Hypothyroidism weight loss success stories

Options

Replies

• Deafening_Silence
    Deafening_Silence Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    My main problem is food prep for the week for lunches and etc. I don't know how to begin and could use some help. Right now I'm drinking a protein shake for breakfast, buying Lean Cuisine for my lunches (Hope to eventually make my own lunches to bring that are more fresh and filling), and trying to eat a good portion of dinner.

I make a big pot of something on the weekend, then freeze individual portions. Soon there's a nice selection of healthy meals to choose from.

No need to cook everything from scratch. I buy a lot of prepared & frozen food at Trader Joe's.

What kind of stuff do you cook? I just need some ideas, hope to start soon.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Soups freeze well. My favorite comfort food is this Crock-Pot recipe. Mine is huge, so I put lots of veg in the bottom: http://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/2008/05/lemon-and-herb-crockpot-roasted-chicken.html

And lentil soup: http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2009/mar/25/moosewood-lentil-soup-over-the-top/

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn, so cook whatever you like.
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism which caused drastic weight gain then very sudden weight loss since my early 20's. Since I had to take cytomel in my mid 40's, I at first lost again a lot of weight suddenly then it hasn't spiked again. Running in a camp I lost weight two years ago but I've never gotten back to super skinny. The camp was two hours in the Summer of running for 7 weeks. Now with the change of life, and the hypothyroidism I've not lost any large amount of weight even with two hours of fast walking four times a week. Now in my 50's I'm wondering if I need to except my body as is or if I can get the weight off with two strikes against me. My weight budged some with low, low calorie food such as celery, carrots all day and an hour a day of rowing on a small machine last Fall. I think my body looked different once my thyroid went and it seemed to be very bloated weight gain and when it occurred I was a size 4 then went to a size 14 within 6 months. Now I'm a size 8 and just trying to lose or at least maintain.. that's what happened at my age.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Now with the change of life, and the hypothyroidism I've not lost any large amount of weight even with two hours of fast walking four times a week.

Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight.

PS. MFP has a Near or Post Menopausal group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've been Hypothyroid for almost 20 years. I gained about 25Lbs. after the birth of my 2 children so I joined Weight Watchers many years ago and lost all of it. I found MFP 2 years ago during maintanence and have kept it off and even lost a few more. I don't believe Synthroid had any part at all in my weight loss. Instead it was a better diet that helped lose the weight and excercise that has kept it off.
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • Elaicea73
    Elaicea73 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 2 years ago. It's taken until now to get my dosage to where it needs to be. And I'm honestly still not sure it's exactly right, need to schedule blood work again, but I feel lots better so I assume it's either the right dosage or very close. I'm on 100mg of Levothyroxine at the moment. I've lost 100lbs since last July. I can't say if I lost any of it due to meds alone because once I started feeling near human, I started making changes. Eating better, moving more... the medicine helps you lose by pulling you out of the zombie state under-active thyroid puts you in. I wish you the best. Untreated symptoms of hypothyroidism are the absolute worst :s
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Trust me I know. Im losing clumps of hair, Im always tired but cant sleep, Im always cold, Headaches. You name the symptom I got it.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypothyroid with PCOS a few years ago. I was having a really hard time losing weight, and about six months into treatment (medication plus diet/exercise) I started to see the pounds drop. MFP and calorie counting helped me take off about 20lbs, and the ONLY reason I haven't lost more than that is because I haven't been strict enough with my calorie deficit.
  • Ken2Pam
    Ken2Pam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a combinat of Graves & Hashimoto's, I have been taking synthroid for almost 7 years know. That has helped the damage done by the autoimmune disease.

Regular exercise building slowly over the past two years I have lost 40 plus pounds and kept if off over 15 months now. Regular exercise, steady 5 to 6 times a week, it does not always have to be hard but regular 30 to 50 min or more, that has been the ticket for me.

Also get checked for vitamin D deficiency, I had that going on as well. My endocrinologist says the research is just coming together, but she put me on a regular dose of vitamin D as well and energy and optimism has improved.

Keep up the good work.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thank you guys. I see my Dr 2morow for my ultrasound of my thyroid. Im nervous as to what hes going to say. My previous Dr said one of my T3 or T4 numbers were low and prescribed me iodine which did not work.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness you had the sense to find a new doc! Iodine? Pardon my language, but WTF? Far too few physicians stay current on their practice.

