Weight Lifting Help!

Options
arains89
arains89 Posts: 442 Member
I have just started getting serious about weight training. I have been using mostly just the machines in my gym as I have no idea where to start with free weights or anything else. I want to lose fat and tone. Anyone have any advice for a beginner? I have done turbofire, P90X and insanity and tons and tons of cardio but I have gained back some weight and want to lose the fat and tone up for good before my wedding next year. Any advice?

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Live fit
    Strong curves
    Stronglifts 5X5

I think one of these might be a good starting point
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Are these things I can just google? I feel like I have looked into a few of them but they don't really tell you where to start as far as how much weight to use goes... maybe I am just a moron I feel so so lost when it comes to all of this. But I really enjoy lifting weights when I know what I am doing and have direction. So much more than cardio.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Some gyms offer a complimentary intro training session, where a trainer may be able to help you get started, show you proper form, etc, so you could look into that. Or, if it doesn't and your budget allows, you could purchase a couple training sessions to get yourself started and then continue doing maybe 1 session a month just to check in and keep on track, to make sure you are progressing the way you want. Other than that, I've heard a lot of good things about the programs that ladybg81 mentioned. New Rules & Strong Curves I know are books, so you may want to try ordering off Amazon or something and maybe they would provide more info for you.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com = my best friend. They have nutrition information (including recipes), training programs for men and women based on your goals and experience, and breakdown (with videos) how to perform each lift properly. Spend some time on there. I've heard a lot of people like the stronglifts 5x5. I've never done it, but it's talked about on here quite a bit. I started using bodybuilding.com and as I've progressed I have found a routine that is working really well for me.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Yeah, try to find a progressive programme that you like and can stick too (I'm sure some of the ladies on here will direct you to their favourites). Try to do mainly compound exercises (Multiple muscle groups) for all over body workout and isolation exercises secondary. Make sure you are meeting your protein requirements and hitting your over all calorie goal (It sounds as though you are looking to recomp?).
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Some of the programs will give you suggestions on what to use as a starting weight. For stronlifts, which is a simple program to follow, for example, on a number of the lifts it is recommended to start with the bar in order to work on form. If that's too heavy then you can find a fixed bar at a lower weight or work on the lift with dumbbells. I had to go lower than the 45 for overhead press as that was too challenging in the beginning to get proper form. With deadlift, you can maybe do more than the bar though but might not manage the 135 that gives the best height with the 45 plates on the bar. You can stack plates or use steps to use lower weights, even just 10s on the bar and practice the motion. If it's really too light, just increase the weight on the lift. If it's too heavy, find a lower weight.

Trainer is a good suggestion if possible and watch videos to see form online as well. You want to work in the beginning just to get the hang of the motion with the barbell and to make sure your form is correct so that you don't have problems when increasing to heavier weights.
  • jendiaz9732
    jendiaz9732 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »
    www.bodybuilding.com = my best friend. They have nutrition information (including recipes), training programs for men and women based on your goals and experience, and breakdown (with videos) how to perform each lift properly. Spend some time on there. I've heard a lot of people like the stronglifts 5x5. I've never done it, but it's talked about on here quite a bit. I started using bodybuilding.com and as I've progressed I have found a routine that is working really well for me.

ABSOLUTELY LOVE this website. Perfect for beginners, gives you options and is free to register!!

• 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a book, but I highly recommend buying it. If you have a library you have access to, you could check it out there, too. It was life changing for me. The program is excellent and all of the information in it is on point and useful.

ETA: If you choose to use a Bodybuilding.com program, be careful about the one you pick. Some of them run a pretty hardcore deficit and it's easy to get overwhelmed/burned out.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    ETA: If you choose to use a Bodybuilding.com program, be careful about the one you pick. Some of them run a pretty hardcore deficit and it's easy to get overwhelmed/burned out.

Agreed. Be honest about your experience level and goals when you are putting your info in.
  • deepakkumararaj
    deepakkumararaj Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    arains89 wrote: »
    Are these things I can just google? I feel like I have looked into a few of them but they don't really tell you where to start as far as how much weight to use goes... maybe I am just a moron I feel so so lost when it comes to all of this. But I really enjoy lifting weights when I know what I am doing and have direction. So much more than cardio.

I strongly recommend Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength based on my experience. As a newbie I needed a proper easy to follow structured program. The stronglifts app was very helpful in keeping things simple and removing a lot of the logistics from the process. I just had to go open the app and lift according to what it said. I am no longer doing stronglifts but I will recommend it to anyone who is getting into barbell training for the first time.

Also the Book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a must have. It has the most detailed write up of the basic lifts that I have ever come across. The book along with YouTube videos should help you lift with proper form.