? can you really save calories and use them later

Options
13»

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like red wine. I don't drink every week but when I have it I do like 3 or 4 glasses. I know it's really bad for the belly. Can I really bad k those calories I don't use during the week and use them 2 or three times a month towards this without a huge negative impact?

Losing weight is calories in versus calories out over any amount of time. For example; If in a week you eat 3500 calories fewer than you burn you will lose a pound. If in a year you eat 3500 calories fewer than you burn you will lose a pound. So yes they are bankable.

That being said, due to logging errors you should not bank them for a long period of time. Most people look at a calorie intake by the day because that is much more manageable.
  • Blondie9292
    Blondie9292 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    I like red wine. I don't drink every week but when I have it I do like 3 or 4 glasses. I know it's really bad for the belly. Can I really bad k those calories I don't use during the week and use them 2 or three times a month towards this without a huge negative impact?

Losing weight is calories in versus calories out over any amount of time. For example; If in a week you eat 3500 calories fewer than you burn you will lose a pound. If in a year you eat 3500 calories fewer than you burn you will lose a pound. So yes they are bankable.

That being said, due to logging errors you should not bank them for a long period of time. Most people look at a calorie by the day because that is much more manageable.

• Blondie9292
    Blondie9292 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Makes perfect sense!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I so seriously wonder about this. I know that when I get enough sleep, on a regular basis, I lose more than when I don't. So sleep has to be tangled up in it all in some way(s). Do some chemicals do some kind of reset that I don't know about...that nobody knows about? I dunno. The sleep thing fascinates me, though.

Obviously, you can't cut 20 calories a day for a year and then pig out for a couple days and have it not count. There has to be some limit to the banking.

I'm not really sure exactly how it works.

I do go over and under all the time, sometimes by a lot. I continue to lose.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Obviously, you can't cut 20 calories a day for a year and then pig out for a couple days and have it not count. There has to be some limit to the banking.

Technically you could. If you were very accurate in your logging then it would all even out to you losing the same amount in that year than you would if you at the same amount of calories spread out evenly. (though you may have some extra water weight after a few days of pigging out)
  • WyshIKnew
    WyshIKnew Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just my own thoughts, but.....

I don't think it is a healthy attitude to look at saving calories up for the sole purpose of having a splurge on such and such a day.
    That, to me, seems to indicate that your food is still the boss of you whereas you should be the boss of your food.

My own thoughts are that this is a lifestyle change and not a life sentence of being scared of your food and letting it rule your life.

I feel that rather than 'saving' calories it should be a case of "so I splurged today on my birthday, Christmas, wedding anniversary whatever. So freaking what!". Just continue to make healthy choices following the splurge.

'Normal' people don't let their food rule their life to such an extent that they go into a tail spin of self recrimination if they eat extra on one particular day. They just continue making healthy choices before and after that day.

I for one do not intend to live my life too scared to attend a party, go for a few beers once in a blue moon etc.

Having said that, I think this is an attitude that can only be properly achieved with time, allowing your body and mind to eat and exercise normally. I certainly wouldn't advocate splurging within the first few months of your fitness plan!