On "ability" (especially athletic)

Options
demoiselle2014
demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've only been here a little while, but something that has struck a chord with me is seeing posters who feel that, because they find starting an exercising program extremely difficult, that maybe they cannot (as in, are not capable) do that exercise. They fear they can't run, or lift, or use the machines, or follow this or that program, because when they try, they are struggling and failing, or getting so sore that they have trouble moving the next day.

It seems to me that people tend to vastly over-estimate how much natural talent and athletic ability come into play with exercise, while they simultaneously underestimate how much of exercise and athleticism is based on skill-building, muscle memory, and muscular adaptation over time.

My mother always drops out of group classes within a few weeks because she personally feels humiliated when she sees other people in the class "getting it faster" than she does. To her mind, she is not very capable of learning physical tasks, so she backs away and stops learning. And she had done this all her life, having always felt less capable than her peers. I, too, have often felt that I was not gifted in terms of my physical coordination. I certainly was--for many years--a 'weakling' (97 lbs at 5'4ish", slight frame, and the amount of muscle that you'd expect from that).

But I have learned something over time which gives me a big advantage over my mother. I have come to realize that there is actually a lot of skill and knowledge involved in working out. Skills and knowledge that you can build over time. If you get involved in one kind of physical activity and stick it out, you'll get better at moving your body, learning steps, following a teacher's movement. If you stick with one kind of exercise (walking, swimming), you'll gradually build a base of fitness that will make each new physical task a little bit easier.

I have realized that I did myself a great disservice for the first 27-30 years of my life by telling myself that I was not athletic. It means that I did not build that base of skills and body knowledge. When I go into a class, I am learning things for the first time, whereas some of the other people there have encountered those moves before and have the muscle memory that allows them to execute moves with much less mental effort. I had less of a base to build on. But in the last seven or eight years, I have cycled through various kinds of activities (pilates, yoga, weight machines, kickboxing, running, dance), and to my great pleasure I have found that each new thing I start is a little easier than it was a few years ago. I have developed body awareness, I have learned how to better mimic others' movements, my muscles "remember" various kinds of movements so I don't have to stumble and think about them anymore. I have a more solid base of strength and endurance.

I want to encourage everyone here to reframe their thoughts about exercising and sports. It really isn't about raw talent. Yes, there are some people who seem a bit quicker, and some people naturally tackle physical tasks with greater ease. But for most, it is an accumulation of skill over time. This "ability" is not innate, it is cultivated. If you are lucky, perhaps you've been developing it since childhood. If you are like me, you had to wait until adulthood. But it isn't too late. I promise. You don't have to be like my mother, always convinced that she's just not good at that stuff (because she was born that way). That attitude robs you of so many opportunities!

I invite you to embrace it when exercise is challenging. When a movement feels unnatural, unfamiliar, or awkward. It means you are adding something to your skillset. You are learning a new way of moving (that, if you keep practicing, you'll never forget). You are building strength. The fact that five or ten minutes is all you can do at the start is not a condemnation of your ability. It's an achievement, something to build upon.

Give yourself time. I know it is uncomfortable to feel like you are failing, but it is through repetition and practice that you'll reach that place of ease.

Good luck.

Replies

• twofastdogs
    twofastdogs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That was a very positive and encouraging message. Thanks.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That was a very positive and encouraging message. Thanks.

Sweet pup!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Very good post, OP. Very encouraging and a good take on things.

My husband is one of the people with a lot of natural athleticism and physical ability. However, he likes to play sports but doesn't like to exercise just for the sake of exercising. I'm the flipflop of him in that I have very little natural athleticism but love exercising for the sake of exercising/fitness. I'm willing to put a lot of time into learning and practicing the physical stuff that I enjoy. There are some things that I'm not willing to spend time on but that's because I just flat out am not interested in them. Overall, though, if an activity interests me, I'll work on it to figure it out.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wonderful post!

I was horrifically clumsy growing up, and was terrible at most things physical. (Except for dancing, although that might have been just my opinion ;) - but even that used to be painful for hours afterwards).

When I embraced fitness much later in life, it was a revelation. I had no idea it was possible to feel so great. It's added to my quality of life in a huge way.

(The one caution I think I might add is that sometimes, if you're clumsy and just bad at many activities, part of the reason might be that you have wonky biomechanics. If so, addressing that is important to help prevent injuries - so get instruction when you're starting out, and give form your full attention. And reading your post again, you've said that already :) )
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    We need a like button......

While not all people respond the same way to new physical demands I look at it the same was as learning a musical instrument or second language. Practice, practice, practice.....and sticking to it.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Best post of the year.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What a great message -- both in terms of content and delivery. It was a great read. I have been attending the same group fitness class (or type of classes) for about 8 years. About once a month someone will comment that I make it look easy, how do I do it so well, or some other variation. My response is always "you will make it look easy too, if you stick with it. On my first attempt, I fell. Literally, I tripped and landed on my caboose. You didn't so you're already one step ahead of me!"

Thanks for sharing!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Excellent post.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. My big revelation also this year is that the body responds far more quickly than I imagined to new demands. I call what you are describing as being "body aware". And I haven't been for half a century. I am just coming to know my muscles my joints, and what they need to stay strong and flexible.

And as for your mom, yeah, I would have walked out of Zumba class a long time ago if I tried to compare. I imagined I looked a lot more graceful than I was, a sort of targeted self-denial. And I did get better over time.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great Post , Thanks. Tell your Mom , for me , that the only person she is competing with is the person she saw in the mirror when she got up this AM. just say "Can I be better than THAT person"
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Great post! We really do need a "like" button.

