Entrees other than fish/chicken

Options
Rheameg
Rheameg Posts: 71 Member
I'm looking for easy low calorie low carb entrees. I'm tired of chicken and fish. Key word here is EASY. I'm poor and single with an under stocked kitchen. lol

Thank you!!

Replies

• MN1013
    MN1013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Big Mac Salad bowl....cooked ground hamburg, lettuce, onion, dill pickles, tomato & walden farms thousand island dressing.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Mizz_Mo Posts: 64 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Rheameg wrote: »
    I'm looking for easy low calorie low carb entrees. I'm tired of chicken and fish. Key word here is EASY. I'm poor and single with an under stocked kitchen. lol

Thank you!!

This is our go to: http://www.thugkitchen.com/roasted_chickpea_broccoli_burrito You will be surprise how freaking good - and filling - this dish is!!!

Chickpeas are usually on sale and they come in handy - keep them and other canned beans on hand for quick alternatives. Enjoy!!

WARNING: there is LOTS of cussing on this site - if this bugs you - just focus on the recipe!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Talapia is inexpensive and easy to cook. Some people don't even defrost it if the filets are thin. Just dump your favorite seasoning on them, maybe a squirt of lemon or lime, and broil or pan fry until cooked through.

Lean ground turkey can be used for anything you would normally use beef (although really lean beef is tastier, it's also a lot more expensive). Just use more seasoning, and if you want it to stick together in a patty or meatball, toss in an egg.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Mizz_Mo wrote: »
    Rheameg wrote: »

Thank you!!

This is our go to: http://www.thugkitchen.com/roasted_chickpea_broccoli_burrito You will be surprise how freaking good - and filling - this dish is!!!

Chickpeas are usually on sale and they come in handy - keep them and other canned beans on hand for quick alternatives. Enjoy!!

WARNING: there is LOTS of cussing on this site - if this bugs you - just focus on the recipe!

I guess "easy" is a relative term because that seems like a lot of prep to me.

OP, grill you a hamburger or pork chop with whatever seasoning you enjoy.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower. They make great cauliflower steaks, "rice", "rice" aracinis, baked patty cakes. Soups also make great appetisers - they can be thickened by flour, cornstarch, or by blitzing. Tomato soup and cauliflower "toast" is a great low carb option for an appetiser.

If you are game, try to go beyond the 'meat and 3 veg' western meal mindset where everything revolves around a central meat dish and has to have some appetiser and you'll see that it opens up a great variety of low carb options. I can name you ten times more low carb options if you break out of the western 'appetiser' mindset.

A good example is say, a beef and broccoli stir fry. Or a tofu and snow pea stir fry. Or a glass noodle (its not high in carb), tuna/tofu/tempeh, beansprout and spring onion hand-tossed salad with a light sweet chilli and lime dressing. Etc etc.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Talapia is inexpensive and easy to cook. Some people don't even defrost it if the filets are thin. Just dump your favorite seasoning on them, maybe a squirt of lemon or lime, and broil or pan fry until cooked through.

I do that. It also helps to prevent overcooking the fillet if it is a thin one.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    MN1013 wrote: »
    Big Mac Salad bowl....cooked ground hamburg, lettuce, onion, dill pickles, tomato & walden farms thousand island dressing.

That sounds really good.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Lamb/mutton, beef, pork chops. Shrimp/prawns.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Find a butcher that will sell you the little used cuts of meat (cheek, tongue, flat iron, etc), and learn how to braise them. Cheaper cuts, simple cooking.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Crustless quiche. Eggs are cheap, and you can add in literally whatever mix ins you like and or have on hand.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Find a butcher that will sell you the little used cuts of meat (cheek, tongue, flat iron, etc), and learn how to braise them. Cheaper cuts, simple cooking.

Crockpot also works really well for that. We love to buy the "strange" cuts of meat that a lot of our friends don't really eat.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Mizz_Mo Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I guess "easy" is a relative term because that seems like a lot of prep to me.

OP, grill you a hamburger or pork chop with whatever seasoning you enjoy.

I thought that at first - goes super quick!
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love chicken sausages (I get mine at trader joes) sautéed with cherry tomatoes, broccoli and tossed with some lentils and red wine vinegar. You can add cucumbers and feta and toss it on a bed of greens the next day. Day 3 make an omelette and chop everything a little smaller.

I prepare homemade turkey sloppy joe mix with chopped onions and green peppers and eat it as a sandwich one day and chili the next. Sauce is just ketchup (no HFCS), Worcestershire, chili powder and a bit of brown sugar + water.

stir frys or cheesesteaks are easy and supply you with a variety of meals. I buy thinly sliced beefsteak that comes in a small vacuum sealed package. I toss it with sautéed green peppers, onions, mushrooms and some garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce and eat it on a whole wheat sub bun one night. Day 2 with scrambled eggs. And if there's enough for day 3 toss it on a bed of romaine with some balsamic vinegar. Of course you can add some cheese if you wish!

• UtahDon
    UtahDon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Rheameg,

You've got some good ideas here, let me build on a few.

Eggs - We have eggs with salad at least twice a week for dinner. Cheap, low carb, and delicious. Sometimes I make a frittata or Spanish tortilla (google it) which usually feeds me several meals. Add leftovers, veggies, etc. and put a big wedge on top of spring mix with olive oil and vinegar. Amazing way to use up leftovers.

Pork - modern pork can be very lean, I buy pork tenderloin frequently. Once again, you cook it once and it will feed you multiple meals. I add teriyaki sauce and serve with edamame, even my kids eat it up.

I'll put in a plug for variety with chicken...you say you have an understocked kitchen which will make chicken and fish bland. You may want to invest in some spices or other ingredients to help. Chicken is such a clean and cheap protein, you can add variety while eating it every night. Chicken with artichoke hearts lemon and capers is different than chicken with bbq sauce, which is totally different than Jamaican Jerk Chicken with rice. I'll offer one link that I have used for ideas:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/05/11/magazine/mag-11eat-chicken.html

Good luck!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Chick peas - high in protein and fiber - easy to make curry and add to other dishes - and cheap
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Oh..another favorite of mine...black bean tacos!! Super easy. Lightly Mash rinsed and drained black beans with cilantro ,red onions, lots of cumin, and spread a corn tortilla with either chipotle laughing cow cheese or use the real stuff and add the mix and cook on both sides
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Why oh why do I always come across these threads at 3 in the afternoon when hunger is kicking in?
    Anyway 2nd the comment on keeping a variety of spices on hand. Often times I have more spices/ condiments on hand than I have food to season.
    ETA: If you have a dollar store or bulk store handy, you can get small amounts of seasoning fairly cheap.