Healthy ideas!

Options
bailbug99
bailbug99 Posts: 10 Member
Okay so here's the thing, I love baking, cooking, and everything about being in the kitchen, but now that I'm trying to reduce calories, and sugar, etc., its hard to keep up with my love for baking and my love for snacking.
Does anyone have any healthy recipes, substitutions, or whatever? I'm allergic to milk, but I have soy, and can use margarine.
thanks in advance!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just because you bake doesn't mean you have to eat what you make! I bake because I enjoy it and just hand the goodies over to other people!

There are plenty of alternatives/substitutions to make things lower cal, or more diet/macro friendly, but tbh they don't compare. During a severe clean eating phase, I tried to convince myself for ages that they did.... Now I'll eat the real thing, just less of it or less often
  • xamberlynn
    xamberlynn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You know, I'm struggling with the same issues. I love to cook, but it's tough giving up some of my favorite recipes for low calorie ones. I've found Pinterest to be extremely helpful, though. Lots of healthy recipes, and tons of useful substitutions to make those recipes and snacks much healthier.
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    While I'm not shy about baking and eating sweets of all kinds with all types of ingredients, I do like to experiment with healthifying baked goods. Although, much of what I've tried might or might not result in fewer calories, but rather more nutrients (trying to create that fantasy world). Anyway, I've had luck baking banana-based sweet breads. Also replacing sugar with bananas, apple sauce, or just reducing it all together since I find many recipes can be plenty sweet with much less sugar (you just have to watch that changing sugar doesn't ruin the integrity or consistency of the product). Chocolate-based sweets are also good to expiriment with since coco powder can add loads of taste and a dessert-like feel, but is itself low in calories. Adding shredded carrots, zucchini, beets or even cooked whole grains like millet or amaranth where appropriate also make things like muffins or sweet bread seem more healthy. If you can eat yogurt, I've tasted wonderful brownies and cakes that use yogurt to replace some oil. Also nut butters can add nutrients and flavor (but don't reduce overall fat). I can't remember a precise recipe off hand and I often expiriment on the fly anyway. If you want something quick and healthy that can feel dessert-like, waffles with whole grains, nut flours, flax, berries, maybe coconut flour or shreds, and topped with small amount of syrup or honey and yogurt can hit the spot for me. Not always low calorie, but filling and nutritious plus the crunch of the waffle makes it.
  • bailbug99
    Options
    While I'm not shy about baking and eating sweets of all kinds with all types of ingredients, I do like to experiment with healthifying baked goods. Although, much of what I've tried might or might not result in fewer calories, but rather more nutrients (trying to create that fantasy world). Anyway, I've had luck baking banana-based sweet breads. Also replacing sugar with bananas, apple sauce, or just reducing it all together since I find many recipes can be plenty sweet with much less sugar (you just have to watch that changing sugar doesn't ruin the integrity or consistency of the product). Chocolate-based sweets are also good to expiriment with since coco powder can add loads of taste and a dessert-like feel, but is itself low in calories. Adding shredded carrots, zucchini, beets or even cooked whole grains like millet or amaranth where appropriate also make things like muffins or sweet bread seem more healthy. If you can eat yogurt, I've tasted wonderful brownies and cakes that use yogurt to replace some oil. Also nut butters can add nutrients and flavor (but don't reduce overall fat). I can't remember a precise recipe off hand and I often expiriment on the fly anyway. If you want something quick and healthy that can feel dessert-like, waffles with whole grains, nut flours, flax, berries, maybe coconut flour or shreds, and topped with small amount of syrup or honey and yogurt can hit the spot for me. Not always low calorie, but filling and nutritious plus the crunch of the waffle makes it.

Thank you so much!
  • christinapapou
    christinapapou Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I still eat the way i used to but control my portions now. I love to bake and cook but i only do it 2-3 times a week now to watch what i eat. I made a rule that if we have a nice meal one night, the next day we have salad for dinner even if there's leftovers. I come from a Greek family which always have a big meal for dinner so it was very hard at first but my goal has to be more important then food. Besides its great to have a treat after you worked so hard all week. I look forward to it now. Whats great about this site is you can log your recipes and see how many calories a portion is. Another good thing is to change some products you buy for food for fat free or low cal. I love bacon but limit myself at lunch to one slice but to do that i buy the great value brand from walmart and its low in sodium. One slice is 75cal about but when i add it with egg whites (30 cal serving) its not that bad. I also try to follow he food guide. So if i have pasta one night with tomato sauce i know its alot of carbs so i reuce my carb intake during the day so i can enjoy my meal at night. Hope this helps
  • bailbug99
    Options
    I still eat the way i used to but control my portions now. I love to bake and cook but i only do it 2-3 times a week now to watch what i eat. I made a rule that if we have a nice meal one night, the next day we have salad for dinner even if there's leftovers. I come from a Greek family which always have a big meal for dinner so it was very hard at first but my goal has to be more important then food. Besides its great to have a treat after you worked so hard all week. I look forward to it now. Whats great about this site is you can log your recipes and see how many calories a portion is. Another good thing is to change some products you buy for food for fat free or low cal. I love bacon but limit myself at lunch to one slice but to do that i buy the great value brand from walmart and its low in sodium. One slice is 75cal about but when i add it with egg whites (30 cal serving) its not that bad. I also try to follow he food guide. So if i have pasta one night with tomato sauce i know its alot of carbs so i reuce my carb intake during the day so i can enjoy my meal at night. Hope this helps

Thank you so much!
  • Spiritfoxx96
    Spiritfoxx96 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    http://www.topwithcinnamon.com/2014/12/small-batch-chocolate-chip-cookies.html These cookies are the besstt, I am not all that certain they're healthier.. Well coconut oil > butter. Also, the coconut gives the cookie its own sweetness. I fell in love with the dough too..*-* If you make them, hope you like them :D
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Check out chocolatecoveredkatie.com - lots of amazing and healthy desserts. Black bean brownies, cookie dough dip etc.
  • bailbug99
    Options
    Check out chocolatecoveredkatie.com - lots of amazing and healthy desserts. Black bean brownies, cookie dough dip etc.
    http://www.topwithcinnamon.com/2014/12/small-batch-chocolate-chip-cookies.html These cookies are the besstt, I am not all that certain they're healthier.. Well coconut oil > butter. Also, the coconut gives the cookie its own sweetness. I fell in love with the dough too..*-* If you make them, hope you like them :D

Thanks! :)