Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Rain on My Parade

I am supposed to do my first 5k tomorrow. I have been so excited about it! I have been feeling sick this week and this has been my bright spot to look forward to. Now my SO is pooping all over it. He doesn't want to go. I told him he doesn't have to go or participate. He is worried because I have been feeling sick and I may pass out or something. He is the worst case scenario type of person. Even though, I have been fighting illness I have still been running each day. I am doing this for me and he says he doesn't see the point of it. *heavy sigh*

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Don't let him get you down - if you've still been able to train/run while being sick, you'll do great!!

Remember to get a banana or oatmeal in ~2 hours before the race and don't "fly out of the blocks" (most people do their first 5k) - pace yourself and remember to have fun. Don't let others dictate a special day for you. Good luck!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    You can do it!
  • Sarah101010
    Sarah101010 Posts: 235
    I agree with the above posts. If you have still been running this week and are up for it, GO DO IT!!!! Then you won't regret missing it all together! Have a great time, be proud of your accomplishments and hard work! :)
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    you must do this for yourself....

are you congested? maybe take some Allegra or claritan.

I have terrible allergies, but I know when I run my body will adjust...as long as you don't have asthma I would not worry to much.

I say GO!, run your pace, walk if you must...BUT DO THIS!

Go with out him.... I would go with out my wife.

Do this for yourself... GO!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Sounds like you need to practice "selective listening" with him! Sheesh! Why would he discourage you like that?!?! Irritating! Anyway--I suggest that you go on your merry way and not say another word about feeling ill or your anxiety/excitement about the race. In fact, don't mention the race again to him. Stay focused and picture yourself crossing the finish line! I did my first 5k last fall, and it feels fantastic!!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Ignore him. Some people are very threatened by other people succeeding. If you've been running all week while sick, you'll be fine - don't be afraid to slow down and walk if you need to - there are plenty of people who run/walk or even walk the 5Ks I've been to. You'll have a great time and feel so good about yourself for doing it afterwards. Good luck :-)
  • bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    One downfall of letting yourself get fatter and unhealthy is that people don't believe you are capable of many things anymore. Therefore, lots of people start off "slow" at the gym. If you have been running two miles in your neighborhood, there is definitely a minimal risk to doing a 5K. You will be amazed at how much adrenaline will be pumping in your body. Worse comes to worse, you get sick doing something trying to change your body instead of standing by and letting it beat you down.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    You can do it! Ignore SO and go for it. If you have to rest and walk do that! Knock them dead!
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    My two cents worth is JUST GO & have a great time! The only reason I'd stay home, is if you are fighting a fever... everything else is alright to deal with. Don't worry about your official time, just enjoy it! Mild aches, sniffles & sore throat aren't that big of a deal... I've run with those symptoms many times before. But definitely stay home if you have a fever... that's a bit of a different story.

Let us know how it goes!
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Go run it! You will never regret a race. EVER.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Wow. My dad was like that growing up. Every time I had a concert or a volleyball game, he'd always come up with some excuse not to make it. Just remember that you are doing this for you, and if he won't be there for you -- you will find others who will! Good luck!
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    I agree with everyone above as well. Race day is so different than running on your own. You will have energy you have never experienced before, and you will have a blast and feel so amazing when you finish. The run is all for you, no one else, so if your SO doesn't want to be there then so be it. This is your moment and will be your glory.
    Start off at your own comfort pace, let people pass you, no worries, it's your race not theirs. If you have something left at the end then kick it up a knotch and finish strong with a smile on your face. Have fun, enjoy every minute of it. :happy:
  • shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    Thanks, my MFPeeps! Feeling better and supported! :happy: (We need a runner smiley.)
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 499 Member
    Yeah! What they said! Tell your SO that being in a relationship means supporting each other.
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    You can do it!!!!!
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    YES! We need a runner smiley! Let me know how you make out tomorrow. You'll feel so great, during and after. It's a great experience.:happy:
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Go run it! You will never regret a race. EVER.

Amen.
  • shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    Update: SO has apologized and is now going with me. We just loaded up on turkey burgers. Yum! Thanks for all the encouragement! :heart:
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    I'm glad he saw it "OUR" way :) good job....now get to it! Run like the wind....
  • GypsyWagon
    GypsyWagon Posts: 82 Member
    I'm so glad he came around! And, good for you for sticking your ground!!! When I think back on the things I regret most in my life...it's rarely things I did...it's mostly things I *didn't*. Have a fabulous time tomorrow!!!