third shift support

Options
Hi all! I currently work third shift (about 3 months so far) at a brewery. The combination of weird hours and excess amounts of beer has caused me to pack on a ton of weight... Do any of you work thirds!? What works for you to remain healthy? Do you exercise in the mornings after work our the evenings before a shift?!
Also.. I'm new to the site, please add me for support!,:)

Replies

• xxhawk68xx
    xxhawk68xx Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I work a 3 shift system so days nights afternoons. I also struggled with bad eating habits an low energy levels, i now started trying only eating 2 times a day when working afternoons and nights due to i was really struggling with hitting my calorie intakes. Dayshift i wil try to eat more like 3-4 meals du to the early start.

I train before afternoons and night shifts and after work on days 3 days a week and its working fo me. Energy levels are a lot higher than before

Feel free to add me
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I work 9pm-5:30am as a supervisor in a Toyota plant. I have successfully lost down to my goal weight while on nights and gained it all back, so trying again. Feel free to add me!
  • Rivers001
    Rivers001 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, I work 3rd shift in ED. Looking for serious, encouraging support. Plan on being consistent with my workouts in the morning after work.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Number 1. There is no such thing as excess amounts of beer. Just kidding! I'm a huge beer nerd...

I work third shift, have for many years. There are some threads on here for third shifters...c'mon over and check 'em out. The one I frequent isn't exactly fitness and nutrition based but those do come up time to time.

I personally do yoga at work and when my tater tot is in school, I ride my bike while she is in class...which is my "late afternoon/early evening" time. Summer time means no bike rides...so sad...bike rides for me aren't really "exercise". I mean, I know it is, but I do it because I enjoy it. So I'm kind of slooooowly losing right now.

My biggest problem is that two days of the week I'm up for either 24 to 30 some hours...when you are awake that long, 3 meals plus a couple snacks doesn't cut it. You kind of HAVE to eat more just to sustain any kind of energy and alertness.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I was getting ready to type up a lengthy post then I saw the OP's posting date, Aug 2013 and they have not logged in forever.
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have been working 3rd shift since November. I had lost approximately 40ish pounds in the few months before switching but after I did I just let me new eating habits slip away and gained most of it back. I've been working on it again since the end of May and am 20lbs down. I would love more 3rd shift friends. Feel free to add me!
  • tiredoftheflab
    tiredoftheflab Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be exactly a year since i stsrted working thirdshift, and ive gained about 20 pounds :(:o:s

• Fivefarthings
    Fivefarthings Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what a 'third shift' (never heard of that before) but I'm a police officer so I work shifts (five week rotation, days, nights, lates, days, nights and then late lates). Over the past couple of years I've put on about 20 pounds which I'm trying to shed. When I first joined shift I was dead skinny- I almost used to 'fast' on night shifts as I usually found I wasn't hungry (boredom and being in a crappy relationship meant I started eating family sized bags of chocolate and sweets on nights, hence the weight gain!). I usually get up off nights at about 3pm, eat 'breakfast', go to the gym then eat dinner and back to work for 9pm. A few people I know go running/yoga straight after a 7am finish but for me I have always just wanted to get straight into bed! All you can do is experiment and try exercising in the morning and evening and see what feels best for you.
  • Fivefarthings
    Fivefarthings Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Also try not to drink so much beer whilst working (though that sound amazing that you get to drink at work?!)