Help wanted, Weighing fruit....specifically stoned fruit

Options
So stupid question really. I want to eat a peach, now I planned on weighing it before I ate it and weighing the stone after and reducing grams accordingly. Usd is that the correct way though?

Replies

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I believe you're supposed to weigh it before, with the pit included.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters. The usda is counting the fruit part of the fruit, not the stone.

Skin makes a difference, especially in fiber, so if you're peeling things, look for the "without skin" entry. Stones, not so much.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Technically, that's correct (net weight of fruit consumed=total weight minus remaining stone weight). Personally, I believe this is overkill, as we're never able to be perfect in our logging. The same peach isn't going to have the same nutritional characteristics grown on a different tree, different region, etc. The USDA calculates the energy in a batch of peaches, carefully weighed, and displays the average. This is the same for all foods. Logging as accurately as possible is definitely a positive, but getting into the weeds netting apple cores or peach stones is probably not worth the effort.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Yep, that will do it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    So stupid question really. I want to eat a peach, now I planned on weighing it before I ate it and weighing the stone after and reducing grams accordingly. Usd is that the correct way though?

Yes, that is correct. Log what you eat. If you don't eat it, don't log it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not sure a couple grams is gonna throw your count off that bad...unless you are such a low margin you need all the calories you can get...
  • CharlotteRose82
    CharlotteRose82 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    Technically, that's correct (net weight of fruit consumed=total weight minus remaining stone weight). Personally, I believe this is overkill, as we're never able to be perfect in our logging. The same peach isn't going to have the same nutritional characteristics grown on a different tree, different region, etc. The USDA calculates the energy in a batch of peaches, carefully weighed, and displays the average. This is the same for all foods. Logging as accurately as possible is definitely a positive, but getting into the weeds netting apple cores or peach stones is probably not worth the effort.

I'm eating it straight....I weighed it and the calories aren't that high so I'm not even going to bother weighing the stone, seems to much hassle for a handful of calories, I'd rather over estimate than under
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm eating it straight....I weighed it and the calories aren't that high so I'm not even going to bother weighing the stone, seems to much hassle for a handful of calories, I'd rather over estimate than under

Good answer. :-) I always, always try to err on the "over" side when logging, as there's no reliable weigh to count calories burned via activity.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i totally saw this and thought "what? how do you get a peach stoned? when you get stoned you have trouble weighing a peach?" lol
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    "Stoned fruit."

Lol. :)
  • 7seas_sailing
    7seas_sailing Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Me too! I was wondering if the op was stoned, then I re-read the post. I'd just weight the peach, and err on over logging. I suspect either way works.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    i totally saw this and thought "what? how do you get a peach stoned? when you get stoned you have trouble weighing a peach?" lol

Hahaha this is awesome!!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I weigh the whole thing, with the stone, log it and don't worry about it. At most the stone is a few grams, which isn't going to make any difference in the long run.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's right.

It doesn't make much difference, though. The stone weighs less than you might think.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don't believe cannabis adds any nutritional value to the fruit.
    It might act as an appetite stimulant though...
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options

Exactly what i do

I put plastic wrap in my scale and weigh food scraps

I do the same if I eat a steak
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    "Stoned fruit."

Lol. :)

hqdefault.jpg
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I weigh stone fruit and apples whole and then just round down to the nearest 10. I mean, for such a small amount, it won't matter.

If you really want to make yourself crazy, realize that the sugar in individual fruits has some variation, and the USDA number is only an average.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Oh, my gosh. I am now picturing all these little fruits participating in an activity that is legal in some states and not others, so I won't type it out, but...it's kind of as cute as it is funny. :)
  • CharlotteRose82
    CharlotteRose82 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sadly my peach wouldn't be legal here in the UK