Malnutrition and calorie deficits

jjrscott
jjrscott Posts: 16 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been eating at a 1000 calorie deficit for the past three days. It's been tough, so I think I might lower the deficit to 700 calories, and eating 1500 a day.

My question is whether that's still too low if I'm coming out of malnutrition? I'm a college student, not doing much over the summer, and I don't eat this much green/veggies in a week as I have the past few days. Wit that being said, I see why I'm gaining weight, not having a period in 1.5 years, having thinning hair. I'm probably eating 90% empty calories and not getting nutrients.

If I take a multivitamin and eat at 1500 cals, should I still lose weight at a decent rate? Or should I still bump that up?

EDIT: I just realized this sounds like I'm anorexic. I'm not. Just fat, not eating enough nutrient dense foods... Or any at all. That's what I mean by malnutrition.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    If you are truly malnourished, you should not be trying to lose weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    I would worry about getting your health back in order first. Have you seen a doctor yet?
  • jjrscott
    I'm afraid of going to a doctor. I want to see if I can get my period back with diet first. I read that being overweight could cause not having one.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Why not just eat at at maintenance for a couple of weeks and see how you feel?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    jjrscott wrote: »
    I'm afraid of going to a doctor. I want to see if I can get my period back with diet first. I read that being overweight could cause not having one.

Don't be afraid of doctors. They have a lot of education to contribute that we can't! It sounds like your body is fighting hard right now and an evaluation of what nutrients you are missing is very important, rather than just throwing in a multi vitamin. I honestly recommend pursuing your health concerns other than weight FIRST because a deficit right now could make things worse!
  • jjrscott
    I don't think I can eat 2k calories of healthy food, lol. Seems like a lot.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member

So can being underweight.

What are your age, height, weight, and activity level?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015

Underweight too you hopefully meant.

• jjrscott
    kkenseth wrote: »

Don't be afraid of doctors. They have a lot of education to contribute that we can't! It sounds like your body is fighting hard right now and an evaluation of what nutrients you are missing is very important, rather than just throwing in a multi vitamin. I honestly recommend pursuing your health concerns other than weight FIRST because a deficit right now could make things worse!

I don't have insurance aside from student insurance, so I probably won't be seeing a doctor until a month from now, even then, it's not a real doctor, I don't think. I have a month to try to fix things on my own.
  • jjrscott
    jemhh wrote: »

So can being underweight.

What are your age, height, weight, and activity level?

I'm definitely obese. 19, 230ish (I'm guessing), sedentary.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member

I don't have insurance aside from student insurance, so I probably won't be seeing a doctor until a month from now, even then, it's not a real doctor, I don't think. I have a month to try to fix things on my own.

Be careful! What are your stats? How do you figure your deficits?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member

A month won't be long enough. Can your parents help you out with getting in to see someone at home?
  • jjrscott

Be careful! What are your stats? How do you figure your deficits?

MFP figured it for me, I just went with it.
  • jjrscott
    malibu927 wrote: »

A month won't be long enough. Can your parents help you out with getting in to see someone at home?

I don't have a doctor, so it'd probably just be the hospital. That's too much money, so in short, probably not.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    But none of us are better than the almost-doctor :/

If this is related to an eating disorder, there's specific advice on how and when to increase calories. (I'm not familiar with it myself, but I know it's usually done in a particular way.)

If it's related to your year and half of not having a period, something hormonal (and complicated!), you're definitely going to need medical attention.

I'm sorry it's not available to you :( You're in the States, right? What about the ACA?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I've been eating at a 1000 calorie deficit for the past three days. It's been tough, so I think I might lower the deficit to 700 calories, and eating 1500 a day.

My question is whether that's still too low if I'm coming out of malnutrition? I'm a college student, not doing much over the summer, and I don't eat this much green/veggies in a week as I have the past few days. Wit that being said, I see why I'm gaining weight, not having a period in 1.5 years, having thinning hair. I'm probably eating 90% empty calories and not getting nutrients.

If I take a multivitamin and eat at 1500 cals, should I still lose weight at a decent rate? Or should I still bump that up?
    If all of this is true, you need a doctor, dietitian and a therapist. Most colleges have at least medical care for free.

If you continue to lose, you will end up in the hospital, tied down to the bed, and with a tube down your throat. Or dead.

A treatment team is your best shot at health and at happiness.

Be smart. Get help. No excuses!
  • jjrscott
    edited July 2015
    tomatoey wrote: »
    But none of us are better than the almost-doctor :/

If this is related to an eating disorder, there's specific advice on how and when to increase calories. (I'm not familiar with it myself, but I know it's usually done in a particular way.)

If it's related to your year and half of not having a period, something hormonal (and complicated!), you're definitely going to need medical attention.

I'm sorry it's not available to you :( You're in the States, right? What about the ACA?

I don't have an eating disorder. I tend to eat my feelings, but I don't have any serious problems like that. Does the ACA just make sure I come out with a $3k bill instead of ten? Lmao.
  • jjrscott
    Kalikel wrote: »

If all of this is true, you need a doctor, dietitian and a therapist. Most colleges have at least medical care for free.

If you continue to lose, you will end up in the hospital, tied down to the bed, and with a tube down your throat. Or dead.

A treatment team is your best shot at health and at happiness.

Be smart. Get help. No excuses!

Wait, why do I need a therapist?
  • jjrscott
    EDIT: I just realized this sounds like I'm anorexic. I'm not. Just fat, not eating enough nutrient dense foods... Or any at all. That's what I mean by malnutrition.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Yeesh, so much silliness in this thread.

1). OP is correct, it is entirely possible to be overweight or obese and malnourished, even without "dieting". In fact most morbidly obese people are clinically malnourished.

2). A 1.5 year lack of menses in someone not dieting is not explained by malnutrition. You SHOULD see a doctor.