Protein, Fat, and Carbs Calculating

Options
HailDawgs
HailDawgs Posts: 30 Member
Hi MFPals,

Hope you are all enjoying your Tuesday.

I want to be brief.

What is the most accurate (in your opinion) calculator that will tell me close to how many grams of Protein, Fat, and Carbs I should be consuming.

After very briefly speaking with a nutritionist one day, they said the values MFP auto-generates are not very good; hence, why I am not using theirs.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's not a matter of accuracy, it's preference, if I'm reading your question right.
    MFP has default settings that are in compliance with the American Dietary Guidelines.
    Macros can be determined by specific types of diets, weight loss goals, fitness goals, nutrition preference, medical condition, just to name a few.
    I'm not trying to be rude but if a nutritionist say's, "MFP are not very good" ask the nutritionist what is good?
    What ever you decide, good luck !

Edit, I am assuming your talking Macro % and not TDEE.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I started using an average from several different macro calculators...iifym, free dieting, scoobys, and one more I can't remember. I read a blog post from corina Nielsen that had a lot of valuable info to getting started with flexible dieting and I followed her advice of using an average.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    MFP is as accurate as you make it. I used IIFYM.com to initially work our my macros and use MFP to calculate my food to suit those numbers.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on your goals and health. Diabetics would keep carbs lower, people working on gaining muscle will need more protein that someone who is not, and those who want to be in ketosis will have high fat. There's a lot of ways to adjust your macros.