I can't seem to eat enough protein.

Options
I'm over 65, still teaching and loving it. I've been completing my diary for two months now, and never reach my protein goal. Could this be why I'm not losing weight?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It is not why you are not losing weight. Protein is a macronutrient you want to get enough of for health benefits. Calories in vs. calories out determine weight loss.
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Has nothing to do with your protein intake. Calorie in vs calorie out.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've been going for just a month, and also have trouble hitting my protein goal (the weight is coming off, but I want to have a better balance of macros, plus I'm still healing from a hip replacement, so need protein for muscle repair). I've started adding meat, legumes, cheese, and/or hard-boiled eggs to just about everything! My calorie goal isn't overly restrictive, so I can also eat a piece of roast chicken or a few ounces of deli turkey or a hardboiled egg as my snack. I just make sure my portion measurements are accurate and stay within my calorie range.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log your food accurately and eat at a deficit to lose the weight.
    If you can't eat enough to hit your protein goal, great suggestions above, get a protein powder for the days you are low.
    Cheers, h.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I kind of gave up on hitting the protein goal. I just don't like protein foods very much and got sick of the struggle. I get some, but I don't usually get the recommended amount. Still, I lose weight.

We should all try to get enough protein, but it's not necessary to lose weight.
  • didyouworkout
    didyouworkout Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Protein helps me feel fuller for longer. Try adding cottage cheese to your meals for lots of extra protein!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I recommend lentils, Greek yogurt and blue grenadier if your having protein troubles.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If you open your food diary, people can make suggestions but yes it can be hard to get enough protein. But there are healthy benefits so keep trying. I agree its not why you are not losing weight. That is probably because your calories are too high for your activity level. Try keeping a food diary. I mean a proper one. Not a calorie counting food diary.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Work to include protein in every meal, every snack. Then you won't get stuck with no calories at the end of the day and off target. I keep Premier Protein shakes around for tough days; 30 grams of protein each.
  • cumbrialass49
    cumbrialass49 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I appreciate everything!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Nuts. They're pretty calorie dense, so you need to account for that. Also, there's some nutrition drinks that have added protein. I use Boost, the chocolate one is pretty good cold, so makes a good breakfast if I need one on the run.

And are you using MFP's recommendation for what your protein is? If you think it's too high, talk to your doctor about it. Some people do fine with lower daily amounts than others, and if you're one, your doctor can help you adjust or recommend someone that can help.
  • Adrobins
    Adrobins Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sardines & Tuna. Don't eat cheese for protein, unless you wanna gain weight. Lean protein.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're not losing, because you're not in a deficit. Are you using a food scale?
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If you log your exercise your macro amounts change (I've noticed), but if you don't eat back your calories (which I don't - Really MFP, I burned over 1000 calories riding my bike today? I just don't think so), your macros are then thrown off. I try to eat things that are healthy and keep me full - fiber and protein rich foods. I love the recommendations - 2% Breakstone cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, nuts, chicken (keeps me fuller longer than ANY other protein), eggs and egg whites - I boil a dozen at a time and keep them in the fridge for a snack, beef jerky, cheese sticks, beans are all good choices. Try resetting your goals a little. Some times you have to play around with your food to get it right. I call it my dieting "sweet spot", which includes an hour of ANY exercise a day and about 1500 calories. You WILL find yours!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Adrobins wrote: »
    Sardines & Tuna. Don't eat cheese for protein, unless you wanna gain weight. Lean protein.

I eat cheese for protein all the time. Still losing weight. There is nothing wrong with fat, except that it is calorie dense, so I always weigh my cheese (well, all my protein sources).

Edamame is another go-to of mine. It just depends on whether I am trying to top up protein and fat or protein and carbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I'm over 65, still teaching and loving it. I've been completing my diary for two months now, and never reach my protein goal. Could this be why I'm not losing weight?

Nope. As pointed out above, the thing that matters for weight loss is eating fewer calories than you burn, regardless of the protein/carbs/fat composition of the foods that make up your caloric intake.

But...I will say that meeting my protein macros helps me lose weight because I find that protein keeps me feeling satiated. I am sometimes slightly under, but not usually by much - mostly because I really focus on protein and include a bit in every meal or snack. Eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, beans, lentils, tofu, and peanut butter are daily staples, and I sometimes have salmon and (very occasionally) chicken or turkey. There are several varieties of protein bars and protein powders that are tasty - though plan their use carefully because they are usually pretty high in calories.

If you aren't losing weight, the most likely reason is that you eat more than you realize because your logging isn't accurate. Tighten up your logging - including weighing your food - and you may be surprised at the results.

Yes, except for my bedtime snack, I look at the protein content of every meal and up it if needed. If it's a new meal that doesn't include meat, I'll pre-log it to see if I need to up the protein. Cottage cheese provides a good non-meat protein bang for the calorie buck.

Having more protein (and fat and veggies) has allowed me to eat at a deficit and lose weight without feeling hungry.