13»

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Iron_Mommy wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »

But a very negative, judgmental person came in and basically said all the advice that was given wasn't good enough and that the poster should do what she does, which is eat everything she likes just in moderation. (Which is good advice I guess, but there was no need to put every else down.)

So this entire thread exists just to hate on one specific person and try to make them feel badly, and you feel that's justified because you didn't like that person's posting attitude.

No, I wouldn't say that. I was only trying to attract some more positive friends on here. And I have, so I'm happy. I was only wanting to clarify that I will happily accept criticisms if I actually ask for them.

Attract friends by calling people out because you don't like their tone... Seems legit.
  • Vickilick
    Vickilick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I guess if someone says something in a way that bothers you that much, then just address it directly with that person. It doesn't have to be on the forum to make a big scene, try messaging them directly. I'm sure most of the time it's not their intention to upset you or anyone else, but if they do come back and again give a ridiculous reply then just move on...
    Btw I'm a positive person, but until recently I wasn't aware that some of the things I wrote were quite blunt and direct. A friend mentioned it to me and said they understood as they knew me, but it was easy to misinterpret what id written.
  • Iron_Mommy
    Iron_Mommy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

But a very negative, judgmental person came in and basically said all the advice that was given wasn't good enough and that the poster should do what she does, which is eat everything she likes just in moderation. (Which is good advice I guess, but there was no need to put every else down.)

So this entire thread exists just to hate on one specific person and try to make them feel badly, and you feel that's justified because you didn't like that person's posting attitude.

No, I wouldn't say that. I was only trying to attract some more positive friends on here. And I have, so I'm happy. I was only wanting to clarify that I will happily accept criticisms if I actually ask for them.

Attract friends by calling people out because you don't like their tone... Seems legit.

I guess you are right. I'm sorry. But at least I didn't mention this person's username? I highly doubt she has read this, or she would have commented.
  • cth2020
    cth2020 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I positively am a person. Don`t know about vice versa.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    err its the internet and on forums there are different people with differing opinions. Some of them are idiots and some people are blunt or rude, some are quite reasonable but may disagree with you. Maybe dont be so sensitive or stick up for yourself.
    I will happily accept criticisms if I actually ask for them.

If you post stuff on a public forum then people are allowed to comment.

I never said you shouldn't comment :) But I wasn't actually asking for fitness advice, just positive, friendly supporters. Because that's what I need in my life.

The point was you can ask, but as people make up their own minds then not everyone is going to comply becayse thats what happens on public forums. Maybe stick to your friends list and hang out with your sort of people who can give you what you need. people disagreeing with other people happens on all public forums, these ones are very mild when compared to the rest of the net.

On another point where dietings concerned positive and friendly is nice, but imo it doesnt beat taking responsibility and really getting to grips with the fundamentals.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to me asking for advice and not liking what I was getting. I've actually never asked advice on here specific to my eating and exercise. (I save that for a local personal trainer in my town, whom I trust and know well.) I use MFP, as most people do, for logging my food and exercises and for encouragement from other people like myself.

What I WAS referring to was, someone had asked how to stay away from sweets. Everyone was offering their advice and I had commented that what works for me was to just make healthier versions of of the sweets that I enjoy. Simple as that.

Anyway... I'm enjoying all my new friendships I've already gained from this post. I love all of the encouraging messages. I'm just going to skip away from everything else on my beautiful rainbow while I fart flowers and sunshine...tra la la...la la :)

Be careful of falling into this trap (bolded). Not everyone uses MFP for the same things and many people are here from different starting points, with different goals, or at different stages in their journey. Different people respond to different things and people need/want/make different kinds of posts. We're not all here for the same reasons, and thinking that your way of using the site is the same way that the majority uses it might be part of the disconnect that seems to exist here.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm literally choking on irony right now.

Sorry, I'm one of those people, I suspect. While not negative - I'm incredibly positive - I am honest and blunt. And of course I suggest the things that have worked for me - I've lost 83 pounds. Why would I not encourage people to follow a similar path to their success?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to me asking for advice and not liking what I was getting. I've actually never asked advice on here specific to my eating and exercise. (I save that for a local personal trainer in my town, whom I trust and know well.) I use MFP, as most people do, for logging my food and exercises and for encouragement from other people like myself.

What I WAS referring to was, someone had asked how to stay away from sweets. Everyone was offering their advice and I had commented that what works for me was to just make healthier versions of of the sweets that I enjoy. Simple as that.

Anyway... I'm enjoying all my new friendships I've already gained from this post. I love all of the encouraging messages. I'm just going to skip away from everything else on my beautiful rainbow while I fart flowers and sunshine...tra la la...la la :)

So...you went into someone else's thread, who actually asked for advice, did not like the "tone" of someone's well-intentioned advice, and then came here to start your own thread to prove that you don't need other people's advice because you have it all figured out and you just want a group of people who say "Yeah, go get 'em tiger!" no matter the circumstances?

K.

This thread is weird.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

So...you went into someone else's thread, who actually asked for advice, did not like the "tone" of someone's well-intentioned advice, and then came here to start your own thread to prove that you don't need other people's advice because you have it all figured out and you just want a group of people who say "Yeah, go get 'em tiger!" no matter the circumstances?

K.

This thread is weird.

It's not weird if you're in junior high.

"Oh my GOD girls did you see HER? She's so ICKY and I don't LIKE her and you don't EITHER".
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    And finally

OP

I think you dropped this
    0511KEMP09.jpg

I don't get it........

Big E ?

Dirty E ?

Metal E ?

Metal....hmmm Metal...... Oh oh oh oh oh

IRON-E !!! IRON-E !!! I-R-O-N-Y !!!!

What do I win?????
  • jmule24
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to comment in these forums. I try to be very positive and supportive, while keeping in mind that different things work for different people. I'm just so surprised by those people that make back handed comments (usually it's someone who's lost a lot or all of their goal weight) disagreeing or putting someone down because they are achieving their goals in a different way than they did. If you aren't contributing positively to a conversation, then why are you commenting at all? Being around negative people is something that has blocked me from keeping up with with my goals in the past.

SO... If you like to have supportive positive friends on here, add me!

If you are someone who reads this and thinks for second about writing something negative or off putting, save yourself some trouble and just block me right now!! Thanks

I...uh..the..

Nope. Couldn't write anything positive. Too much of a Negative Nancy, Debbie Downer, Grumpy Gloria, etc. Good luck to you and all your health and fitness goals! By the way, mean people threads are usually set aside for Fridays. Just sayin.

Yup, this guy is on my friends list.... I can confirm he lacks a positive vibe......
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

I think I know which thread you are referring to, but going back to it, I don't see a single judgmental, mean or negative post in it. Not a single one. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thread.......

I'd like to think I'm a positive person. But I won't validate a person's poor choices or plans. I like unicorns and rainbows and all that, but I'm not about to give advice based in fantasy. I like to give advice based in reality.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP only wants unicorns and rainbows. Got it!!! ;)

I'm positive.

I'm positive that people who mistake honest opinion, respectful disagreement, scientific evidence, and the personal experience of those who have actually succeeded for negativity do not have their head fully in the game.

• Emmyfit2015
    Emmyfit2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. We are all different and have different demands. You have to decide what works for you and stick with it. It certainly won't be the same for everyone and that's okay.
  • jmule24
    Options
    tumblr_n865vdE7P91rdzuduo1_540.jpg