Vacation and Food?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• DulceDiva32
    DulceDiva32 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys :) my goal will be to maintain where I am now...because if not my swimsuits won't fit :|
    So, to recap
    Enjoy the food in moderation
    Remain active at all times
    Avoid in between meals munching
  • jaims224
    jaims224 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I actually didn't gain any weight when I went on my cruise because the salad bar was awesome and I walked sooooo much on the ship and off when we stopped. I didn't really splurge except at dinner and on drinks. It was kind of amazing, really.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Every time I see one of these threads. I weep.
  • DulceDiva32
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Why??? :o
  • SusanCornelius2015
    SusanCornelius2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When we go on a cruise the elevators are off limits. We take the stairs no matter how many decks we have to go up or down. On a seven day cruise I may gain about one to two pounds. Have fun on your cruise.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My advice for a cruise. Eat the good food. Don't eat dessert at EVERY meal. The main dining room usually has a healthy option on the menu. My last cruise had some healthy breakfast and maybe lunch choices at the little eating area by the spa. Check that option out. You will be walking A LOT!!! Like seriously A LOT!! Take the stairs rather than the elevator. For your shore excursion try and schedule some active activities - like kayaking, snorkeling, zip lining - anything that gets you out and moving. Have fun, eat delicious food, enjoy yourself.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'll indulge on vacation, but not on the same old crap I can get at home everyday.

When I go to NYC, you better believe I'm eating enough pizza (shout out to Famous Amadeus) to feed a summer camp for a day.

When I'm in SF, Ghirardelli Square and Hollywood Cafe will rejoice.

When I'm in Nebraska, I fast. Seriously, what do they eat there?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    vacation is vacation...no, i don't go completely off the rails, but I enjoy myself...it's not like a weeks vacation in a year is really all that relevant to the other 52 weeks or anything. Vacation is the time when I like to enjoy a little of whatever the local fare is and I don't worry about it.

Try to look at the big picture...your weight management, healthy, fitness, etc are all predicated on what you are doing most of the time...not a handful of occasions, holidays, or vacations.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Why??? :o

Because you are worrying about food when you are lucky enough to go on a vacation.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It's vacation, this is one of those times where it's ok if you go over! ^_^

Make sure you have plenty of exercise in your excursions, and see if they have any kind of gym setup. Chances are you'll be doing a lot of walking around, and if your excursions include sports or tours where you have to walk around a lot, you'll burn off more than you usually do just from that. Plus, add up all the times you walk around the ship (especially if you get lost *ahem*) and you'll end up doing better than you think.

As for food, I didn't have internet so I had to keep a running log in my notepad app and add when I got back home. The cruises I've been on have had smaller portions for food servings, making it easier not to eat too much. I made sure I didn't pig out and mostly drank flavored water and unsweet tea, but I didn't do a lot of worrying about calories. So, that week I didn't lose anything, but I didn't gain weight, so I consider it a job well done!
  • c613477
    c613477 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When we go on a cruise the elevators are off limits. We take the stairs no matter how many decks we have to go up or down. On a seven day cruise I may gain about one to two pounds. Have fun on your cruise.

This! I use only stairs. Workout every other day at least in the gym and walk everywhere. Also I only splurge at dinner and don't fill up on junk during the day ( like burgers or fries). My rule is one dessert a day and 2 drinks max. I usually eat a light breakfast and salad type lunch and indulge at dinner. Typically I stay even or even lose a couple lbs in a week-long cruise!!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation on August 1 for 7 days and that vacation is going to be a complete and total vacation. Vacation for my body and my mind. No worries, no stress, no thinking allowed! :) The only thing I will be mindful of is not eating once I am full and not stuffing myself 'til buttons pop but other than that, I will be thoroughly enjoying myself.

Then coming home and getting back on the wagon.

A cruise? Now, then I might stuff myself silly with all that all-inclusion food they give you. :) Enjoy yourself when you can because life is short!
  • micheledarley2012
    micheledarley2012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a week in an all-inclusive resort in Mexico. I don't even know how much I usually Gain on one of these trips because I don't weigh myself. However this time I actually paid attention to what I eat, stuck to very healthy breakfast and gave myself a little treat at other meals. My husband and I split dishes rather than eat our own to help me, and I made sure to stay hydrated. I also drank a ton of water, and stayed away from alcohol or even non-alcohol "virgin" drinks because they have tons of sugar in them. I know my mom has gained as much as 11 pounds in one week so you have to be careful but you should enjoy yourself because you're on vacation. You know how to eat so do what you can and the rest will come off when you come home. Have fun!
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    In April I went to Europe for 10 days, in May to Denver for 4, and in June I was at the beach for a week with my friends. Each time I didn't log, but only endulged the good food that I couldn't get at home. So nothing special on the dinner menu? I got something "lighter." Enjoy the food, but don't eat an entire pizza "because **** it, it's vacation!" Each time I came back with about 3-5lbs of water weight and (sans the beach trip) a renewed vigor for logging and eating right because I felt like, for the most part, the changes still followed me. Eat. Enjoy. Have fun. Hit the gym when you come home.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,059 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    While I was gone, I ate whatever I wanted to eat, and lots of it.

BTW ... I made a few interesting discoveries when I was on holiday ...

1) We don't have good donuts in Australia, so one of the things I enjoy when I go to Canada is eating donuts. The first one I had was a Krispy Kreme donut, and WOW was it ever sweet!! Like sickly sweet. I know on other occasions, I've packed away a whole pile of them and thought nothing of it ... this time I could only manage 2.

2) There are no dill pickle potato chips in Australia, so that's another thing I go for when I get to Canada. But this time, I could barely finish the bag because while I like the flavour, they were so incredibly salty. Normally, I might go through 2 or 3 bags, this time I ate the one bag and that was it.

In the 4 months prior to this trip, I have faithfully stuck to CI<CO, and in order to do that, I cut out most (but not all) sweet treats. I also did not touch potato chips in all that time because they tend to be a trigger food for me. Generally speaking, I ate a reasonably healthy diet ....... and it seems to have changed my taste palate. While on holiday, I found myself craving veggies of all things!! :smiley:

So it's possible you may find yourself heading for the salad bars because they're just more appealing. :)
  • DulceDiva32
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I'm so excited. I will keep a food log on the trip to monitor my daily intake