Cardio ideas

Options
RRB2000
RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
I have always preferred the treadmill and running on it. Not walking. I'm getting a little bored with that now. Any suggestions of other good burning, make you sweaty cardio I can try at the gym? I've been trying the elliptical, can only get about 10 minutes out of that right now. I've been doing 30 min running at about 4.5-5.2. I have no desire to up it, I just like it b/c I am sweaty and feel like I did something when I'm done. Also, I usually do my 30 min cardio and then do strength training. Should I do cardio at the end, or is beginning "better."

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    the most neglected , but most awesome bit of cardio equipment the rower. I like stairmaster as well. All cardio can be boring, vyt uts mire ibteresting when you get results, make progress and maybe have some music. A lot of people just go through the motions though.

I prefer to do cardio after weights as i like to be at peak so i cna manage to lift heavy things.

The nie weather is here so outside is a nice place to be especially when the suns shining.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    does your gym offer classes? spin or kickboxing?? rowing is absolutely fantastic way to spend 30 minutes. do you have bikes at the gym? another awesome work out. just be ready to push yourself through the thigh burn. what about running outside? change of scenery can do wonders for a run :smiley:
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Ooh, yeah. The rower is great. If you haven't tried a spin class yet, see if your gym offers them. You get super sweaty and you can really feel the burn in your legs. Plus, with the music and class setting, it doesn't get boring. Try running outside to get off the treadmill if you can.
  • RRB2000
    Options
    The rower is a great idea..I've never done that one. My gym does have classes, I just haven't worked up the nerve to try any yet. I have ran outside before, but once I joined the gym I just wanted to utilize all they have but also not feel confined to the treadmill since I have one right at home too. I will try the row machine tonite actually, and think I'll do it AFTER arms. :) Thanks for the ideas.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    do the classes! i love classes! try as many of them as possible and make a schedule involving the ones you loved.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Also, you don't have to start with 30 minutes on the rower. Personally I've started with 2 sessions of 5 minutes with about a minute of rest in between, then I did some stationary bike (you could also hop on the tredmill for an amount of time) and then finish the session with another 2 sets of 5 minutes rowing machine (with a minute rest in between).
    Slowly build up those 5 minute sessions untill you are a bit more familiar with the movement pattern :smile:
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I generally stick with the treadmill and elliptical (although I used to ride the stationery bike for miles everyday and had amazing calves) at the gym. However, most of my cardio is classes - Zumba and water fitness. I also like the Les Mills classes if you have those (Body Pump, Body Flow, etc.) They are cardio with weights and awesome. I always do a little bit of cardio before weights to get my heart up.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Stairmaster. It's SO EASY on the joints. No one thinks it will be, but it is. It will always have a special place in my heart for that alone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I really like riding my bike....a lot. I like doing a little swimming and hiking as well.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Definitely give the classes a try! They add so much variety to what you have available, and can help you find things you really enjoy. I hate machines and they bore me to tears, but I love kickboxing and zumba.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Stairmaster. It's SO EASY on the joints. No one thinks it will be, but it is. It will always have a special place in my heart for that alone.

Am I to surmise that you're implying that running is hard on your joints?

details.com/blogs/daily-details/2014/12/health-myth-running-is-bad-for-your-knees.html

menshealth.com/health/biggest-running-myth-debunked

To the OP.....+1 on the rower but ease into it and make sure you're using proper form. I use mine for x-training, I know people who use it at their weapon of choice. If you're getting bored running on a treadmill (it would make me crazy too) give some thought to running outside, it can add a whole new dimension to your running, especially as the seasons change

• Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Not sure what is at your gym but I started on Treadmill, which was boring and hurt my calf muscle. I then went on to Elliptical using the interval mode and increased the level over time. I really enjoyed the elliptical.

After 3-4 months of progress I was encouraged to use the Arc trainer. I could barely do level one on the interval setting. It was TOUGH. But I eventually built up and I still use it (going on a year plus now). IMO a much better workout than the elliptical. It has a TV and I use music, ipod.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I get super bored with my cardio if I don't switch it up constantly. I try out different classes, different instructors (2 instructors teaching the same class can be 2 very different classes!) and different intensities. I hate the treadmill with a passion, but running outside on a trail is bliss for me.

Right now I'm doing Zumba, yoga, bootcamp, heavy lifting and running, alternating in spin, step and swimming. I recently heard about a class called Drums Alive that sounds really cool. Also, there is a free offering of it in the park next week, so I am totally trying it out. Basically, it's stability balls and drum sticks and the workout is drumming on the ball.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I myself love the treadmill I normally do 30 minute run but 20 of that I incorporate HIIT and inclines but I also love the rowing machine too I add HIIT into that aswell it's great!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

Am I to surmise that you're implying that running is hard on your joints?

details.com/blogs/daily-details/2014/12/health-myth-running-is-bad-for-your-knees.html

menshealth.com/health/biggest-running-myth-debunked

To the OP.....+1 on the rower but ease into it and make sure you're using proper form. I use mine for x-training, I know people who use it at their weapon of choice. If you're getting bored running on a treadmill (it would make me crazy too) give some thought to running outside, it can add a whole new dimension to your running, especially as the seasons change

I was a runner for years--track and cross country--and had to stop for a long time. The motion of lifting my leg back at the end of a stride caused pain.

There's a thing called "runner's knee" for a reason, and knee injuries are also the most common injuries among runners. Running doesn't cause DEGENERATIVE joint problems, but it does cause acute ones.
  • RRB2000
    Options
    Tell me how to do HIIT on the treadmill. I know WHAT it is, high intensity, but how would I incorporate it in? Length of time, incline, etc. That might be something I try just to break up the monotony.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    RRB2000 wrote: »
    The rower is a great idea..I've never done that one. My gym does have classes, I just haven't worked up the nerve to try any yet. I have ran outside before, but once I joined the gym I just wanted to utilize all they have but also not feel confined to the treadmill since I have one right at home too. I will try the row machine tonite actually, and think I'll do it AFTER arms. :) Thanks for the ideas.

The rowers your gym has are likely Concept2 machines, as they're the most widely recognized and most reliable. I wouldn't worry about your ARM workout, but if you row with proper form, it's killer for your legs! It's truly a wonderful machine.

I'd recommend studying form a bit. People complain that rowing is bad for your back or knees. It's actually good for both if done properly. Here's a link to some form videos: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos
  • Shawna_L
    Shawna_L Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I stay far far away from the treadmill area of my gym. Bleck. I rotate between rowing, cycling, and various cardio classes (Zumba, kickboxing, etc).
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Spinning!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Jump rope. It's cheap, you can do it almost anywhere and it really trains balance, coordination and endurance.