fitbit calorie adjustment?

Options
Hello,
I did a lot more walking than usual today and fitbit gave me a calorie adjustment of 300, however I'm confused as on my fitbit interface it says I've burned 2200 calories - does this include the running I did this morning which I logged into myfitnesspal (did not use fitbit). Basically I had a 400 calorie adjustment for my running, making my calorie goal 2500, then fitbit gave me an extra 300 calories for my walking...but the app says I've only burned 2200 through walking + BMR today. I'm just feeling confused, can somebody explain it to me?

Replies

• CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    When you say you didn't use the Fitbit for your run, do you mean you didn't have it with you, or that you didn't log it as a formal workout? If you had it on you, but logged the exercise in MFP, you're double counting.

Before my Fitbit bit the dust, I tended to only log my workouts on Fitbit, so there was no risk of double counting (the device can adjust when you give it the time of the workout), and didn't bother to log step-based (running, elliptical, arc trainer) workouts at all. I figured the Fitbit captured them well enough. :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    When you say you didn't use the Fitbit for your run, do you mean you didn't have it with you, or that you didn't log it as a formal workout? If you had it on you, but logged the exercise in MFP, you're double counting.

Before my Fitbit bit the dust, I tended to only log my workouts on Fitbit, so there was no risk of double counting (the device can adjust when you give it the time of the workout), and didn't bother to log step-based (running, elliptical, arc trainer) workouts at all. I figured the Fitbit captured them well enough. :)
    @CountessKitteh - The bolded statement is false. MFP sends over any logged exercise to Fitbit and Fitbit will overwrite it's own calorie burn for the time/duration that you logged the exercise with the calorie burn from MFP.
    Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8duevx9y9TY&feature=youtu.be
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I didn't have my fitbit on me - I manually logged the workout on MFP :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

I didn't have my fitbit on me - I manually logged the workout on MFP :)

If your talking about your "calories burned" on Fitbit, that is the number it estimates you burned so far today. If your talking about the adjustment math, well that's a bit more complicated. So where are you seeing the 2200 calorie burn?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    On my fitbit interface it says I've burned 2200 calories - does this include the running I did this morning which I logged into myfitnesspal (did not use fitbit). Basically I had a 400 calorie adjustment for my running, making my calorie goal 2500, then fitbit gave me an extra 300 calories for my walking...but the app says I've only burned 2200 through walking + BMR today. I'm just feeling confused, can somebody explain it to me?

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE. Adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn & your MFP activity level.

Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time, so do not log any step-based activity. If you want your runs to appear in your newsfeed, post a status update.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

@CountessKitteh - The bolded statement is false. MFP sends over any logged exercise to Fitbit and Fitbit will overwrite it's own calorie burn for the time/duration that you logged the exercise with the calorie burn from MFP.
    Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8duevx9y9TY&feature=youtu.be

This was not the case when I still had mine. Glad to see things have improved!

ETA: *Either with the devices or the syncing. Totally could have been an isolated incident.