Recording of an apple

Options
Do you weigh it, and record the weight of the whole apple, even though you will have discarded the core? Or weigh the core when you are finished & deduct from total weight of apple?

Replies

• ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Cut it into pieces and weigh them?
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Both options work. I find it less of a hassle to weight,, eat, weigh the remains, and subtract from the total. Other will probably cut ut up and eat the parts they weigh. Up to you.
  • lovetta88
    lovetta88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I cut what im gonna eat and weigh it on a food scale.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I just weigh the apple from the beginning. It won't deduct enough calories to make a difference and since we commonly underestimate calories consumed, I consider it a buffer.
  • Deadcat66
    Deadcat66 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the core. Probably about 5 calories at most.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just weigh and eat the entire apple. Better under than over :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    Cut it into pieces and weigh them?

This is what I do. I prefer eating it this way anyway.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I always cut my apples up, so I weigh the pieces that I'm going to eat.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I eat the apple. Don't overthink it. Log it as an apple. Nobody is overweight from eating too much produce. Spend your energy getting a handle on calorie dense foods by weighing and measuring - those are the foods that add up if we are inaccurate in portion sizes. Example: weigh out a portion of cooked pasta. Most folks eat WAY more than a serving. pay attention to those low volume - calorie dense goods vs. high volume foods (nutrient dense foods with fiber that fill you up with less calories). And! Eat MORE produce
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I just weigh the apple from the beginning. It won't deduct enough calories to make a difference and since we commonly underestimate calories consumed, I consider it a buffer.

smart
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    harlanJEN wrote: »
    I eat the apple. Don't overthink it. Log it as an apple. Nobody is overweight from eating too much produce. Spend your energy getting a handle on calorie dense foods by weighing and measuring - those are the foods that add up if we are inaccurate in portion sizes. Example: weigh out a portion of cooked pasta. Most folks eat WAY more than a serving. pay attention to those low volume - calorie dense goods vs. high volume foods (nutrient dense foods with fiber that fill you up with less calories). And! Eat MORE produce
    This. The few grams from an apple core is the least of my worries ;)

• jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    harlanJEN wrote: »

Amen my sista!
  • meglettuce
    meglettuce Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I found eating the core solves this issue
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I don't bother weighing apples (or bananas). I just pick one from the MFP list and move on.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I weigh it in grams and log it with out worring about the core. The macors are so low it doesnt matter. Its not like peanut butter and cheese or other calorie dense foods. I weigh cheese and avaocado down to every morsel I'll be consuming.

If you aren't weighing your apples and you have a scale...pop one on there and look at the difference between a generic apple rated small med or large and the REAL calorie count of your apple.

My hubby buys huge apples sometimes 270+ g its a lot more calories and carbs than a med or small apple of the same kind.
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    lovetta88 wrote: »
    Do you weigh it, and record the weight of the whole apple, even though you will have discarded the core? Or weigh the core when you are finished & deduct from total weight of apple?

I have an apple corer I use that slices the apple at the same time ($2 @ walmart) I then weigh the slices. If you don't like to do that I would weight your apple then deduct the core later. I WEIGH EVERYTHING.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I won't weigh fruit like apples. I just pick a Large/Medium/Small option for the fruit and use that. I think this is a case of close enough is good enough.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Recording of an apple?
    6a0120a5580826970c017ee46ffea2970d-pi
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh before and then weigh the core. Now I'm lazy and just weigh the apple and subtract 10 g (usually the core for the apples I buy were about 15-25 grams)