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer as part of a follow up exam while I was still in the Navy, resulting in total thyroidectomy in May 2000. I was no longer able to serve in my job function and went back to finish my graduate work. Over the next 15 years I pretty much stopped working out and managed to put on about 75 lbs.

About this time last year I read an article on Jeffrey Brown, endocrinologist who specializes in training elite athletes with hypothyroidism - many of whom performed better after diagnosis. My wife had used MFP to get back in shape after giving birth to our three kids and is the best shape of her life. I started using the site and made several newbie mistakes, but followed the CICO philosophy and lost over 50lbs to date. My endo and I came up with a plan using Synthroid at 175 & 200 mcg alternating daily. My TSH is holding steady at ~2.0.

My end goal is not so much weight, but to get back into adventure racing and multisport (triathlon). I started lifting again and surpassed my previous maximums in all categories except the deadlift, but getting there.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2010 with hypothyroidism and put on levothyroxine (synthroid equivalent in the uk) I gained about 46lbs before the weight gain finally stopped. Since starting to diet a few years ago I've managed to lose 42lbs, its taken me this long because I've had two major surgeries in between one in 2012 and one last year. I would like to lose about the same again to get me to a normal weight so I'm sort of half way. I eat whatever i fancy as long as i can fit it in my daily calorie intake so that includes fries ;) and i do generally light exercise such as walking, swimming and yoga definitely not as often as i would like but you work with what you've got.
    Good luck, with hard work and the right treatment it is definitely possible.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for 11 years, since I was 19. I've likely had it since childhood though as I've been symptomatic since then. The medication will not make you lose weight but it should level the playing field so that you can lose weight by eating less calories than you burn. I've had ups and downs with my weight over the years, especially with having 2 children. I had no difficulty losing the baby weight with my first. With the second however I've been trying for nearly a year to lose weight and have had no success despite eating less calories than I should be burning. I finally got my medication increased and sure enough it started coming off easily with calories counting. It's important to find the right amount of medication so that both blood tests are in the normal range AND you are not symptomatic. It's also worth getting your B12 and vitamin D levels checked as well as people with hypothyroidism are often deficient in these vitamins and they both play a role in your metabolic rate.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I see my Dr 2morow for my ultrasound of my thyroid. Im nervous as to what hes going to say. My previous Dr said one of my T3 or T4 numbers were low and prescribed me iodine which did not work.

An ultrasound is nothing to be nervous about—knowledge is power.

The proper treatment for hypothyroidism is Synthroid, Synthroid + Cytomel, or Armour. It'll take trial & error to find what works for you. A good endocrinologist will adjust your dosage(s) regularly, based on both blood tests + symptoms.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as having hypothyroid last summer, I'm now stabilised on 100mcg of levothyroxine a day. Since January I've lost 23lbs. I'm also b12 deficient and have an injection of this every 3 months. :smile:

• orchidbutterflies
    orchidbutterflies Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid as well, I was diagnosed about 7 years ago but I avoided doctors during that time and only started regularly taking medication in March.
    My levels are around 4.5 now but they were at 16. I lost about half of my hair's volume and even with treatment it hasn't improved. I have however managed to lose 70lbs since February by using MFP and increasing my activity. My energy levels and mental clarity I attribute to my diet overhaul. I noticed the fog lift (depression and anxiety sufferer as well) about two weeks into my new eating habits, so that was before I started on synthroid.
    I don't think if I was to stop taking the medication it would affect my weight loss at all though (don't plan on doing that, of course!) I was dropping weight while my thyroid function was at its worst.
  • mustangtiff21
    mustangtiff21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im wondering do you all.follow what MFP gives as macros or do you all follow n low carb higher fat? I do low carb and well. ..sees to not help like youd think it would. Ugh!! Feel free to add me...I've lost 130# prior but now im stuck...
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Im wondering do you all.follow what MFP gives as macros or do you all follow n low carb higher fat? I do low carb and well. ..sees to not help like youd think it would.

I use MFP's default protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. Not because it affects weight loss in any way (it doesn't), but because it makes me less hungry.

It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!