then binge-eating also arises.. .5 kg a week is a nice goal. though you'll lose some water when starting a diet, so 6 kg in 2 months is not overly agressive, just don't go any faster than that :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nope. Not for you. Where you are, you CAN still lose 1% of your body mass. You could lose like .8 kg per week safely as long as you're above 62 kg. Then you need to pull it back to about .6 per week until you reach 57 kilos. Then .4 per week to 55 kilos. I STRONGLY suggest that you stop trying to lose weight specifically at 55 kilos and start to "recomp"--that is, trade lean muscle for fat. If you want to look sleek and toned, you'll likely be looking pretty flabby at 55 kilos and will think you need to go lower to lose the flab. You won't. You just need to do enough weight/resistance exercises to get enough muscle definition to take over from the remaining fat. You may or may not lose that last kilo as you do that--either way, it's more about how you look than any kind of scale measurement then!
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Found my twin! :blush: I'm also 168cm tall and 64-65kg.
    My goal weight is around 60kg, but I'm not in a hurry to get there. My daily intake (1900cals/day) is 300cal below my TDEE and seems to work fine (around 0.3kg per week). Last time I tried to lose weight I also lost a lot of muscle eating 1500cals/day.. Anyway, different things work for different people. Your body, your choice!
    Good luck :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    EvaMGlen wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

Awesome, its do-able just hoping its healthy cos most people on here lose a lot less :neutral:

I think I would have been in danger of losing motivation had I lost any slower than that. :)

Interestingly, I had MFP set at losing 0.5 kg/week, so I was prepared to lose that slowly ... but then the weight just fell off at twice that rate.

I netted 1250 cal/day. So in other words, if I didn't exercise, I ate 1250 cal. But if I walked for an hour, and burned 200 cal, I might eat as much as 1450 cal that day, although I often ate less than that. And if I cycled for an hour, and burned 400 cal, I might eat as much as 1650 cal, although, again, I often ate less than that. So I was rarely hungry. If I was hungry, I went for a walk, and then I could eat more. :)

And I felt pretty good the whole time ... my energy levels increased as I went along. I was cycling more and walking more and feeling stronger. I started taking on hilly rides (cycling) I'd never dreamed of trying several months ago. :smiley: