Little bit o'sabotage???

Can someone tell me why, on a site where I track calories in my efforts to lose weight, I am, right at this very moment, staring at a McDonald's breakfast banner across the top of this page? An Egg McMuffin and small coffee. Really. Something loaded with enough fat, cholesterol and sodium to last a normal person for the whole day. And I'm quite certain it's not a cookie in the browser of my computer. I never surf to McDonald's.

Well, I will not succumb to temptation! Up yours, McDonald's. I shall drive past you on my way into work. I shall not stop. I shall not travel your drive-through. I shall bite my thumb at thee...okay, maybe just for coffee, but that's it.

Replies

• Kashton2011
    Kashton2011 Posts: 324 Member
    Ha ha! Totally agree!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    Rerun201 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why, on a site where I track calories in my efforts to lose weight, I am, right at this very moment, staring at a McDonald's breakfast banner across the top of this page? An Egg McMuffin and small coffee. Really. Something loaded with enough fat, cholesterol and sodium to last a normal person for the whole day. And I'm quite certain it's not a cookie in the browser of my computer. I never surf to McDonald's.

Well, I will not succumb to temptation! Up yours, McDonald's. I shall drive past you on my way into work. I shall not stop. I shall not travel your drive-through. I shall bite my thumb at thee...okay, maybe just for coffee, but that's it.
    In bold, all things that are not bad for you ;).

I love the egg McMuffin. And it's only like 300 calories which is pretty low and delicious.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Actually a McDonald's Egg McMuffin is one of the healthier fast food options. But the advertising is due to your past searches.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    *shrugs* Your ad selection is determined by your location and browsing history. It certainly peaked your interest, so... :P
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I'm sorry but

300 Calories
    17g Protein
    13g Fat
    31g Carbs
    750mg Sodium

is not bad for breakfast in terms of weight loss .. if you like that kind of thing
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited July 2015
    Apparently it's 20% of a "normal" person's fat allowance for the day.

Your perception seems pretty skewed.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    152622_o.gif
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Rerun201 wrote: »

It's to turn you off breakfast.

If I saw that as my banner, I'd feel sick ... as I do whenever I see any mention of McDonald's breakfasts ... and wouldn't want anything to eat for several hours. :)

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    *shrugs* Your ad selection is determined by your location and browsing history. It certainly peaked your interest, so... :P

Exactly... MFP uses Google Ads, which tailors the ads displayed for you. For example I'm getting ads for solicitors because I've been Googling them, nothing to do with dieting or anything.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    Egg mcmuffin no margarine add extra round egg add tomato and add lots of red onions please and a medium ice coffee no liquid sugar sub milk.

1x English muffin (about 130)
    1x large egg (72)
    1x large egg (72)
    1x Canadian bacon slice (20)
    1x mcdonald's cheese like slice (50)
    1x tomato slice (5)
    2-3 red onion slivers (5)
    Drip coffee (4)
    0.25 cup 2% milk (31)

All for about 400 Cal, 35g carb, 16g fat, 29g protein.

About half your daily sodium recommendation; which is far from bad for eating out.

(Yes, red onions make your breath stink, and they make you burp and feel more full.... hmm, I wonder why I am eating more onions these days....)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    When I could still eat them, McMuffins were something I actually loved from McDonalds. Not a bad breakfast choice.

This has inspired me. I think I saw gluten free English muffins at Trader Joe's and now I have to try them just to make a brekkie sandwich.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited July 2015
    When I could still eat them, McMuffins were something I actually loved from McDonalds. Not a bad breakfast choice.

I've never liked the McMuffins but man, I could live on McBiscuits. McGriddles are a travesty.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

I've never liked the McMuffins but man, I could live on McBiscuits. McGriddles are a travesty.

McBiscuits were late to the game. I think they came on the market after I was diagnosed. I'm told I've finally perfected the ultimate biscuit. I have no clue. Hubby and kids approve, and often make egg sandwiches.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    in Canada 290 calories...less calories than I am currently eating for breakfast...

Calories 290
    Protein 16
    fat 11

If I liked those I would eat them.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Many people can fit an Egg McMuffin, or any fast food, into their diet. Don't want it? Don't go to McDonalds. I used to get McGriddles a couple times a year but the last time I did it was terrible.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    I've never had an Egg McMuffin but now I really want to try one to see what the hype is about
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    I've never had an Egg McMuffin but now I really want to try one to see what the hype is about

I had one once because a friend kept raving about them.

It was disgusting. Really nauseating.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    1. There is nothing wrong with McDonalds, as others have pointed out the Egg McMuffin is one of the lowest cal breakfast options at any fast food place (albeit the most tasteless IMO, if I were going to hit a fast food place for breakfast it would be a Croissanwich from BK all the way)
    2. The ads are based on your search history and algorithms that predict what may appeal to your demographic. They even pick up on key words that you use in text such as the forums. One day in the forums we were discussing best burger toppings and I was expressing my vehement dislike for mayo, next day, I couldn't escape the Hellmann's ads. Now that is sabotage...
    3. These sorts of imagery are everywhere, TV, billboards, other websites, you really need to learn to deal with it if this is such a temptation for you that you will be derailed by it.
    4. Adblocker.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

I prefer their breakfast burrito myself...scrambled eggs, peppers, sausage, cheese are wrapped up and warm....