Getting rid of the beer belly and getting strong!

Options
I am 27 years old and weigh in at 285. I want to get rid of my beer gut and get in shape! I don't want to be ripped I just want muscle mass and be strong as an ox! What's the best workout routine and what macro percentage do yall recommend! Gonna be tough seeing as how I work 6-12s but I'm gonna keep my nose to the grindstone! Thanks in advance

Replies

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What is your height? I am assuming you are a guy. You can progress well on a strength program - Starting Strength or Strong Lifts come to mind (or ICF3x5 if you want to add some aesthetic gains). You do the compound lifts and increase the weight +10lbs or +5lbs every session, until you are approximately:

Squatting your bodyweight (BW) x1.5, Deadlifting BWx2, Benching BWx1 and Over Head Pressing BWx0.75, all for 5 reps. Follow the program (it will be easy at first so you can nail the form, but it gets nasty later on). You will increase your squat and deadlift by +60lbs a month, Bench and OHP +30 a month until you slow down to half that rate. Fastest way to get strength hands down.

As for losing the beer gut, you NEED to go on a cut. Calculate your TDEE (use google), and eat -500calories daily to lose 1lbs of fat a week. If you cut too hard, you end up losing muscle with the fat. A little bit of cardio or walking on off days doesn't hurt. Don't be afraid to lose weight either - consider this:

Take two hypothetical trainees at 220lbs. One has 15% body fat, and one has 25% body fat. The 15% body fat one is stronger as he simply has more muscle. Losing fat and gaining muscle is a good thing, and 15% is not ripped but is said to be ideal for those care most about performance (meanwhile those interested in aesthetics will go for 10 to 12%). Note that this is all for guys, women have different body fat levels.

Read these:
    http://www.barbellmedicine.com/training/top-10-mistakes-people-following-starting-strength-make/

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/potpourri/584/
    *you are case study#3 - fluffy novice
    If the workouts are too easy for the first month, add some HIIT (high intensity interval training), so things like biking or rowing comes to mind, at a rate of 30seconds intense / 120second normal rate, repeat x 7. This will aid in fat loss and you will feel great after.
  • SJMask89
    SJMask89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What is your height? I am assuming you are a guy. You can progress well on a strength program - Starting Strength or Strong Lifts come to mind (or ICF3x5 if you want to add some aesthetic gains). You do the compound lifts and increase the weight +10lbs or +5lbs every session, until you are approximately:

Squatting your bodyweight (BW) x1.5, Deadlifting BWx2, Benching BWx1 and Over Head Pressing BWx0.75, all for 5 reps. Follow the program (it will be easy at first so you can nail the form, but it gets nasty later on). You will increase your squat and deadlift by +60lbs a month, Bench and OHP +30 a month until you slow down to half that rate. Fastest way to get strength hands down.

As for losing the beer gut, you NEED to go on a cut. Calculate your TDEE (use google), and eat -500calories daily to lose 1lbs of fat a week. If you cut too hard, you end up losing muscle with the fat. A little bit of cardio or walking on off days doesn't hurt. Don't be afraid to lose weight either - consider this:

Take two hypothetical trainees at 220lbs. One has 15% body fat, and one has 25% body fat. The 15% body fat one is stronger as he simply has more muscle. Losing fat and gaining muscle is a good thing, and 15% is not ripped but is said to be ideal for those care most about performance (meanwhile those interested in aesthetics will go for 10 to 12%). Note that this is all for guys, women have different body fat levels.

Read these:
    http://www.barbellmedicine.com/training/top-10-mistakes-people-following-starting-strength-make/

http://www.barbellmedicine.com/potpourri/584/

I just went from 228lbs with 29% body fat to 216lbs with 15% body fat in the first 5 months of this year alone using basically what this poster said. Stronglifts 5x5 on a on a light deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    to lose the gut you gotta cut. Stronglifts 5x5 is a good strength program to start with if your goal is optimal strength.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Starting out pick any of the routines mentioned here, calculate your TDEE, subtract 10-15% from that and go for it. Typically lifting heavy during a caloric deficiet isn't the most effective strategy, but if you're fairly new to lifting you can take advantage of what's called "noob gains" and drop weight/fat and gain muscle both at a pretty good pace. That pace won't last, but that'll be the time to evaluate progress, likes/dislikes and change something up.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Start out with Stronglifts. I'm doing a spinoff of that right now and I'm deadlifting 315 after just 2.5 months (not for reps...yet). You'll get strong quickly.