I feel the same way with regards to being awkward and not necessarily knowing the right "moves". That's why I prefer to work out at home. I can go at my own pace.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! Agreed on the like button!

I wish I could show this to all the students who struggle at my karate club. We have a lot of middle-aged parents and young kids who drop out after a few months because they "don't get it", but they just don't see the students who've been with us for 5 years who are only now getting that breakthrough.

My upperclassman has been practicing with us for probably 8 years and it's only in the last 2 that he's made drastic improvements and changes. I'm one of those "naturally talented" folks (I think it was the amount of volleyball, basketball and dance my family introduced me to as a kid) and I used to be able to beat him consistently in sparring. Now, though, he's far surpassed me and I can't out-maneuver him anymore - and he's an old man!

It's amazing what small, incremental improvements culminate into. Thank you for sharing, and for sticking with it!
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!

I really wish that I could have told myself at 18 that, if I just persisted at a new physical task long enough, I'd make major breakthroughs and it would snowball into many of my other physical activities.

It also feels really good to discover that some skills I thought were beyond me as a child are not beyond me as an adult. I developed coordination very late, and my fine motor skills were also slower to develop than usual. I am still someone who runs into tables and door frames. But I can dance gracefully.

Plus, back then I lacked the awareness to know when something was difficult simply because the adults or teachers couldn't figure out how to communicate something to me in a way that I could understand. As an adult, I can 1) ask questions for clarification 2) look on the internet for guidance (which is why I can now hula hoop for 40 minutes without dropping the hoop, when as a kid I couldn't figure out how to do two revolutions of the hoop).
  • demoiselle2014
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ThatMouse wrote: »
    I wish I could show this to all the students who struggle at my karate club. We have a lot of middle-aged parents and young kids who drop out after a few months because they "don't get it", but they just don't see the students who've been with us for 5 years who are only now getting that breakthrough.

That is something else that is invisible for many newcomers to a class: a few people will stick to an activity for a very long time. In my first pilates class, I felt like such a wimp as the youngest person by 20+ years in the room. One woman in particular really impressed me. It was only in my third repetition of the class that I discovered she'd been taking that teacher's pilates class three times a week for five years.

My husband and I take dance classes for exercise and pleasure, and we have realized that in some dance schools, the "regulars" come nightly or almost nightly. They will walk around and look to see which class looks good, or needs more leaders or followers each night or each cycle, and just join in. So you could have someone who has been taking classes for 30 years in your beginner class. And there you are, wondering why it's so hard for you when these other people seem to be catching on so quickly!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    This is why I tailor my workout to the activities that I love. I want to be a better tap dancer five years from now, not a better faux kick boxer from doing aerobics classes, no offense to anyone who loves aerobics classes. For me, fitness is more fun when it's applied to art.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    This is why I tailor my workout to the activities that I love. I want to be a better tap dancer five years from now, not a better faux kick boxer from doing aerobics classes, no offense to anyone who loves aerobics classes. For me, fitness is more fun when it's applied to art.

It's great that you've found that out about yourself! It can be very helpful to have a goal beyond "generic fitness" for some people. Dancing has done this for me and my husband. We love to do it together, and we have both taken up other fitness activities to enhance our more "artsy" activity.

But there can be real benefits for the aerobics style classes, too, which are difficult to appreciate. Those classes can help develop coordination, balance, body awareness, etc. It may seem silly, but I have been doing yoga at home in front of a mirror for the last two months, and by looking at what my body is doing while I am doing it I have gotten much more aware of what it feels like when I am standing or sitting with good posture, for example.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I learned this when I joined karate classes as a teenager. The confidence I developed over time, learning how my body moves and having that mind/body connection just *click*, is something I'll never forget. It definitely keeps me from giving up on physical activities I may not be great at, just starting out.
  • demoiselle2014
    Options
    I learned this when I joined karate classes as a teenager. The confidence I developed over time, learning how my body moves and having that mind/body connection just *click*, is something I'll never forget. It definitely keeps me from giving up on physical activities I may not be great at, just starting out.

I wish that more people had this experience when young.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Wow. This could be me and my mom. She wanted to join my dance class because "look what it did for you!" She came a few times, but was so frustrated that she couldn't coordinate arms and legs. I tried to encourage her by telling her that it was 6-9 months before I felt like I really had it, and could anticipate the instructor's cuing and follow along. Her response (and my sister's as well)?? "9 months?? forget it. I'm out." I started swimming a year ago, quite terribly and inefficiently. I kept working on it, watching videos, asking questions. Now I can swim. Not long, but I can feel what my body is doing correctly or incorrectly and it's something I enjoy working on. My sister was frustrated because she "took swim lessons!!!" and still can't swim. She went to TWO LESSONS. We give our kids lessons for months or years to learn new skills. Sometimes we give ourselves a day or two to try something and then we give up.

I totally agree that learning new things has been wonderful and so helpful. I've stopped trying to convert people to the activities I learned, worked hard at, practiced and enjoy. I'm just enjoying the process (and wondering what my next "thing" will be...) :)

Great post, OP :heart:
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Great post :)

I would still not call myself athletic, but I went from least active person in my family to most active. My brother is one of those guys that can pick up any sport he wants and excell at it. That was never me, and that used to make really jaleous. However, I've been doing BodyCombat for 7 years now and am getting pretty great at it. It truly does get easier the longer you try.